3rd Test: Australia v England at The WACA, Perth, 13-17 Dec

The Ashes 2013-14: You don't have to be Einstein to work out that England need an answer to Mitchell Johnson... and fast - Martin Samuel | Mail Online

----------

anyway, I think a 4 man pace attack is the way to go but not just picking someone because of raw pace. Australia thought that would be a good idea, remember the threats of "chin music" when they unleashed Tait on india? he was promptly spanked to all corners and australia lost their record match winning streak.

That 2008 perth test was during the years when the WACA had lost his trademark pace. Before that S Africa had broken the record world chase in 08 & had managed to draw a test match in 2005, batting out the final day.

Perth has only been back to his true self since around 2010.

Has Bell threatened to kill puppies if he's promoted to three? He's the most logical at three and he's wasted at five considering how quickly England's bottom five have tended to be blown away. With that in mind my XI for England for the third Test:

1 Cook
2 Carberry
3 Bell
4 Pietersen
5 Root
6 Ballance
7 Prior
8 Broad
9 Swann
10 Anderson
11 Finn

To be honest, I don't think England have bowled that badly. Clarke has stood up, and TONS of catches/chances have been missed. That sort of bad fielding is not England's thing and I predict they will regress towards the mean by the sheer power of averages, meaning Australia won't be running up the kind of huge score they did in Adelaide. The batting looks gormless for England though, and I don't know if they've got a solution waiting on the bench. If they don't, Ballance is as good as the next guy.

I think Tymal Mills would be a huge mistake, though. By all accounts the guy has raw pace but cannot locate the stumps even with a telescope. Finn is a much better bet.

2) England have tried all sorts of combinations since Strauss left. England's biggest strength was their fast bowling resources management and stability. I don't understand why Compton was dropped. I don't understand why Root was made to open. I don't understand why he was dropped down the order and I certainly don't get the big deal about Carberry. He's older than Compton and I believe that was the criteria for dropping Compton.

Well Carberry has been unlucky not to get a run in the side much earlier in his career. They've gone to him now because they think he's likely to hang around, and apart from a couple of crap shots that's pretty much how he's looked out in the middle.

Compton looked well organised though, and he's not been given a great deal by the selectors.

3) How many No.6's have England tried in their attempt to replace Collingwood? I believe Morgan, Bairstow, Taylor, Woakes and Stokes and from the look of things, they're now going to try Ballance. I have nothing against any of these guys, but while all looked talented, none was given a proper run other than Morgan you could argue. I like the look of Stokes, and I hope they don't drop him.

I thought Stokes did well with the ball while England were still in the match in the first innings. He was a few yards quicker than the other seamers and he bowled straight, and I felt he was applying pressure. But for the no ball he'd have had the breakthrough.

He looked a decent bat to me as well. Solid technique, footwork was ok. I didn't see much of his second innings but he didn't look in any immediate danger and he hung around for 90 deliveries. He may not have made that much of a contribution in the match on the scorecard but he did more than make up the numbers.

I really like Cook. I think he's ticked all boxes of a truly great test batsman. I just don't think he's a captain. You give him a good side and he will grind the opposition down, but with the way he is as captain, it will take him an eternity to pull a side back up. I feel, Swann should be made captain.

I don't think Cook is a "truly great" batsman, tbh, although he's undoubtedly a great run scorer at his best. He's just there to grind it out for as long as possible with a very limited range of strokes. He's got a scorching pull shot on him, though.

As a captain I think he's tried to be a bit more creative and aggressive this series, and I'm happy to see that, but he's still essentially a grinder, much as Strauss was. I agree that it's not the most entertaining brand of cricket. Not a grinding fan, personally.

Prior stays for me, form or not, after De Villiers he's the best test batman and keeper and that says a lot.

If he was having technical difficulties I might consider dropping him, but he clearly isn't. You can't guarantee he won't keep failing, but I still think he's a better bet than the alternatives.

