Story Asma Manages Pakistan [ICC 2005]

crickap

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Asma Manages Pakistan (New diary which you voted for!)

INDIAN WOMAN IS NEW MANAGER OF PAKISTAN CRICKET TEAM
30, March, 2005

The Pakistan Cricket board appointed Asma Khan as the manager of the Pakistan Cricket Team. She was previously the manager of the highly successful Indian women's cricket team and the men's Ranji trophy sides Karnataka, Rajasthan and Hyderabad. However, this is her first foray into the international men's game. She has been given a contract until the end of the World Cup in 2007 in the West Indies.

Announcing the decision, PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan said, "We saw presentations by all the applicants. We were most impressed by Asma Khan's commitment and drive to succeed. She has been an immensely successful manager in the past and we are sure she will lead the Pakistan team to success."

Asma Khan said, "I am thrilled to be given this opportunity by the Pakistan Cricket Board. It is a great challenge. This is my first international assignment. It is a dream come true for me to manage an international team. I will give it my utmost and I am confident of leading this team to success." Asked how she felt to manage the Pakistan team, being an Indian national, Asma replied, "I am professional enough to not let that interfere in my judgement." Asked about her aims and objectives for the team, she replied, "Pakistan is now 4th and 6th in the test and ODI rankings respectively. My job is to move the team up the rankings and to put up a good performance in the World Cup. A country like Pakistan deserves to be close to the top of the cricket rankings."

Pakistan skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq said that he and the players were looking forward to working with the new manager. However, sections of the media were non-plussed by the decision.

She is scheduled to move to her residence in Lahore this weekend. The Pakistan cricket team tours the West Indies in May for a test and ODI series.

SQUAD FOR WEST INDIES ANNOUNCED: INZAMAM RETAINED AS CAPTAIN
May 1, 2005.

The chairman of selectors, Wasim Bari and the manager of the Pakistan team Asma Khan, in a joint press conference today announced the squad for the tour of the West Indies. Inzamam has been retained as captain. Mohammed Yousuf is vice-captain.

Waqar Younis has got a recall into the side. Commenting on the selection of Waqar, Asma Khan said, "He is a tremedous bowler and can play a big role in our team." Another surprise recall is that of all rounder Azhar Mahmood. Salman Butt misses out due to an injury. Two wicket-keepers Kamran Akmal and Asim Kamal have been picked.

The team in full is: Inzamam(C), Yousuf(VC), Younis Khan, Afridi, Shoaib Malik, Waqar Younis, Shoaib Akhtar, Sami, Razzaq, Azhar Mahmood, Akmal, Asim Kamal, Hameed, Umar, Hasan Raza, Saqlain, Kaneria, Imran Farhat.

I meet up with the players for the first time. I emphasise the necessity of a fitness regime and the improvements necessary in the fielding department. The players are all receptive to me.

INZAMAM AND PACEMEN SEW UP GUYANA

Pakistan skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq scored a century in each innings as Pakistan beat Guyana by 310 runs. However, Waqar Younis has suffered a muscle strain and may be out of the ODI series which preceeds the tests. The manager, Asma Khan was delighted with the performance. She said, "This is a great start. We hope to take this form into the one-dayers. Inzamam has been splendid." The skipper Inzamam was not available for comment.

YOUNIS KHAN STARS IN BARBADOS WIN

Pakistan beat Barbados by 102 runs in the final warm up game before the three match series against the West Indies.

On the day before the game, Inzamam and I pick the team. We decide to play Afridi in place of Kaneria. Kaneria took 3 wickets in the Barbados game and is disappointed to be left out. I tell him that he will surely get his chances and has been left out only because we wanted to play an extra batsman. We play Mohammed Sami as Waqar is still injured. Afridi is pleased to be playing and promises to repay my confidence in him. We hold a bowlers meeting and a batsmen's meeting discussing the details of the West Indian team.

AFRIDI STARS IN NINE WICKET WIN
St.John's Antigua.

Man of the match Shahid Afridi picked up four wickets in two overs and went to get a patient fifty as Pakistan chased 150 comfortably.

Earlier, Inzamam won the toss and put the Windies in to bat. Although, Sami went wicketless, Shoaib Akhtar and Abdul Razzaq sent back the top order. After Lara's dismissal for 2 and Chanderpaul's for 18, the West Indies never got going. But the collapse from 118/4 to 150 all out was caused by some intelligent bowling from Afridi and Saqlain. Pakistan's sharp display in the field was noticeable.

