40 Overs, the future for ODI's?

40 over ODI's

• Total voters

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
More and more you hear about how 50 over cricket is boring, on its last legs and getting whooped by Twenty20.

Here in England we have a nice little tournament in the second half of the year called Pro40. It gets a lot of stick because it doesn't follow the layout of international cricket, but could 40 overs be the saviour of ODI's?

TV companies like it - It doesn't take up an entire day. The paying public like it - The games attract a much higher audience than the 50 over Friends Provident Trophy. It's a fair bit shorter, so it should hold the attention of the playstation generation.

40 overs is long enough that you get some proper cricket, but short enough that it generally doesn't have a dull period (I don't think 50 overs has a dull period but apparently a lot of people do).

Could we see 40 over ODI's in the future? Would you like to see it?

Well I am not sure about this one but people would rather watch 20/20
because when ever I watch 40 overs odi it does not feel like 20/20.

I love 50 over ODi's, so i'd prefer it stayed like that. I don't get the need to constantly change the game, it's been really occuring since the IPL started, Twenty20 is a cricket sideshow and should not change the good side of the game. Twenty20 is entertaining enough, but ODi and Test Cricket is far more exciting and interesting, and should be kept as it is.

Why the option to vote, "An Orange"? :p

Personally I really fail to see the difference between 40 over and 50 over, they both are good to watch :)

People need a silly option or an "I don't know" option. I don't know why but they do. ;) Makes them feel individual I guess.

Of course my preference would be to stick with 50 overs, but if you look back to the world cup for example, people were moaning about the one sided games and such. Put it this way, I would certainly prefer 40 over ODI's to T20 taking over.

See im a traditionalist and I love the test format and not such a great fan of 20/20 however I think 1 day cricket needs to be sorted. I dont bother to watch it at the moment because its just too predictable for my liking. They need to make an element to the game where it isnt them just they slogging for periods after getting themselves in a whole by playing defensively for the middle overs. I think its more the approach to 50 over cricket that needs to be adapted. Instead of going all out at the end id like to see teams play positively the whole innings, by positively i dont mean slogging, id just like to see playings playing shots and collecting fours not just knocking off 1s and 2s.

lol. I feel the same way about it as Tom, I can't see the difference. Both are enjoyable.

People need a silly option or an "I don't know" option. I don't know why but they do. ;) Makes them feel individual I guess.

Of course my preference would be to stick with 50 overs, but if you look back to the world cup for example, people were moaning about the one sided games and such. Put it this way, I would certainly prefer 40 over ODI's to T20 taking over.

A compromise is better than a total loss of the ODI. To me ODIs are still a game of cricket, whereas T20 is a game of entertainment. I am like Kev, I think 50 over games are very good. But then again maybe county teams are fairer matched than international sides are.

Stop changing the game please.

ya 20-20 is going to ruin cricket cuz its all slogging and entertaiment mostly where odi is much better requires more skill and batsman dont slog i hate seeing batsman slogging

I prefer ODI cricket to be split up into two innings of 25 overs each (or two innings of 20 overs each with a total of 40 overs). A mini test match in a single day. I got to wait and see if I will be able to watch ODI's with the same amount of interest that I used to watch them before. 3 hrs of cricket is best for me coz I can do my other works in the remaining time.

I think split up ODIs will just end up being back-to-back T20s (T25s if you want to be pedantic). I think the 50 over format is fine as it is.

International Cricket is fine the way it is. Test cricket and ODI cricket dominating the scene and T20 cricket as a nice little addition that doesn't take up much space. Enough with the changes. It'll begin to get tedious.

Users who are viewing this thread