Bowling Guide!

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Getting decent turn now. Still only 16, and my drift stat is just above halfway. Future is looking bright! I know it looks like it hit the cracks (although I was aiming for them I swear!), but I'm not sure that has/had much of an effect

K5b9iw6l.jpg
Gf4snR5l.jpg

'Real world' logic would tell me that it would have an effect since that would be what a spinner would aim for. Of course this would explain why it frustrates me so much when my captain in DBC14 puts my career spinner on 5 overs in when the pitch is still fresh.

As for whether the cracks are just for show in this game, well only Big Ant can confirm, but I suspect it is significant.

----------

I was wondering, during a career game how do you guys formulate a bowling plan? In a casual/tour match it's quite easy because I can get x bowler to bowl on the off stump and Y bowler to bowl onto leg stump. However during career having control of only one bowler makes this slightly difficult. I've tried to combat this by bowling x amount of deliveries inswinging to off stump, then the odd one out-swinging from leg. Anybody have any other methods?.

When I bowl pace, I try to aim for the 'corridor of uncertainty', perhaps the 2nd or 3rd ball being a bouncer swinging out from middle and off. Occasionally I will try an inswinging yorker but that one is tough because you reall have to make sure the ball lands right on the batsman's feet. Its incredible easy to bowl a full toss trying to do this.

tandy45

Club Captain
When I bowl pace, I try to aim for the 'corridor of uncertainty', perhaps the 2nd or 3rd ball being a bouncer swinging out from middle and off. Occasionally I will try an inswinging yorker but that one is tough because you reall have to make sure the ball lands right on the batsman's feet. Its incredible easy to bowl a full toss trying to do this.

I'm slowly picking the line off of off-stump as my favoured line, and playing the occasional yorker, I rarely tend to bounce the ball as I always get smashed around the park. I've also found that playing a slower ball tends to help too, though not as effectively as I'd like.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
I'm slowly picking the line off of off-stump as my favoured line, and playing the occasional yorker, I rarely tend to bounce the ball as I always get smashed around the park. I've also found that playing a slower ball tends to help too, though not as effectively as I'd like.

It depends on the bouncers. Always check the batsman's strengths and weaknesses. If the batsman is weak on the back foot, it's always worth trying a bouncer or two, since there is a fair chance he'll flap at it and fail to keep the bat down. Similarly with batsmen whose strength is on the front foot. Just don't do it to batsmen whose strength is on the back foot, or even flat bat.

Last edited:

kashan123999

has said thanks for this post
Hello there i have a query

can anyone link me to the guide about what the fuss is with spin,i try to spin a leg-break but it always always turns out a googly,wtf is that?And Yes I am doing the basics right choosing the right direction of LAS etc and rotating it Aswell,I don't know sometimes it spins like crazy and at other times it just doesn't spins and mostly when it spins it is in opposite direction

Please answer this query

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Please answer this query

Literally the first post in this thread! That guide is quite literally how it works. Other that what was posted a page or so ago, I don't really know what else there is to explain. Aim for cracks/rough areas, and do as the guide suggests. That's what I do anyway. On some pitches the ball will not turn well, but on dusty, cracked surfaces it works best.

And yep, the ball does turn ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Everyone appreciating the game, though there are serious bugs in the game especially relating to Fast Bowling. I took 127 times hattrick, 76 times five wickets in an inning and 32 times ten wickets in an inning with fast bowler having strike rate between 1 to 2 balls in all formats of the game and All wickets I have taken by bowled out batsman. Further batsman got bowled without bowl hit the wickets around 99% times.
I hope this kind of bugs will be address by Bigant in near future. And also I hope that they will make Batting against fast bowling a little easy and fast bowling a little difficult.

I don't believe you. Put up a video.

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Everyone appreciating the game, though there are serious bugs in the game especially relating to Fast Bowling. I took 127 times hattrick, 76 times five wickets in an inning and 32 times ten wickets in an inning with fast bowler having strike rate between 1 to 2 balls in all formats of the game and All wickets I have taken by bowled out batsman. Further batsman got bowled without bowl hit the wickets around 99% times.
I hope this kind of bugs will be address by Bigant in near future. And also I hope that they will make Batting against fast bowling a little easy and fast bowling a little difficult.

