2nd Test: Australia v England at The Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, 5-9 Dec

Panesar out-bowled Swann.
A ridiculous number of wickets in this series caught on the leg side. England get into slog or out mode way too quickly.

yep!! Not to take anything away from a very good Johnson and decent support acts in Harris and Siddle but let us be honest, this isn't too different a bowling attack or team than the last to Aussie outfits England hammered. The difference?

Well England look lost at see, they look like boys trying to play a man's game. They are scared to say stuff back to the Aussies, they look scared every time someone even looks at them. This has quite possibly been the most spineless England performance I've seen in probably a decade.

Props to Bell playing ok and Carberry doing well too but everyone else has looked like they've never held a bat before. Where's the intensity? The aggression? The NEED to win? Most importantly, where are the balls? England seem to have come over for the paycheck :facepalm

The real worry is that if we're struggling to 172 and 240/6 on a flat deck with no bounce what is going to happen on Friday at Perth?

It's another terrible day for England but some of the reactions are bordering on hysterical.

Johnson, who spent most of his last Ashes campaign bowling in the low 80s, has suddenly rediscovered how to bowl straight at 95, and that's a big factor in a game where 3 or 4 isolated deliveries or a fine spell can make the difference between a side making 400 or 200.

England are making errors of judgement under pressure, and the situation has snowballed into more pressure and more banal shot choices.

To an extent I think people have simply overestimated the difference in ability between the two sides over the past few years. I think Gatting was on record before the tour that he simply couldn't imagine England losing because Australia just didn't have the players, and I think that was probably the dominant view in the ECB.

Do England's bowling machines only go up to 85mph? I thought they'd have had a 'Johnson' net where the ball is constantly coming down at 95mph between the first first and second tests...clearly not.

I think picking two spinners was a good idea - the pitch is clearly turning, and MiJo was clearly the best of the Aussie bowlers and would have got the bowling figures he got on a completely dead Indian pitch. Besides, without Panesar, England would have been all-out for less than 150...

The covers are on! :cheers

tumblr_lxo5tzMo921qd0r1zo1_500.gif

Ok the rain didn't stick around for long.

Broad is an absolute twat! Why is he playing a shot like that when you're meant to be trying to save the game???

Senseless. Utterly senseless.
First over of 90, instead of blocking out Broad decides to smash it. Fell for it.

As soon as Broad hit that 6 I was like "what the hell is be doing?".
The plan was to keep Aus in the field, put overs in their legs etc but looks like Broad didn't get the memo...

50 for Prior. Big innings this.
Jim Maxwell's voice reminds me too much of Cricket 2004.

Beautiful straight drive from Prior. You don't get those unless you're playing well.

eta ha, he skies one and gets away with it next ball.

Yeah he's played beautifully so far this morning.

Edit: ooops

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread