AMA Ask the Qpee

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
-How are you getting by without the Doubles and KFC?

-How does it feel to be in a minority of West Indian posters on this forum, have you come across anyone else from your island on PLanet Cricket?

-What did you stock up on, other than toilet paper and wet wipes during the pandemic?

-Outside of cricket what other interests you?

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
-How are you getting by without the Doubles and KFC?

- Don't really miss it to be honest. I rarely ate doubles before the lockdown, still rarely eat it. I used to eat it a lot more back in the day, but over the years I just sort of subconsciously started eating it less. KFC...don't get me wrong, we Trinis love our KFC and I'm not different, but even then it wasn't all that often that I'd have it. So I'm not particularly missing it that much.

-How does it feel to be in a minority of West Indian posters on this forum, have you come across anyone else from your island on PLanet Cricket?

- If I came across another Trini on here, I probably was unaware of it. But it's no big deal either way. If I wanted to talk cricket with other Trinis or West Indians I'd just go to a bar whenever there's a match...well, before the restrictions, that is. I'm sure to find either several small discussions or one big one taking place. Easiest way to make new friends, too.

-What did you stock up on, other than toilet paper and wet wipes during the pandemic?

- Didn't even stock up on that. We bought our household groceries as usual. Sanitiser maybe.

-Outside of cricket what other interests you?

- I read a lot. Genre changes from time to time. Mysteries and police procedurals are always a hit with me. Anything that's funny, although I prefer reading the dry humour of British-style writing rather than the in-your-face-over-the-top American style. Some horror depending on my mood. Maybe sci-fi but not always. Right now I'm going through the books in the Dresden Files...in order this time. I've read the first 10 in the series, but way out of order. So I'm actually doing it in order this time before going onto the ones I haven't read. Might re-read Jasper Fforde afterwards. I don't like to leave books unfinished so I'll do my best to either finish a book in one sitting or at most over a couple of days.
I do a lot of crosswords. I'm pretty good at American-type newspaper crosswords. The British cryptic ones are way tougher and I won't even claim to say I'm good at them. I usually struggle, but I can generally figure out a handful of answers. Never once completed a cryptic, whereas I can usually complete a regular one.
I've got a PS3 but use it sporadically. My laptop is where I do most of my gaming...anything with a good story really. Management sims are good too, I generally almost always have Football Manager running and of course there's Cricket Captain from time to time. The last really great game I played was Pillars of Eternity...might have been around Christmas time or so.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
- Don't really miss it to be honest. I rarely ate doubles before the lockdown, still rarely eat it. I used to eat it a lot more back in the day, but over the years I just sort of subconsciously started eating it less. KFC...don't get me wrong, we Trinis love our KFC and I'm not different, but even then it wasn't all that often that I'd have it. So I'm not particularly missing it that much.

- If I came across another Trini on here, I probably was unaware of it. But it's no big deal either way. If I wanted to talk cricket with other Trinis or West Indians I'd just go to a bar whenever there's a match...well, before the restrictions, that is. I'm sure to find either several small discussions or one big one taking place. Easiest way to make new friends, too.

- Didn't even stock up on that. We bought our household groceries as usual. Sanitiser maybe.

- I read a lot. Genre changes from time to time. Mysteries and police procedurals are always a hit with me. Anything that's funny, although I prefer reading the dry humour of British-style writing rather than the in-your-face-over-the-top American style. Some horror depending on my mood. Maybe sci-fi but not always. Right now I'm going through the books in the Dresden Files...in order this time. I've read the first 10 in the series, but way out of order. So I'm actually doing it in order this time before going onto the ones I haven't read. Might re-read Jasper Fforde afterwards. I don't like to leave books unfinished so I'll do my best to either finish a book in one sitting or at most over a couple of days.
I do a lot of crosswords. I'm pretty good at American-type newspaper crosswords. The British cryptic ones are way tougher and I won't even claim to say I'm good at them. I usually struggle, but I can generally figure out a handful of answers. Never once completed a cryptic, whereas I can usually complete a regular one.
I've got a PS3 but use it sporadically. My laptop is where I do most of my gaming...anything with a good story really. Management sims are good too, I generally almost always have Football Manager running and of course there's Cricket Captain from time to time. The last really great game I played was Pillars of Eternity...might have been around Christmas time or so.
Bars you say, guessing you consume alcohol? If so white or dark rum? I

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Not anymore. Used to. I was a dark rum drinker for a lot of my younger days but as I got older I moved to white rum. Now I don't drink alcohol at all.
Very good news. One of the best decisions I made in my life was to stop alcohol intake, not from a health standpoint cuz I always remained pretty fit but coupled with some other demons it messed me up for years.

Loubs

User Title Purchaser
ENG....
PlanetCricket Award Winner
X Rebels
Profile Flag
England
What was the last book you read?

Loubs

User Title Purchaser
ENG....
X Rebels
Profile Flag
England
Nobody's Perfect by Donald Westlake. Wanted a bit of light reading in between my Dresden Files read-through.
A funny and very quirky book, good choice although the contents would be deemed inappropriate for an inner city school.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Yes, well it was written in a different time, so a lot of Westlake's books do contain things that definitely won't sit well today. But I always enjoy reading his stuff, it's genuinely funny. (EDIT: One of the reasons to read a Dortmunder book is for the conversations that the "regulars" at the bar have.)

Loubs

User Title Purchaser
ENG....
X Rebels
Profile Flag
England
How do you feel about the plastic in the sea situation and what do you think we can do about it as a society?

Should diesel cars be banned altogether?

Do you think welcoming new members is a good idea as some forums can seem a little partizan making it hard for them to integrate?

Do you ask questions on other members AMA threads and particularly those of new members so making them feel welcome and not pushed out?

Apologies if not British, do you feel the UCAS points tariff is fair or do you feel it is biased towards high league schools?
Post automatically merged:

Yes, well it was written in a different time, so a lot of Westlake's books do contain things that definitely won't sit well today. But I always enjoy reading his stuff, it's genuinely funny. (EDIT: One of the reasons to read a Dortmunder book is for the conversations that the "regulars" at the bar have.)
I think years ago this was on the KS3 reading list.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
How do you feel about the plastic in the sea situation and what do you think we can do about it as a society?

It's not a good thing, that's for sure. I don't think that we realised that the situation would have ever gotten this bad. Marine life is definitely being affected, not to mention the fact that it stops up waterways and provides a danger to small vessels. I know there's a lot of research going into those special types of bacteria that can actually digest plastic into its component hydrocarbons and then carbon dioxide and water molecules, but I'm not quite sure that it's a good idea to introduce that sort of thing into an ecosystem on a large scale as yet. We don't know the long-term effects of something like that as yet. The research looks promising though.

I don't have any answers as a society, but we as individuals can do our own part, as small as it might be. Try to use recyclable, reusable, or biodegradable substances. Don't pollute. You might be one individual, but the world contains billions of individuals. Everyone doing their own part can and will add up.

Should diesel cars be banned altogether?

I don't know about that. Diesel engines of today are generally more efficient than in the past, and more efficient than petrol engines, I believe (I could be wrong) and it's incredibly hard to absolutely kill a diesel engine beyond repair. The issue with diesel engines though, is that they are made to run and run. They aren't made for short-term sorts of uses. They don't like being switched off and on regularly.

That's because, as far as my memory of high school chemistry recalls, diesel fuel is much heavier than petrol, so that means it's less volatile and requires more oxygen to combust. Which would mean, in theory (if my thinking is correct), that there will be more byproducts being formed. This will include greenhouse gases. Yet I think the efficiency will offset that. Doesn't work for short-term usage, because at the start you'll always get incomplete combustion before things start going along smoothly.

In short, I don't think it should be banned altogether, but its use should be restricted to long-haul vehicles. Of course, everything I said above could be based on shoddy memory and wrong assumptions, so take that with a pinch of salt, because I can't guarantee the accuracy of my statements.

Do you think welcoming new members is a good idea as some forums can seem a little partizan making it hard for them to integrate?

Do you ask questions on other members AMA threads and particularly those of new members so making them feel welcome and not pushed out?

Yes, welcoming new members is always a good idea. It's something that I haven't done and I really should help out the newer members. I've been a member for going 12 years now, so it really should be up to members like me to step up and encourage people to feel welcome. I don't post on any of the other AMAs...I really should. It's not fair to expect people to ask me questions when I don't ask them in return. It's something for me to look at and try to be active in more than just the Cricket Discussion forums.

Good set of questions, @LEGT

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Apologies if not British, do you feel the UCAS points tariff is fair or do you feel it is biased towards high league schools?

Sorry, I missed this one. I'm not British, no, but I skimmed through an article about it. We have something similar in our universities where your grades mean a certain number of points. I have 3 A's at A-level plus a B at General Paper (and a couple other grades that are specific to the Caribbean but no extra subjects apart from the three), but I didn't get those the first time around. I had an A, a B, and a C the first time around and didn't get into medical school because I didn't make the required number of points. (I did get accepted to do a lesser degree, where I could have transferred across after a year, but I decided to repeat the two subjects). There were people who did more subjects and got B's and C's but because the amount of subjects meant they had more overall points, they got in. So it's perhaps a bit unfair in that regard. I don't exactly know much about the higher-league schools in Britain, but across here you're only allowed to do a maximum of 3 subjects in public school at A-level. Any more than that and you have to pay to do it outside of public school. But some schools will sort of hint that you can go ahead and do that, and you'll be able to take the classes in public school but do the exams privately. It's extremely hard to juggle everything, and I'm happy I just did my three. General Paper is mandatory and doesn't count as one of the three.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Who was your first cricket "hero"?

What can you tell me about local cricket in Trinidad and Tobago?

Do you play yourself?

How does Trinidad compare with Tobago?

Aee you for or against West Indian nations playing separately in international cricket? What if it was only in T20 cricket?

On that topic, could someone like Brian Lara have carried T&T's batting line-up against Test bowlers?

What is your all-time T&T XI?

If you could poach one capped, one uncapped player from other countries for the West Indies XI, who would you take?

Are there any players who've played for the West Indies who you don't thonk would have made any other Test team?

Who would win in a fight, twelve Blackwood sized Rahkeems or one Rahkeem sized Blackwood?

What is your ideal World Cup format?

What on earth happened to Adrian Barath?

Are you for or against The Hundred format?

If you could create a new format of cricket, what would you change?

Do you have an opinion on Darren Stevens?

And finally, I am sorry for any typos in those questions

Users who are viewing this thread