Are you telling porkies?:clap

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I was being sarcastic. It's hard to get that across via the magic of the Internet.:rolleyes

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Considering there's a screen in game that actually keeps track of most of those things, it isn't something to difficult to prove. Indeed, if I was that good, I'd happily go to the Awards section from the 'Awards & Stats' menu and post a screenshot.

Alberts

International Coach
Considering there's a screen in game that actually keeps track of most of those things, it isn't something to difficult to prove. Indeed, if I was that good, I'd happily go to the Awards section from the 'Awards & Stats' menu and post a screenshot.

Let's just wait...

DM7i0gA.jpg

Action22

School Cricketer
Giving up on bowling

Difficulty - Pro

As a bowler, I prefer bowling aspect of any cricket game than batting. I am not frustrated or dissapointed just moved on to realize the fact of the game its rigged against bowling. I have tried tactics which would make Ponting, Waugh, Jardine all seem like amateurs. You name it ive done it. Still! An India vs England Tour mode test match they made 435 all out. Mostly part-timers or pie-tossers as KP would call them get in the wickets tally

What all did I try? (Note pressing R3 prompts a AI player weakness text but it bears no reality to their weakness)

A consistent wide outside the off stump line bouncer with I Sharma and V Aaron, all batsmen consistently kept cutting the ball on back foot only to land short of 3rd and 4th slips while slapping some on point and having blocked. The occasional aggressive loft above the slip cordon to find the minimalist of gaps on field. AI confidence was low, all of my bowlers were raging with confidence but no success to follow

Started the innings with the general outswing and outside seamed deliveries with a plethora of slips the batsman kept whacking them. Found the 1st wicket early just 6 overs in with a slip catch.

Moved on to a yorker surprise delivery tactic, the batsmen lifts it next to short stop behind the keeper or cuts an inswinging delivery headed for his legs by the slip cordon. Having fielders in those specific spots made no difference, he just found a gap

Inswinging deliveries hit everywhere on the legside and onside.

Lastly, any delivery thats on good length and player misses, goes above the bails. Effectively ruling out bowled or LBW, so with those out of the question, all catches falling short of the fielders like I explained, fast bowling is of no use.

Spin Bowling,

While the maiden overs building up and variation increasing does get some misses from the batsman, never did I get an edge.

Off spinner - Ashwin
Bowled over and around the wicket, the go to shot is a sweep shot which always falls short of the fielder. Out of 23 overs bowled, 3 per over, out of 46 possible catches to land in fielders hand only 1 actually got caught at backward square leg.

Wrist spinner - Chawla
The AI is more defensive, but manages to slog off the 4th or 5th bowl, even if I change the field on the 4th or 5th ball he finds a way to score off it. Sweeps get lesser and fwd defense gets more common. Close in fielders did not catch once, edges did not fly either.

Randomness- My part timers found the most success with catches falling to backward square leg or mid on and mid off much like the pre-patch 2 era.

So in Conclusion the game is rigged and bowling is not a part of game anymore.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I'm finding bowling fine ATM on my career game at Pro level. Offspinning bowling allrounder, sure I've only bowled about 20 overs in my first FC game, but I have 2 wickets and a tidy economy to show for it, by constantly varying angles, length and deliveries. Got Kane Williamson bowled on the slog and Andy Hodd caught at deep backward square leg as he timed the pants off a flick off a legside half volley.

Basically building pressure and varying my deliveries seems to be doing the trick. Inducing a fair few play and misses and miscues - missed Alex Lees' legstump by a coat of varnish when he had accumulated 50 odd off 100 something deliveries by bowling a slow straight flighted one after a few offies outside off.

Not noticing much spin even when I rev it up to 700 RPM; and noticed Borthwick was able to rip it at 1000 RPM but I don't think he was getting much spin either. Probably has to do with the pitch; game one of the county season so not likely to be much in it for the spinners.

Action22

School Cricketer
Its the fact that your confidence or the batsman confidence has nothing to do with the way dismissals are happening. The fact that their weakness shown by R3 has nothing to do with it. More over if you bowling to a field set for the batsman, that has nothing to do with it.

Lastly, if all these things are not working, isnt getting wickets just a random chance? How about the shots they get away with? The random slog at will, I could have the heaviest point, cover and third man regions, he will find a boundary if he wants.

Users who are viewing this thread