9600GT 512mb or 9600GT 1gb

santyvijay

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi,

I have decided to buy a graphics card for my PC and I have narrowed my choice to the two aforesaid cards 9600gt 512MB and 9600GT 1gb.

My motherboard is DG31PR and it has DDR2 RAM installed.

The shopkeeper told me that 9600 GT both versions are DDR3 memory.

My doubt is whether my board will support these DDR3 graphics cards or do I need to get a DDR2 graphics card only.

Please reply at the earliest for me to make my decision.

Regards,
Vijay.S

your board will support any of the above said cards. If you wish to use them solely for Ac09 , 9600Gt 512mb, will more than suffice , thought its always advisable to go for a 1Gb card if the price difference is minimal.

BTW why aint you going for a decent Dx11 card like GT240 or anything from Ati 5xxx series which fits in your budget ?

I bought 1GB GFX as it was only Rs 200 more than 512GB Graphic Card. It's depends on you, as Kabooka said if difference is less then go for 1GB. If not, then buy 512MB GFX.

Thank you so much guys for the prompt response.

The difference between the 2 cards is only INR 300.

So I guess for long term I can buy the 1gb version itself.

Thanks again both of you for your valuable suggestions.

Im going to feed my PC with a 9600GT 1GB cad today.

Will play the game tomorrow and let you know the performance,

Regards,
Vijay.S

santyvijay added 1 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

your board will support any of the above said cards. If you wish to use them solely for Ac09 , 9600Gt 512mb, will more than suffice , thought its always advisable to go for a 1Gb card if the price difference is minimal.

BTW why aint you going for a decent Dx11 card like GT240 or anything from Ati 5xxx series which fits in your budget ?

Hi Kabooka,

I actually have very little knowledge about graphics cards and my budget was around 5000 INR.Anyways i will ask the shopkeeper abt GT240 and if it fits my bill,then I will buy that.

Thanks again for your assistance.

It would have been better if you had provided your budget. Then we could have sorted a best for you. Anyway DONT DONT DONT get 1gb 9600gt. Because the more RAM in a card is required for higher resolutions in the games. I guee you got a 19 inch or 22 inch monitor. Then it would have a maximum resolution of 1600 something. A graphic card of 512 mb is more than enuff for that resolution. Moreover if you plan to play on higher resolution then 1600 on this card then you wont see the effect of extra RAM as the would itself stutter due to mediocre graphics chip. So a 1gb low cost cards like 9600 are nothing but marketing technique. What the heck, buying a card which cannot use its 1gb ram to fullest ?:eek: 512mb ram to 1 gb ram does make a bit difference when it comes to cards like 4850 or 4870. Not in the case of 9600. 300 bucks aint that much but i am telling you this for the future when you decide to buy a next gen card where RAM does make a difference. By the way, 4850 512mb card is a damn good card and you can get it for 6800INR...

It would have been better if you had provided your budget. Then we could have sorted a best for you. Anyway DONT DONT DONT get 1gb 9600gt. Because the more RAM in a card is required for higher resolutions in the games. I guee you got a 19 inch or 22 inch monitor. Then it would have a maximum resolution of 1600 something. A graphic card of 512 mb is more than enuff for that resolution. Moreover if you plan to play on higher resolution then 1600 on this card then you wont see the effect of extra RAM as the would itself stutter due to mediocre graphics chip. So a 1gb low cost cards like 9600 are nothing but marketing technique. What the heck, buying a card which cannot use its 1gb ram to fullest ?:eek: 512mb ram to 1 gb ram does make a bit difference when it comes to cards like 4850 or 4870. Not in the case of 9600. 300 bucks aint that much but i am telling you this for the future when you decide to buy a next gen card where RAM does make a difference. By the way, 4850 512mb card is a damn good card and you can get it for 6800INR...

I'd agree with AP over here. Look for a newer card.

BTW make sure that your Power Supply (SMPS) is good enough for handling the GFX card, you don't want to fry your GFX Card, Motherboard or Processor for this.

And i agree with Kabooks above:p....But it happened reverse in my case. I remember frying 3 local SMPS in a Week before i understood that my Card was flipping them..... Got a 600W POV Black Diamond,,,, me and my pc lived happy ever after...:p

nyway DONT DONT DONT get 1gb 9600gt. Because the more RAM in a card is required for higher resolutions in the games. I guee you got a 19 inch or 22 inch monitor. Then it would have a maximum resolution of 1600 something. A graphic card of 512 mb is more than enuff for that resolution. Moreover if you plan to play on higher resolution then 1600 on this card then you wont see the effect of extra RAM as the would itself stutter due to mediocre graphics chip. So a 1gb low cost cards like 9600 are nothing but marketing technique. What the heck, buying a card which cannot use its 1gb ram to fullest ?
,9600Gt 1Gb is Damn Good Card in a Small budget,as you said 512Mb is enough For 1600*900,or 1600*1024 ,No It is Not,You will see Some Difference In Frame Rate In Latest game Atleast 6-7(in case Of Gta IV in a lower Resolution),I know It does Not Utilize the Whole 1Gb memory,But still I does More than enough,If you consider the Same Card(512 Mb edition with same TYPE of Memory),i have Experience In this :D;)
Btw The Most Impotent thing that already mentioned Get a Good PSU(not I ball/local )

Hi All,
Yesterday I had posted this question and after getting reply from Kabooka i went and bought the XFX Nvidia 9600GT 1gb as the price difference was only 300 rupees.Only today I saw the rest of the comments by all of you.