----------

I think Tymal Mills would be a huge mistake, though. By all accounts the guy has raw pace but cannot locate the stumps even with a telescope. Finn is a much better bet.

Yeah the problem with genuine quickies is that if their radar is off they will haemorrhage runs, and for a side that likes to work by applying tight control that's not a great bet. If he doesn't come off they'll effectively be a bowler down.

I'm in the camp of not getting the Mills love in. He seems to have done ok once or twice in England development teams, but it seems his only feature is pace. Yet, like I've said before, he averaged 60 odd in Division Two of the Championship. For a comparison, Jamie Overton at Somerset bowled quickly, yet looked all over the shop at times, yet still took wickets in Division One at 34 or so. How bad does Mills have to be with that bowling average? He'd get hammered, because say what you want about the Australian batting line up, they're not lacking players who can throw the bat at the short and wide rubbish.

Finn or Rankin should come in and they should be at the front of the queue, because they're in the squad. Finn for me. He may not be firing on all cylinders in the nets or whatever, but he has ability and can find it.

Last edited:
Holy shit his first class average last season was 60?

Finn does bowl some crap but he's also a bit of a golden arm. He's apparently bowled fairly quickly in the tour games.

Mind you, Swann is also a golden arm but it's not happened for him so far.

Here's my radical team for Perth:

Cook
Carberry
Root
KP
Bell
Ballance
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Anderson
Mills

Barmy as an Aussie I would love to see mills get a gig this Friday. I'm sitting at James oval now watching a very ineffective mills bowl on a wicket as hard as the waca and seeing a second XI Western Australia have no trouble with the bounce he is generating. Our local club cricketers look most at ease when he comes on for his short spells.

Last edited:
The EPP almost lost to Queensland 2nd XI after setting them over 400 to win. Mills shouldn't even be thought of. If you want pace what's wrong with Stokes or Rankin?

It will be ridiculously unfair if an EPP player plays a test. Sure, Bresnan can replace the withdrawn Trott, but to bring a 'performance' team along so that you have a squad of 30 is abusing the system

clearly England aren't playing enough twenty20.

----------

then you are mental.

anyway, I think a 4 man pace attack is the way to go but not just picking someone because of raw pace. Australia thought that would be a good idea, remember the threats of "chin music" when they unleashed Tait on india? he was promptly spanked to all corners and australia lost their record match winning streak.

Well, may be I am. As a test bowler, in his full pomp I'll pick Anderson always. I've not seen very many fast bowlers come to India and have Indian batsmen who are masters of their conditions be all at sea against a fast bowler. Steyn is amazing, but Anderson just pips him for my money. His craft with the old ball is just astonishing. The last person who did that, who instantly springs to mind is Wasim Akram. He himself, said that he felt Anderson was the best test bowler. Johnson is quite an enigma. He's lethal, but I assure you, that even at his best, world class batsmen will handle him. If I had to pick a 3 man pace attack all over the world at the moment, it would be Steyn, Anderson and Johnson. However, Jimmy is clearly worn at the moment. I said it on this very forum during the previous Ashes as well, it made no sense for Broad and Anderson to play the last test. Not that one odd instance makes a difference, but when you see the total, the work load will get almost anyone.

Just to compare it to some of our Indian bowlers for Indian fans : There's a saying that our fast bowlers can't bowl 140-150 after their first two years in the sport - Well how can they? We make them play every meaningless T20, ODI, Test possible, not to mention the sinful IPL matches.

----------

Well Carberry has been unlucky not to get a run in the side much earlier in his career. They've gone to him now because they think he's likely to hang around, and apart from a couple of crap shots that's pretty much how he's looked out in the middle.

Compton looked well organised though, and he's not been given a great deal by the selectors.

I thought Stokes did well with the ball while England were still in the match in the first innings. He was a few yards quicker than the other seamers and he bowled straight, and I felt he was applying pressure. But for the no ball he'd have had the breakthrough.