Despite losing Taufiq Umar early on, Pakistan got to 151 within 40 overs thanks to some patient batting by Shoaib Malik and Shahid Afridi.

Skipper Inzamam thanked the manager Asma Khan and all the players. The manager herself said she was very happy with the performance. "The bowling and fielding was very good. The bowlers bowled to a plan and the fielding was tight. Shahid's innings as well as Shoaib's were crucial as it was difficult to bat on the pitch.

I retain the same squad for the second one-dayer. I stress the importance of wrapping up the series in this game.

CAPTAIN COURAGEOUS WINS SERIES FOR PAK

Inzamam-ul-Haq's century took Pakistan to 287/6 after he won the toss and elected to bat first. The bowlers did the rest as the Windies were bowled out for 232. Inzamam was obviously pleased with the win, but said that the team should concentrate on winning the final one-dayer.

I am pleased with the win but stress that we must concentrate on the final game. We rest Saqlain and Shoaib Akhtar to play Kaneria and Waqar who is back from injury. We also play Yassir Hameed in place of Umar.

RAZZAQ PICKS UP 5 AFTER MALIK SETS UP BIG SCORE

Pakistan won the toss, batted first and scored 282/6 thanks to fifties by Shoaib Malik and the skipper Inzamam. With the ball, Razzaq picked up 5 wickets as the Windies were bowled out for 173. Pakistan have won the ODI series 3-0.

The manager Asma Khan was thrilled to have won her first series. "I am really pleased. Our team has done very well in this series. Inzamam has been a great captain. We hope to carry on this form as we go into the tests." Asked about the probable composition of the test eleven, she said "We have to decide on that yet."

Inzamam himself, who has been in good form with the bat said, "I would like to thank the players and the manager. The manager has been great. She has given us a lot of confidence. We look forward to the tests."

We play three test matches. For the first test, Inzamam left me to decide whether we should play five bowlers or four. Finally, I decide that we must keep the initiative. So, I play the extra bowler in Danish Kaneria and ask Afridi to sit out. Waqar is doing fine in the nets, so I play him along with Shoaib Akhtar, asking Sami to sit out. I decide to open with Shoaib Malik and Taufeq Umar. I tell the team to go for the win in this game, and be agressive at all times. I am rather nervous as this is my first test match!

Day 1: Lara scores hundred, but Windies are bowled out.
WI - 277 PAK - 14/1

Inzamam-ul-Haq won the toss and put the West Indies in on a cloudy morning. The fast bowlers Shoaib Akhtar and Waqar Younis made the breakthroughs, but Lara's brilliant hundred took the West Indies to 277. In reply Pakistan were 14/1 after Tino Best accounted for Taufeq Umar.

I advise the players to play out the morning session and then go for the runs and hope to build up a big lead.

Day 2: Inzamam takes Pakistan within striking distance.
WI - 277 PAK - 268/5

In the first session, Collins picked up both overnight batsman Yousuf and Shoaib Malik to reduce Pakistan to 35/3. However, Younis Khan and Inzamam knuckled down to reach 70/3 at lunch. They gradually began to open up in the post-lunch session. Younis was dismissed by Hinds on 56, but Kamran Akmal stayed with the skipper as Pakistan reached 191/4. In the final session, Inzamam reached his hundred as Pakistan ended the day 9 runs behind with 5 wickets in hand.
Skipper Inzamam was quite pleased with the progress. Manager Asma Khan said, "Inzamam scored a fabulous hundred today. We hope to get about 100 runs ahead. If we bat out the morning session, we can play our shots later on. I am optimistic about winning this test."

Day 3 : Inzamam gets double hundred as Pakistan go ahead.
WI - 277 & 110/3 PAK - 424

Inzamam and Razzaq added 91 runs in the morning session. The skipper got to his double hundred as Pakistan were all out for 424. In reply the West Indies reached 110/3, with Saqlain, Shoaib Akhtar and Kaneria getting a wicket each. But, first innings centurion Lara is still at the crease. Pakistan are 37 runs ahead but the game hinges on Lara now.

I have a session with the bowlers and we talk about the line and length to bowl to Lara. If we can get him cheaply in the morning, I am confident of winning the test.

Day 4: Pakistan close in on historic win
WI - 277 & 317 PAK - 424 & 89/1

Saqlain got Lara out in the first session. But, Hinds, Sarwan and Jacobs played useful innings to give the Windies a fighting chance. They were all out for 317 midway between lunch and tea, leaving Pakistan 171 to win. Collimore bowled Shoaib Malik early on. But, Inzamam who went in at no.3 and Taufeeq Umar took Pakistan to 89/1 at stumps leaving them 82 more to win.