Anyways I have an Intex PSU 450Watt.Will I be able to run this graphics card with this PSU.If not then which one to buy and how much will it cost in indian rupees.

Also I have only 17inch CRT fat monitor and the game has been running in cinemascope like window between two black bars.

Anyways im going to install this myself today.Is it enough if I put the card in the PCI slot or will I have to connect any wire in motherboard?

Also there are two sockets in the card one VGA and 1 HDMI.My monitor has a VGA socket only and will there be any difference in card performance between VGA socket and HDMI socket?

Please advise.If need be I can get a adaptor for connecting the VGA from thee monitor to the HDMI on the card.

Please reply.Thanks in advance!!

Vijay.

Hi All,
Yesterday I had posted this question and after getting reply from Kabooka i went and bought the XFX Nvidia 9600GT 1gb as the price difference was only 300 rupees.Only today I saw the rest of the comments by all of you.

Anyways I have an Intex PSU 450Watt.Will I be able to run this graphics card with this PSU.If not then which one to buy and how much will it cost in indian rupees.

Also I have only 17inch CRT fat monitor and the game has been running in cinemascope like window between two black bars.

Anyways im going to install this myself today.Is it enough if I put the card in the PCI slot or will I have to connect any wire in motherboard?

Also there are two sockets in the card one VGA and 1 HDMI.My monitor has a VGA socket only and will there be any difference in card performance between VGA socket and HDMI socket?

Please advise.If need be I can get a adaptor for connecting the VGA from thee monitor to the HDMI on the card.

Please reply.Thanks in advance!!

Vijay.

As long as that Intex PSU is 450W it should push the GFX card just fine. I myself am using a Cooler Master 500W PSU. Getting a new one should push you back by INR. 2500-/ or so.

The Black bars are there because you have a 5:4 or 4:3 LCD monitor & not a 16:9 monitor. I myself am using a 5:4 Sony 17' LCD monitor & I too get these black bars.

There will be no performance difference between the HDMI & VGA sockets. The both transmit the same signal/resolution/refresh rate etc for your 17' monitor. The only difference being that the HDMI port is Digital & can be used to extend video onto an auxiliary LCD TV & the VGA port is Analogue.

Just plug the card into the PCI slot & play. Yes, a VGA to HDMI converter is available in the markets. Though i doubt that using it will make any significant improvement to your image quality.

As long as that Intex PSU is 450W it should push the GFX card just fine. I myself am using a Cooler Master 500W PSU. Getting a new one should push you back by INR. 2500-/ or so.

The Black bars are there because you have a 5:4 or 4:3 LCD monitor & not a 16:9 monitor. I myself am using a 5:4 Sony 17' LCD monitor & I too get these black bars.

There will be no performance difference between the HDMI & VGA sockets. The both transmit the same signal/resolution/refresh rate etc for your 17' monitor. The only difference being that the HDMI port is Digital & can be used to extend video onto an auxiliary LCD TV & the VGA port is Analogue.

Just plug the card into the PCI slot & play. Yes, a VGA to HDMI converter is available in the markets. Though i doubt that using it will make any significant improvement to your image quality.

Thanks Kabooka for answering so many questions with so much precision.

I have just installed the card as you told and it is working superbly.There is no lag even at setting the highest resolution and also keeping graphics,crowd and special effects as high.

I just downloaded rivatuner and everest ultimate edition to check the specs of my card and I have a small doubt in that.

The specs for this card are Core 650,Shader 1625 and memory 900.

But in both these programs it shows memory as 700 as against 900 which it should be.Is this a problem?

Please let me know im becoming very uneasy.

Vijay..

Hang on man ..... its a new graphics card & you dont want to overclock it or anything , at least not with this PSU.

Maybe the GFX card is underclocking itself in the idle state & when you run a game it goes upto its full potential. Refer to the GFX card manual , if its normal or not.

Download an application called GPU-X . It will give you accurate details about your card.

Happy Gaming

Hi Kabooka,

I have attached a scrrenshot of GPU-Z of my 9600GT.Please check here that the original clock speed is 600 memory is 700 and shader is 1500 as against the 9600GT normal specs of 650,900 and 1625.

Please tell me why the card is showing so less speeds.

has the seller cheated me or because of the PCI-E 1.0 slot it is performing slower or because of the PSU.
Im frustrated now,Please reply.

Vijay.

Attachments

• 9600GT GPU-Z Specs.JPG
    9600GT GPU-Z Specs.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 12
Some cards automatically lower the clock speeds when it is not being used in a 3d application. Your card may have such a feature.
The clock speeds wont decrease due to a poor PSU but you should get a new one. I'd get a 500-600W PSU because many manufacturers falsely mark their PSUs.

First things first, the memory you see here is, I think half data rate. So actually your overall speed is 700*2 = 1400Mhz.

The speeds are lower than standard 9600GT. I can understand the memory clock is low because you've purchased the 1GB card and many OEM's either use slower (In some cases DDR2, but thankfully yours is DDR3) RAM to bring the price gap lower, like in your case. I don't know about the other clocks. Check XFX's site with your card's exact model number, the clocks might have specifically been made lower for whatever reason.

I'm attaching my screenshot, for your reference.

Attachments

• GPUZScreen.png
    GPUZScreen.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread