3rd Test: Australia v England at The WACA, Perth, 13-17 Dec

If I was a member of the coaching staff I'd be sending Swann and Anderson home. They have played so much cricket in the last few years that they deserve a break, they need to get home and rest up.

Next test I would go with the following

Cook
Carberry
Bell
Pietersen
Root
Ballance
Stokes
Bairstow (wk)
Bresnan
Finn
Rankin

Let root and Pietersen spin. I am still amazed that Compton didn't get a call up when Trotty went home, I'd have had him in at 3 all series.

Think you've nailed in the XI I would play for Melbourne (Broad over Bresnan IF he's fit, of course). Ideally would have Compton on the earliest flight to Melbourne and open him with Cook, but it doesn't sadly work that way...

Anderson, Pietersen and Swann are getting their breaks eventually, considering they haven't been named in the ODI squad, but agree Jimmy and Swanny need a break straightaway.

Anderson should be dropped imo, they shafted Hoggard a few years back for having one bad test. Anderson has been poor all series and needs to go, along with Swann and Prior really. Probably could have done with Onions in the end eh... :facepalm

Anderson should be dropped imo, they shafted Hoggard a few years back for having one bad test. Anderson has been poor all series and needs to go, along with Swann and Prior really. Probably could have done with Onions in the end eh... :facepalm

Anderson is coming to the end. 32 during the next English summer and has been dealing with a heavy workload.

Prior has had a bad series. It happens. He will be fine to carry on as keeper in the Sri Lanka and India series. Bairstow is likely to be the long term replacement.

Swann will be fine. Again, a bad series. He might be the oldest in the team but he is very fit. Again, a replacement needs to be sought but he is fine for now.

Let's not panic. The Aussies have bigger problems.

The Aussies have bigger problems.

:facepalm

Gotta be a wind up surely?.

We were out classed, out battled, out thought, we has our arses torn to shreds

Aussies look a bloody good side to me.

We on the other hand just showed the standard bottling we do as country in football and most sports, when it's time for the crunch we just roll over.

Swann needs to go now, no point carrying on with someone in their mid 30's, time to rebuild, I'd stick with Prior, think he will come good, just having a really shit time right now, the rest I'd stick with

:facepalm

Gotta be a wind up surely?.

We were out classed, out battled, out thought, we has our arses torn to shreds

Aussies look a bloody good side to me.

We on the other hand just showed the standard bottling we do as country in football and most sports, when it's time for the crunch we just roll over.

Swann needs to go now, no point carrying on with someone in their mid 30's, time to rebuild, I'd stick with Prior, think he will come good, just having a really shit time right now, the rest I'd stick with

Not a wind up.

Warner, Smith, Siddle and Lyon are the only players in that Australia team who are under the age of 30. A lot of these players do not have long left and will need replacing. Watson and Clarke have chronic injuries.

By the time we tour Australia again in 2016 the Aussies will have had to go through yet another huge transition.

Player|Age
David Warner|27
Chris Rogers|36
Shane Watson|32
Michael Clarke|32
Steven Smith|24
George Bailey|31
Brad Haddin|36
Mitchell Johnson|32
Peter Siddle|29
Ryan Harris|34
Nathan Lyon|26

^^

Ok yea maybe in by 2016 they will have to make changes - but as it stands right now to say they have "bigger problems" that England doesn't make any sense.

^^

Ok yea maybe in by 2016 they will have to make changes - but as it stands right now to say they have "bigger problems" that England doesn't make any sense.

Between now and the 2016 Ashes England will win more Test series than Australia. I bet you.

Not a wind up.

Warner, Smith, Siddle and Lyon are the only players in that Australia team who are under the age of 30. A lot of these players do not have long left and will need replacing. Watson and Clarke have chronic injuries.

By the time we tour Australia again in 2016 the Aussies will have had to go through yet another huge transition.

Player|Age
David Warner|27
Chris Rogers|36
Shane Watson|32
Michael Clarke|32
Steven Smith|24
George Bailey|31
Brad Haddin|36
Mitchell Johnson|32
Peter Siddle|29
Ryan Harris|34
Nathan Lyon|26

To me don't see how you can be looking that far forward, I'm looking at now, and we are in a worse state, if I was a betting man based on what we have just witnessed I'd be backing Aussies to retain in 2 years time.

This beating has been coming since the summer, we may have done them then but it was far from convincing

To me don't see how you can be looking that far forward, I'm looking at now, and we are in a worse state, if I was a betting man based on what we have just witnessed I'd be backing Aussies to retain in 2 years time.

This beating has been coming since the summer, we may have done them then but it was far from convincing

I have more confidence because the only players who are actually better than ours in the Australian side are Clarke, an on form Johnson and Harris.

English cricket is not in crisis. We have some excellent youngsters coming through and some players in the team now who have just had a bad series.

I don't think we are in crisis

Nor do I believe we are as good as we were 2/3 years ago, every team has their day and I think our teams best days have been and gone.

I'm just glad that I finally got to watch a dominant quality England team in my lifetime as an England football fan mainly it is the closest feeling I'll ever have.

Between now and the 2016 Ashes England will win more Test series than Australia. I bet you.

Ha, i think you might be jumping the gun with such a prediction.

I also don't believe ENG are in a crisis, young talent is around - although i can see a struggle to find a Swann replacement.

However i don't know what you know about AUS upcoming and reserve players, but it isn't exactly shabby either.

Pattinson/Starc/Bollinger/Cutting/Bird/A McDermott and in the pace reserves - many would tell you if Pattinson was fit - Johnson probably would not have started this series.

Phil Hughes is still young & he could very well after years of struggles just like Johnson could finally sort himself out.

Faulkner is very good all-rounder. Mitchell Marsh, Callum Ferguson, Tom Cooper, Kurtis Patterson, Fawad Ahmed, Wade, Tim Paine, J Burs, A Doolan etc are other future players who are being monitored. Wouldn't put my head on block that they all will become the real deal - but just like with ENG talent is evident.

There was a press conference going on, and a presentation too, but a casual glance at Alastair Cook wouldn't have told you so. The WACA Test was lost, The Ashes were lost, and Cook looked like he was lost too. The questions were being asked and answered, and although he was the one answering them, Cook seemed far away. For the first time since his appointment at the helm, the mask slipped and he just said what was on his mind rather than the sanitized version from the ECB. He told the hounds that there were players who were fighting for their careers, and that the dressing room wasn't a nice place to be. While this seems obvious to the casual observer, to hear it from the inside is surprising and telling.

When Alastair Cook took over the helm, he graduated through the usual route of the One-Day captaincy. He inherited a team that had been sculpted by England's previous captain, Andrew Strauss. Strauss had built more than just a team: it was like his own private army, and driving things from behind the scenes was Andy Flower. Flower's close bond with Strauss was always going to make it difficult for the successor, and sure enough, Alastair Cook is yet to put his own stamp on the team.

Full article:
Cook, Broad and the leadership vacuum - The Popping Crease

Users who are viewing this thread