Story A rookie's long road to fame **Match day vs WA, Disappointing end to the innings**

Lunch was drawing near and it was our aim to reach it without the loss of another wicket. Both of us were looking quite good and we were in great nick. I was relatively happy with how i was going at the present stage. I enjoyed the longer form to the shorter form as it gave me time to set my innings where as the shorter form you have to be looking to score all the time. I was feeling good, I was defending well and attacking well. All our hard work started to become undone when Pup started to change his attitude. He was looking to hit everything, after playing and missing for about the last 10 minutes. he became very frustrated and it finally brought about his downfall. He played and missed one too many and was bowled. Cleanly too.

Cricket072008-12-2419-56-14-01.jpg

Following Pups wicket we were coming very close to lunch. Jimmy Hopes was in now and we were just focusing on getting to lunch. We held out for the remaining 2 and a half overs for just 1 run to be 3/88

Cricket072008-12-2420-01-57-30.jpg

Maybe you should add your score, the other batsmen's score and the current bowlers figures at the end of each post. It would just give a nice re-cap of the game so far.

An even first session for the Blues. The Warriors will feel that they have the upper hand after taking three wickets.

Yeah a few stats would be quite nice, the punters like stats, I found ;)

Hopefully you can make a nice big score here :)

im looking to update this tomorrow or the next day

Blues Fight on

We'd escape losing too many by lunch and it was now up to me and Jimmy to steer the ship once more. It was a tough period to negotiate right after lunch but, I managed to shake it off. Howerver, at the other end, Jimmy was struggling since lunch he had scored 1 off about 20 balls since then. I was getting close to 50 and i didnt want to lose my cool but i couldnt help but worry about Jimmy's current situation. Sure enough the Bowlers finally got the upper hand on him and soon they had his wicket and we were another one down. Jimmy had spooned one to square leg from an ordinary and lazy leg glance. One of the easiest wicket give aways I have ever seen. He was just starting to settle in as well.

Cricket072008-12-2500-23-34-13.jpg

I needed not worry for our next man was Dave a very talented and handy middle order batsman. Ok maybe he was batting a little lower than he was used to at Victoria, but capable none-the-less. Surely we could have a big partnership and both go onto big scores.....

I was wrong we had only just started to tick the scoreboard over when Dave flicked one towards square leg. Who took a very simple catch about knee height. Dave was disappointed. I could tell by the look on his face as he passed me. That big partnership i was on about went for 5 runs.

Cricket072008-12-2500-29-01-85.jpg

I was now running out of partners, I needed someone to stay with me. But i suppose this is good batting practice right.
"Shut up" I thought to myself. "You can still do well just hang in there and keep your head down"
Thats right as long as I keep my head down I should be able to keep the runs flowing. I found this to be helpful when Brad entered the pitch. He was a very capable batsmen. I felt sorry for him as he couldn't freely hit out like he normally would as it would expose the tail and we'd have no batting left.

It was good batting with Brad as he kept reminding me about the job at hand and not once mentioning the half century. Milestones make me nervous and i get out if I think about them too much. Sure enough i got to 50 and Brad came running up to congratulate me. I felt i had achieved something and it had put my demons at rest for now.

Cricket072008-12-2500-33-02-13.jpg

With a 50 now under my belt, I could focus on our job of posting a decent total. I was having an attack/defend phase where I'd attack for 2 or 3 balls then I would be looking to play the ball out. It wasn't working and i needed to change my strategy. Brad even came down the pitch to me and just said to play every ball as it comes. I attempted to adopt this strategy and it was working for a while until i lost all concentration all together. I left a delivery in which i thought was going down leg but seamed and swung back into my pads and I was plumb LBW. I was disappointed and I could do nothing but watch as the Umpire raised his finger to give me out. Brad come up to me and told me that it was close but i wasn't out. But as i watch the reply on the screen i knew I was out not a doubt in the world. I was given a good reception by the crowd as they clapped me off. Quite surprising too as most of them were WA supporters.

Cricket072008-12-2500-52-04-61.jpg

The Tea break was closing in fast and we couldn't afford to lose anymore wickets. Luckily we didn't as Brad and Brett saw us to tea at six down Brad was looking solid and Brett did his job

Cricket072008-12-2500-53-46-08.jpg

Brad helped you to get your half century and then on from there you commanded your own game and used your stratergy well. A good score for you and the score at dinner is better considering that some players weren't playing as well as you would of hoped. You just need Brett Lee and Brad Haddin to fire for a while and get a score of around 225.

The writing is very good and it was a joy to read. Nice to see you assuming that it'll be a big partnership... then turning out to be a flop. :p Keep up the good presentation and work.

Good innings there of 79, unlucky to get out how you did, really weird leave ;)

KUTGW!

A gutsy innings of 79 there, a real fighting knock. Strange leave to get dissmissed though. The Blues can still get a decent total of around 220-250 if the tail wags and frustrates the WA boys. Oh and on the crowd, there would never be that many there for any format of domestic cricket :(

Congrats on your maiden 50 :)

im looking to update this tomorrow night. hopefully work doesnt ask me to stay back

Nice score for you there. You should be proud of the 79 considering your a rookie who has only just broken into the team! :) Anyway Brett Lee can be pretty useful at times in the lower order so you can expect a decent partnership between him and Haddin.

Excellent presentation dude and keep it up :) :clap

apoligies for lack of updates. i will try and update sometime later today

Good to see you making a 50, especially in FC. Those Aussie selectors must be perking up ;)

Maybe update the first post with milestones in your career, like I have done in my story, to help people keep track of how you do. Just a wee suggestion :)

Users who are viewing this thread