I am glad that my promotion of Inzamam to no.3 turned out fine. I tell them to concentrate and play out the morning session, after which the runs will come automatically.

PAKISTAN WIN FIRST TEST
WI - 277 & 317 PAK - 424 & 171/3

Younis Khan and Inzamam took Pakistan to victory after the loss of Umar and Yousuf early on. Inzamam was pleased to win the test match. He said, "I would like to thank the manager and the team for this great win. I hope we can go on and win the series."

The manager Asma Khan said, "Inzamam has been brilliant. I am confident of winning my first test series. It will be great for Pakistan to win an overseas test series."

I am very pleased by this and hope to repeat the performance in the second test. Yousuf's bad form is one worry though.

II TEST

I decide to play Azhar Mahmood in place of Kaneria, to strenghten the batting line-up. The pitch is helping seamers and this change will also help with that. This is the second and final test, so I don't wish to risk anything. At the same time, I want to remain positive.

Day 1 : Windies bowled out for 244.
WI - 244 PAK - 38/0

Inzamam won the toss and put the West Indies in again. Waqar Younis picked up two wickets in his first over including that of Lara. But, it was the spinners Shoaib Malik and Saqlain who picked up 4 and 3 wickets each to bowl out West Indies for 244

Day 2: Pakistan are just ahead
WI - 244 PAK-313/7

Pakistan reached 313/7, 69 runs ahead of the West Indies total after half centuries by Inzamam and Shoaib Malik.

I think the game is evenly poised and tomorrow will be crucial.

Day 3: Pakistan firmly seize the initiative
WI - 244 & 212/8 PAK - 366

Pakistan reached 366, and reduced the West Indies to 212/8, just 90 runs ahead. Earlier in the day, the Pakistani tail-enders frustrated the West Indies through most of the morning session. With the exception of Sarwan, the West Indies batsmen were ill at ease against the Pakistan attack.

PAKISTAN WIN SERIES ON EXCITING FOURTH DAY
WI - 244 & 241 PAK - 366 & 120/6

Sarwan stuck around for a while this morning and the West Indies reached 241, setting Pakistan a target of 120. The West Indies pace bowlers, Bravo and Collins reduced Pakistan to 76/6. But, Razzaq and Azhar Mahmood added 44 runs to take Pakistan to a 2-0 series win.

Skipper Inzamam said, "This is a great achievment for Pakistan. We have won the ODI series 3-0 and now the test series 2-0. The players have been fantastic, they have given all for their country. We can look forward to even better performaces if we sustain the effort."

The manager Asma Khan was pleased as punch to have wrapped up the series. "It got a bit tense at one stage. But, Razzaq and Azhar showed immense character to stay there and finish the job."

Man of the match Shoaib Malik said that he was glad to have contributed with both bat and ball. He said, "The captain and the manager have been very supportive and have brought out the best in us."

A great series which we completely whitewash! Our next series is in November at home to England followed by a home series against India.

Last edited:
hope you play Imran Farhat somewhere in ODI's, nice story too.

I like this better than the India story, as it's more detailed. Keep it up!

use my real logo pack in the download section. enjoy.

Hey usy it looks like u r a gr8 fan of Imran Farhat ,I think his ability to throw away his wicket will be remove in 2-3 years Inshallah ,and then he could be a great opening batsman and fine quality legspinner ,Infact in this game he is marvellous with both

And by the Asma Baji good choice for choosing Pakistan
I own this game for 6 months now and I never manage Pakistan looking at this diary I m eager to manage Pakistan

I did not choose the team. People voted for it!
Thanks very much for your response. You must keep it up!

I organise a 30-day training camp at Lahore in September-October. We have series against England, India and Sri Lanka immediately after. So, I felt it was a good idea for the players to get in shape before we start.

ENGLAND TOUR PAKISTAN

KANERIA, UMAR DROPPED AS BUTT, FARHAT ARE IN

Danish Kaneria has been dropped from the first test against England. Imran Farhat and Salman Butt have been included. Taufeeq Umar has also been dropped after his poor performance in the West Indies. Waqar Younis is injured and Mohammed Sami will replace him.

The chairman of selectors Wasim Bari said, "We have selected three possible opening batsmen. We have also made the decision to play 6 batsmen. Hence the omission of Kaneria." Manager Asma Khan was unavailable for comment.

