AI Batting is too fragile

Dougie1

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
i think post patch 2 that the batting/bowling balance against "AI" is quite good on pro level - it's true that the AI do not bat to the situation - would be really nice if it did - but then again it isn't "really" AI - it's just a 40 quid cricket sim

Last edited:

ellgieff

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't think BigAnt can win here. If they make bowling anymore difficult then people will say that bowling is too hard. I find bowling quite difficult in career mode and find myself bowling overs and overs without getting 5-6 wickets. I would be lucky to get 1 wicket per innings and I am not bowling badly at all as the same type of bowling in Competition Mode gets me 5-6 wickets in T20I's and about 8 wickets in ODI on PRO difficulty. I think the number of wickets is okay for me just the number of runs they get is the problem.

I think the problem is that the AI do not bat to the situation. They don't seem to realize at times that there's only a few overs left and that they have more than 5+ wickets in hand so they should be going after it. I have had the AI cart me around the park with 100 from 10 overs but they somehow slow down and score 3/140 in the 20 overs. Sometimes they are chasing 150 runs and they end up with 3/129 after 20 overs. They don't seem to appreciate sometimes I bring a part timer or a "pie thrower" and only score 3-4 runs off the over - you could bring on a batsman with no bowling skills and bowl a tight over. In ODI's they don't appreciate that if they have lost a few quick wickets that they can form a partnership as there is plenty of overs left and wait for the final 10 overs to have an almighty slog to get to a respectable total.

I don't find bowling to be that difficult, provided I can get a wicket early. Then I have confidence, and new chums to bowl to - I'm still getting 5 wicket bags regularly (and just got 5 for 48 in a Test playing for NZ against South Africa and 4 for 15 from 10 in my ODI debut. It makes me a little sad, because I wanted to be a batting all-rounder, but I just can't seem to crack the batting nut after patch 2)

Sometimes it feels like I've actually earned a wicket (notice a guy slogging across the line a bit, so give him a flighted one which he lifts down midoffs throat), but more often it just feels like "they missed, I hit" and there's no real reason for them to have missed.

D

Deleted member 9102

In Career mode on Veteran with my pace bowler in T20s, simply bowling 6 yorkers at off stump gets me loads of wickets... Usually it only goes for 4-10 runs in the 4 overs, sometimes with a couple of maidens.

The AI could do with a lot of work.

Moosc

Club Captain
Having said that the batting Ai is weak and that simulation is the only way to go. Consider this!

I simulate at all times as I no longer bowl and to be frank have the opposite problem

I play in the Australian domestic season and were playing the SA Red backs in a four day game. The Red backs scored 550 and 335. We scored 448 and 320 for a total of 1653 and the game finished at least with a session to spare on the fourth Day. How is this possible? I sure would like to watch that sort of game, it would have more action than at a circus.

Consider that the game scores at more than a run a minute or 120 runs per session = 360 per day (less breaks. Drinks etc) x 4 days = 1440 runs for the game.
I would consider it implausible that a game could sustain such a level of play for four continous days.

Neil W

Gabe

Club Cricketer
Simulating innings sees a lot of high scores. In the Pro40 cup scores above 250 in 40 overs are pretty much the norm. Somebody said that using the 'Get Best' teams is part of the problem, because the skills for players are too high and even though that should even itself out (people would generally - you think - be overrating both batsmen and bowlers equally) I guess when simulating it gives the batsmen the edge, leading to higher scores (and a lot of big scores down the order, too).

D

Deleted member 9102

I wasn't involved in making the teams that ended up becoming the 'Get Best' choices and wasn't too active around here at the time, but I don't think any guidance was given as to what sort of impact the attributes would have, and what sort of combinations of attributes would result in the most accurate AI behaviour and simulated scorelines...

People have done quite a good job in terms of the player likenesses, but I think the skills assigned to them could be much better.

grkrama

National Board President
ya if someone can make a guide for it or bigant can provide one it would really help in getting proper balanced teams, right now its too difficult to figure out what does what without extensive testing for each attribute.

Users who are viewing this thread