Andrew Strauss

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Just wondering how everyone rates Andrew Strauss? He started off his career ridiculously well, had a quite sustained spell of poor form in the middle section of his career, but has since regained his best form and is scoring big runs again. He's only really had 3 poor 'seasons' if we're going by Cricinfo's stats, averaging 40, 72 and 49 in his last 3 seasons. He also has 18 Test centuries at an exceptional conversion rate for an opening batsman, with 18 of his 33 Test half centuries being converted into 3 figures.

As England captain he averages 57.64, with 6 hundreds and 2 fifties, with an even better performance since he got the proper captaincy, averaging 58.87 in 11 Tests. He's also not a home conditions bully like most of the England side, performing well in all but 2 countries (Australia and Pakistan). Since he scored that hundred in New Zealand batting at 3, he's performed brilliantly, averaging 54.66 in the 20 Tests he's played, with 7 hundreds and 4 fifties.

If you look at those figures, and his overall career figures, averaging 44.66 in 66 Tests with over 5000 runs to his name, then you'd have to consider him one of the better opening batsmen of the modern era, yet he's really one of the forgotten men in the England side and in World Cricket. All the focus is on Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff in the England side, but the batting revolves around Andrew Strauss at the moment. Pietersen has not been producing in the last few months, and Strauss has stepped up brilliantly. Just curious as to how everyone else rates him?

jazz

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think that last Innings against New Zealand really saved him last year otherwise he would of been axed, but in the last year his been looking very good. Also scoring hundreds in South African pitches is no easy feat!

I rate him a good dangerous player once his in and settled. I still think he needs to learn alot about the captaincy!

P

pcfan123

He is definitely the most dependable batsman in our lineup right now. Captaincy has definitely made him a better batsman, he seems to thrive off the responsibility. As far as his captaincy, I do not rate him too highly. He is very quick to go on the defensive and is almost afraid to attack.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Andrew strauss-Mr.Dependable he made his first century in his first match that inning's is perhap's one of the best.His confidence in inning's look clearley he will go long ahead and will be captain of england for a long time.:)

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I rate him. Not as one of the greats of our generation, definitely below Tresco and Vaughan. Average captain, above average batsman who doesn't succumb to pressure easily. Which is a unique feat for an English player. Could make it opening the batting for most sides around the world, but would never appear to be a threat to any side. Hasn't played that many destructive, match winning innings. Or atleast I haven't seen them.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
His conversion rate is amazing, I think only KP was the other modern day batsmen on the list for top conversion rate. When Strauss gets in he is hard to stop, that of course is also his down fall. His average suggest he doesn't make many 50s and hes no Bradman so he gets a lot of scores below 50. That is something that is keeping him from becoming a feared batter.

If he had a Vaughan like Ashes performance then he definitely would have got respect but as it is, he has struggled to convert his starts into 100s apart from Lords. So hes never really been in my books as a player I fear like the Tendulkar, Lara, KP etc.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
He can thank Paul Hitchcock for his career revival.

D

Dutch

He is our best batsman by far at the moment and without him we would probably be looking at a bigger mess than we are already. I am not a cricket captain so it is hard to judge, but he doesn't seem to really know what to do when things go really wrong or his teammates aren't firing properly. He can make brilliant (in hindsight) decisions and the next moment he is doing something totally off the planet. He seems to have a plan A which he very quickly disposes of and then doesn't seem to have any consistent back-up ideas. I think he can grow into it, and this series will be a good blooding for him, but at what price? He does seem to command the respect of his teammates. One moment that really infuriated me was when England were 75 for 5 in the first session and we saw him just joking and laughing on the balcony. I know he can't actually do much sitting up there to influence things but it doesn't send out strong signals to act like that. He should be showing an utter commitment to the job in-hand and a focus that says "Yep, we are in a bit of a pickle here but I am focussing on what to do next."

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Geez, KP. You just love your stats don't you.

I don't really rate him. Struggles every time you give him a good in swinger. But when the ugly prick passes 30 odd, you know its going to be a hundred - so, ok, I'll give him a little bit of a rating.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
I rate him. It's a shame that his efforts go somewhat unnoticed as captain or batsmen at times. He had a lot on his mind in the last Test due the injuries, but he's performed in all the other Tests.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Incredible match winner. They talk about Flintoff, but Strauss is a massive talisman. He's not the most talented player, but character is what wins you matches.

Users who are viewing this thread