We have a team meeting, Inzamam and I decide to open with Salman and Imran Farhat and play Shoaib down the order. This means Afridi will have to sit out. England beat Karachi Whites and are coming into the test in good form. We are no.3 in the test rankings and England are one place above us.

Day 1: Butt scores maiden hundred
PAK - 257/4

On a dusty Rawalpindi track, Inzamam won the toss and elected to bat. Salman Butt repayed the selectors faith, by scoring a patient century as the England bowlers led by Andersson pegged away at the Pakistani top order. They ended the day at 257/4 with Yousuf and Younis Khan at the crease.

Last edited:
I am a touch disappointed at the way Farhat and the skipper threw their wickets away after getting in. Inzamam apologises and Farhat follows. I tell the players to bat with application as we must reach close to 500 to put pressure on the England batting on this flat wicket.

Mohammed Yousuf takes Pakistan past 500
PAK - 524/7

Mohammed Yousuf remained unbeaten on 187 as Pakistan went past the 500 mark. They ended the day on 524/7. After Younis Khan's dismissal for 48, bith Kamran Akmal and Abdul Razzaq got 36 apiece to keep Yousuf company. Manager Asma Khan was very pleased with her team's progress. Asked about the slow rate of scoring, her reply was "I asked my players to bat with application, so that we could get past the 500 mark and put pressure on the England line-up. I don't think our scoring rate is slow as such. I hope Yousuf can get to his double hundred tomorrow morning."

YOUSUF'S DOUBLE HUNDRED PUTS PAK IN COMMAND
PAK - 609 ENG - 281/5

Mohammed Yousuf got to his double century as Pakistan were all out for 609 just before lunch. His was the ninth wicket to go for 240 which equals his highest score. In reply England were 281/5 at stumps. Shoaib Akhtar sent back Strauss and Vaughan, while Saqlain picked up Troughton and Flintoff's wickets. Imran Farhat got the price wicket of Thorpe for 91. Butcher and Jones are at the crease.

Hey good story, but are you a girl in real also? :)
I am also manager of Pak, won the world cup and beat the crap out of Aussies. Playing VB SERIES 2009 now! :) It's the same schedule as 2004/2005 VB SERIES! =/ I really hope that they do make neautreal fixtures after 2011! :D

Day 4: Rain halts Pakistan's march to victory
PAK - 609 ENG - 369

Less the one session of play was possible today as the skies opened up. When play was possible, Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammed Sami ran through the lower order to bowl England out for 369. Matthew Hoggard was hit by a Sami bouncer and is recuperating in hospital. Pakistan have enforced the follow-on, 240 runs ahead.

I tell the players that we have a chance of victory if we bowl really well in the first session. We have a bowlers meeting and come up with strategies for taking the nine wickets we need for victory (Hoggard is out).

PAKISTAN WIN IN TENSE FINISH
PAK - 609 & 29/0 ENG - 369 & 267

In a day with multiple interruptions, Saqlain Mushtaq picked up 5 wickets (5/52) as England were bowled out for 267, leaving Pakistan 28 to win in 5 overs. The openers got there with some mindless hitting within the 3 overs.
Earlier in the day, as the pitch began to take turn and bounce, the selectors, captain and manager must have rued their decision to drop the leg spinner Kaneria.

The captain Inzamam was pleased with the win. However, he said, "We have to keep our feet on the ground as we go into the next two tests, so that we can wrap up the series." Mohammed Yousuf was adjudged man of the match.

We are in top form and I am confident going into the second test. I convince Wasim Bari to include Danish Kaneria in the squad. He does so at the expense of Afridi making no other changes.

On the eve of the test match, I decide to play Kaneria in place of Razzaq. Inzi is fine with that.

Saqlain helps bowl out England
ENG - 275 PAK - 43/1

Saqlain picked up four wickets to bowl England out for 275. In reply Pakistan were 43/1 having lost Imran Farhat. Nigh-watchman Sami and Salman Butt are at the crease.

PAKISTAN ARE MARGINALLY AHEAD
ENG - 275 PAK - 320/7

Inzamam got 97, and Salman Butt and Younis Khan got fifties as Pakistan went past the England total.
I am unhappy with Younis and Salman for throwing their wickets away after getting starts. I tell them about the importance of concentrating hard and staying at the crease.

