Cricket 22 General Discussion thread (Use bug report thread for issues/bugs/crashes | Patch notes in first post)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Thinking out loud here and not meant in a negative way …

But… I do think the target audience is wrong.

So much focus on accessibility and little gimmicks that yes may appeal to a very casual player but makes 0 difference to a die hard cricket fan.

I have mentioned before I chat to the kids at school and mates etc.

There’s ones who love cricket and would buy it on release.

Theres ones that love cricket but wouldn’t play a cricket game.

Theres ones who don’t mind cricket and think your a boring sad case for playing a cricket video game.

And there’s the ones that hate cricket and won’t even look at the game.

And finally the ones that don’t mind it don’t love it.. may randomly impulsively drop 50 quid on it and play it for a weekend and forget about it.

In my opinion I’m certain that the players that truly play this game or any cricket game all year round are your cricket enthusiasts.

And with that being said they want the game to represent the game of cricket in the most realistic way possible.

I understand it’s a business I understand money needs to be made. And maybe it works targeting the impulse buys.

But for the longevity of the game. For the community creations to flourish and DLC to be purchased, I think it’s the cricket fanatics that ensure that happens and if the gameplay is poor they are the ones who then drop off.

Just a little ramble.. I think the focus sometimes is in the wrong place. IGN basically saying how cricket was boring etc etc I thought was a bit of an insult to a company who clearly are passionate about it.

But it’s a business.. and quite frankly I have no idea what works and what doesn’t!
I’m all for them pushing accessibility both to make more sales to secure the franchise and also to evangelise what a great sport this is.

but not at the expense of decent gameplay experience where as I think @cricket_online said it actually compromises the representation of the sport that’s absurd.

mans their definition of accessibly is bizarre. Shot replacement where they play the animation of the shot you chose but put the ball where they think it should go... how does that help anyone learn the game? You’d just think “this is bugged”. Why not just have a VERY forgiving shot choice and timing window on a beginner level?

Crassus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
I’m all for them pushing accessibility both to make more sales to secure the franchise and also to evangelise what a great sport this is.

but not at the expense of decent gameplay experience where as I think @cricket_online said it actually compromises the representation of the sport that’s absurd.

mans their definition of accessibly is bizarre. Shot replacement where they play the animation of the shot you chose but put the ball where they think it should go... how does that help anyone learn the game? You’d just think “this is bugged”. Why not just have a VERY forgiving shot choice and timing window on a beginner level?

If BA's remit is to bring in more casual players to bump up sales then releasing a game that you can't actually play at the moment might not be the best business strategy...

MatrixNeo14

Club Captain
Profile Flag
South Africa
I've been playing a casual career on Xbox One, waiting for the patch, looking for any small positives I can find, but the some of the negatives are really getting to me know. Here are the latest ones I've experienced together with the constant crashes when loading screen appear.

Playing as a spin bowler, the batsman would play a defensive shot and the ball would roll slightly to my left, then the batsmen would take a single while the bowler just stands there looking at them. Happened about three times last night, and the third time the keeper chased down the ball, picked it up and nearly killed the bowler with the throw and that resulted in some overthrows. I know even in C19 there is a slight delay in the bowler's reaction time after he's bowled a ball, but I swear this delayed reaction is even worse than the delayed running between the wickets.

The next thing that's made me park the game for a while... when facing a spinner, if the ball pitches around leg stump on a good length, I can't go forward to drive or nudge it to mid-wicket. I can't connect a glance either. It either doesn't connect or the batsman decides to play a full blooded pull shot and tries to launch the ball into a different postal code. When you try go on to the back foot it doesn't connect either. The same shots we've been playing in C19 now doesn't even come near the ball in C22. It also doesn't help when the AI bowls around the wicket most of the time and when the AI captain brings two spinners into the attack in the 5th over of a 3 day match...

Mondy

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Would be a half-decent game if it didn’t crash every single time (playing on PS4). Also, the AI is stupid. You hit the ball multiple times in the same spot for a boundary and it keeps bowling the same ball without making a change to the field. But I feel like that’s the least of the games worries given it’s basically unplayable with the multiple crashes.

AnmolJ

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
So they’ve animated that absurd tennis shot to the short ball, and prioritised AI triggering it over a hook or a cut, even when the player is a “traditionalist” and they still haven’t animated a player diving forward to take a catch.

Tells you everything you need to know about this two-bit company and this terrible, POS, half-baked game.

If you’re fortunate enough to have not already purchased this game DO NOT BUY IT.
While playing a test match try keeping AI Run Rate at 20 and you won't see AI playing these shots
Plus you need to save the match and resume it again for the sliders to work

Ace123

International Cricketer
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Thinking out loud here and not meant in a negative way …

But… I do think the target audience is wrong.

So much focus on accessibility and little gimmicks that yes may appeal to a very casual player but makes 0 difference to a die hard cricket fan.

I have mentioned before I chat to the kids at school and mates etc.

There’s ones who love cricket and would buy it on release.

Theres ones that love cricket but wouldn’t play a cricket game.

Theres ones who don’t mind cricket and think your a boring sad case for playing a cricket video game.

And there’s the ones that hate cricket and won’t even look at the game.

And finally the ones that don’t mind it don’t love it.. may randomly impulsively drop 50 quid on it and play it for a weekend and forget about it.