He looked a decent bat to me as well. Solid technique, footwork was ok. I didn't see much of his second innings but he didn't look in any immediate danger and he hung around for 90 deliveries. He may not have made that much of a contribution in the match on the scorecard but he did more than make up the numbers.

I don't think Cook is a "truly great" batsman, tbh, although he's undoubtedly a great run scorer at his best. He's just there to grind it out for as long as possible with a very limited range of strokes. He's got a scorching pull shot on him, though.

As a captain I think he's tried to be a bit more creative and aggressive this series, and I'm happy to see that, but he's still essentially a grinder, much as Strauss was. I agree that it's not the most entertaining brand of cricket. Not a grinding fan, personally.

If he was having technical difficulties I might consider dropping him, but he clearly isn't. You can't guarantee he won't keep failing, but I still think he's a better bet than the alternatives.

----------

Yeah the problem with genuine quickies is that if their radar is off they will haemorrhage runs, and for a side that likes to work by applying tight control that's not a great bet. If he doesn't come off they'll effectively be a bowler down.

Good post.

Ben Stokes excites me. He gives me a very Freddy vibe about him, just that my gut says he's going to be fitter. He's got a long way to go before that.

As for Cook? I think he's pure class. I don't believe much in stats either, but he's just a run machine. Dips in form happen, and he's having a lean year by his standards. I remember Michael Clarke in an absolute rut in the Ashes in Australia prior to this one. People were calling for his throat, and even debated if he could take over from Ponting? I hope, England don't get cute with him. The guy has got runs in all conditions and most impressively as an opener.

His captaincy? That's another matter. He's a poor captain and as much as the English fans will bring up his numbers, the struggle today is also a result of his leadership. Why?

Modern day captains are very different to captains of the old. Because of the media and the internet, captaincy today is a lot more than astute fielding positions, declaration timing and taking responsibility with bat or ball. Michael Clarke is widely regarded as the best captain today. I don't tend to agree. He's the best tactician in our game today, no question. But, he's pathetic at man management. Just like his old coach. It's why they bought Lehmann in. Cook is excellent at that and in my eyes, he's the best in the world at it along with MSD. I think, Smith is by far the most balanced and best captain in tests in the world. Cook and Dhoni, simply allow the game to drift way too often. England could really do with Swann as captain. KP I believe is also a very good thinker of the game, but his ego and captaincy would probably ruin England.

I still feel nervous about perth.

If England go in with 4 tall quicks, it could put our fragile batsmen under a fair bit of pressure.

That being said, Johnson is going to kill the English on that deck.

Could be heading for a very low scoring encounter.

I remember saying to a mate, "Mitch is a confidence player, if he gets 50 here we win the ashes", on the first day of the first test. I may have actually been right for once

Here's my radical team for Perth:

Cook
Carberry
Root
KP
Bell
Ballance
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Anderson
Mills

No no no no no, what is it with England and English fans being so afraid of pace, not just facing it but selecting it too. Finn must be in this team, I've said it for years now and only quieted while Anderson, Broad and a few other medium pacers seemed to be doing well but the time is here.

Yes Finn is not as economical and some of the other names around but he can crank it up to 90 and when he is in rhythm, 90+ is not unheard of. Bresnan is an average bowler and a terrible bat, how he can ever be considered is beyond me. Is Mills even in the squad? Are England planning in calling him over? This just won't do.

We need Finn and I think Swann has shown he can come through adversity, keep him but not Monty.

The team I'd have:

Cook
Carberry
Root
KP
Bell
Stokes
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn

Give Stokes another go, he has more fire than Bresnan and may yet prove himself with the bat.

Above all else, Cook has to talk to his team and tell them to give as good as they get. Anderson has to stop being the shy school girl and Broad must bring that fire he used to have. Have Prior constantly get into the Aussie batsmen...bloody hell, fight like you would when someone in school cussed your mum...JUST DO SOMETHING.

Picking Bresnan is taking a step back. Finn can be hard and tough, give him that confidence instead of breaking it, something the ECB love doing with out there cricketers.

Users who are viewing this thread