In my opinion I’m certain that the players that truly play this game or any cricket game all year round are your cricket enthusiasts.

And with that being said they want the game to represent the game of cricket in the most realistic way possible.

I understand it’s a business I understand money needs to be made. And maybe it works targeting the impulse buys.

But for the longevity of the game. For the community creations to flourish and DLC to be purchased, I think it’s the cricket fanatics that ensure that happens and if the gameplay is poor they are the ones who then drop off.

Just a little ramble.. I think the focus sometimes is in the wrong place. IGN basically saying how cricket was boring etc etc I thought was a bit of an insult to a company who clearly are passionate about it.

But it’s a business.. and quite frankly I have no idea what works and what doesn’t!
Completely agree this. sometime I feel that, they were forced/hurried to release the game ahead of Ashes and BBL to capture their target audience (the casual users), that they forgot to provide the real immersion required for the enthusiastic users. The lack of promotion to game and their idea to let IGN team to test gameplay says it all.

Mondy

Club Captain
It’s so frustrating to see that weird pull shot animation against the spinners again when all you want to do is tuck it around the corner. And there’s something unethical about the fact that your player can be hit in the head multiple times but show no damage. I’m pretty sure Lara 99 had animations when a player was hit - but not Big Ant. As someone said to Ross on Twitter, it’s not great to pay $99 to be a beta tester.

I blame Bajo.

donchadman

School Cricketer
Tried a couple of games today, and I haven’t been so disappointed. For those who are enjoying the game, I’m happy for you guys but as a DBC veteran, the newer games have been sickening.

Here are my biggest problems with the BigAnt approach to the last couple of cricket games.

1. The “make it accessible to all” approach has been really detrimental to the franchise. Batting has gone through a severe downgrade. I am not talking about batting styles, type of shots but the feel of the overall batting. It used to feel quite punchy, responsive, powerful and almost life-like. Although there’s a lot of potential audience out there that are yet to be tapped into, making it all easy and accessible certainly doesn’t help when it comes to the cost of ruining what your OG player-base is used to.
  2. No updates to old assets. Really? It’s freaking 2021 and they’re still using the same assets for trees, stadia and environment. Come on guys. The game looks like DBC17, and even that game looked much much better.
  3. Absolutely sub-par environments and environmental sounds. The crowd sounds, the announcer, the commentary, the ambient noises are so disappointing. It does not gel together as well it should. The game feels absolutely grim and there are no lively sounds that actually make you feel like you’re in the middle of a stadium. Don Bradman 14 had MUCH MUCH MUCH better sounds and commentary than the newer games.
  4. They couldn’t even bother updating the older stadiums. Stadiums such as “Dharamshala” looked much much better in the previous games, and they now look like absolute crap.
  5. FLOATY BALL PHYSICS - Really!? There’s this strange lag when you deposit the ball into the air. It doesn’t even feel like you’re hitting a six. The ball physics are floaty and absolutely awful.

Mobile game studios such as the WCC3 studio, have nailed most of these aspects by a huge margin. BigAnt has no excuses for any of these short-comings considering the fact that their first ever attempt at a cricket game, was ideally what should’ve been refined and built upon.
They need to go back to the drawing board and consider changing to the DBC14 engine. The newer games are abysmal and a stain to the DBC franchise. My apologies if this sounded harsh but this cuts like a knife. We’ve been sold the same game, with new minor additions here and there that are absolutely useless when the basic gameplay isn’t even right.

Oh, well. Back to DBC14.

Slug1793

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England

You make a really valid point here, the only other games I really play are fifa and the Batman Arkham franchise, but with these, if I press the wrong button when I shoot or try to use the grapple etc, the game doesn’t go, ohhh we see what you’re trying to do here, let’s help with that, instead it does what you told it to do (cross the ball, or duck for example) therefore making me go ahhh that was wrong, I’ll have to get better at that. It’s negative reinforcement and that just leads to confusion and frustration, because when that person gets better, goes up the difficulty levels and it no longer happens, they think it’s broken

The_Pharoah

International Coach
Well after playing for 2 days or so I’m actually enjoying it. Yeah it’s not perfect but it’s definitely an improvement on C19. The new batting and bowling animations look a lot smoother. Yeah I experienced the odd “AI doesn’t know what to do” but for the most part it’s been good. I’m still in club mode though. I’m enjoying the new career mode improvements. Not all of them work (or seem to for me eg nets? Can’t win any silly games at the gym?)
There’s a lot of negativity here - fair enough - companies are getting used to releasing unfinished games because “everyone does it ” - not good enough. come on BA - I’ve/we’ve supported you right from before DB14. Dont let us down now.

midhun333

International Cricketer
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I just had a BBL game where I was not able to release the ball at the right time. Hence the weak release and was getting smacked. It was happening only with some bowlers. Once I went from hard difficulty to medium, the problem got fixed. Is anyone else facing this issue. I am on ps4.

Also the game crashed while trying to download teams. Not being able to edit the opposition team's lineup is also frustrating. If tomorrow's patch doesn't come out good I am going for a refund.

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
AI has had 3 run outs in 40 overs.

Another c19 issue not addressed. Handing me the mechanic so I can choose whether to run them out or not isn’t an improvement.
Just started a test, on Legend AI, so, in theory, the hardest level and best AI etc.

They are 23/3 after two suicidal run outs already.

Fielding and running is absolutely killing this game.

Users who are viewing this thread