PAKISTAN WIN BY AN INNINGS AS ENGLAND ARE SKITTLED OUT

ENG - 275 & 75 PAK - 373

A last wicket stand of 38 boosted Pakistan's lead to 98. However, what came after that was the big surprise. Shoaib Akhtar and Danish Kaneria picked up 4 wickets each to bowl England out for 75 to win by an innings. Pakistan have now wrapped up the series 2-0.

Commenting on the win, Inzamam said, "We have beaten them comprehensively, having outplayed them in all deparments. I would like to thank the manager and the players." The manager Asma Khan said, "We have played very well in the last two games. The captain and the players have responded very well to me. We approach the remaining games with confidence."

Since the last game has been reduced in importance, I make some changes.
I play Yassir Hameed in place of Farhat, and Afridi is recalled in place of Shoaib Malik and Hasan Raza is recalled in place of Younis Khan. Waqar is fit again and is in the team in place of Sami.

Hameed scores big hundred, Raza unbeaten on fifty
PAK - 335/3

Recalled to the national team, Yassir Hameed grabbed the oportunity with both hands. He scored a big hundred and remains unbeaten on 161. Another batsman who was recalled Hasan Raza played some wonderful strokes and remained not out on 82. Earlier Inzamam won the toss and elected to bat. Pakistan look firmly in command and are heading to a big total.

Hameed scores 255; England hit back strongly
PAK - 477 ENG - 102/0

Yassir Hameed reached his double hundred as Pakistan posted 477 on the board. Hasan Raza was unlucky to get out on 83. England
reached 102/0 in reply.

Match nicely poised after three days
PAK - 477 & 78/1 ENG - 394

Danish Kaneria picked up 4 wickets as England reached 394 thanks to a century by skipped Vaughan and a half century by Troughton. In reply Pakistan were 78/1, 161 runs ahead at stumps.
The manager Asma Khan was optimistic about victory prospects. "We can set them a target of around 400 in 4 sessions, and have a go at them." However, Waqar Younis' injury reduces Pakistan's chances of victory in this test.

Hameed and Yousuf put Pakistan in pole position.
PAK - 477 & 334/7 decl ENG - 394 & 95/1

Yassir Hameed and Mohammed Yousuf got fifties as Pakistan reached 334/7 before declaring the innings closed. In reply England, needing 417 to win were 95/1. Waqar Younis' injury means that Pakistan must make do with 3 specialist bowlers and Shahid Afridi.

PAKISTAN COMPLETE WHITEWASH
PAK - 477 & 334/7d ENG - 394 & 320

Afridi picked up five wickets as England were bowled out for 320 after putting up a brave fight for much of the day. However, Pakistan missed the injured Waqar Younis and thus lacked a new ball partner for Shoaib.

Manager Asma Khan was thrilled with the series whitewash. "We have done a great job throughout this series and now we are seeing the results. We have comprehensively beaten England in the three match series and now the one-dayers becon. I am sure we can put it past them in the one-dayers as well."

We are now second in the world test rankings.

For the first ODI, I decide to open with Afridi and Hameed to make way for Raza in the team. Razzaq is included and I play Sami, Shoaib Akhtar and Saqlain.

Razzaq bowls Pakistan to victory.

Abdul Razzaq produced a beautiful spell of seam bowling this morning after Inzamam put England in on winiing the toss. He picked up 4/40 as England were all out for 182. Pakistan looked supremely confident as they chased down this total in less than 40 overs.

After Shoaib's very expensive spell, I think about dropping him for the second one-dayer. Finally I decide to go with him. Younis Khan is replaced by Imran Farhat.

PAKISTAN WRAP UP SERIES WITH STELLAR BATTING PERFORMANCE

Inzamam won the toss and inserted England yet again. However, this time Strauss and Trescothick survived the opening spell and their 90 run stand was the foundation for some late hitting to take England to 252/5 in their 50 overs. In reply, Pakistan started off well reaching 91/0 in 15 overs. Yasir Hameed and Imran Farhat remained at the crease until the end, as they got past 252 in less than 44 overs to seal the series.

I leave out Shoaib for the final game and play Waqar instead.

YASIR AND SAQLAIN COMPLETE CLEAN SWEEP

Yet another 200 run stand between Hameed and Farhat took Pakistan to 319/3 in their 50 overs. This time both men got centuries and Farhat remained unbeaten after Inzamam won the toss and chose to bat this time.
After the early loss of Strauss, Pietersen and Trescothinck reached 102/1, scoring at over 6 an over. However, Saqlain and Razzaq brought about a dramatic collapse, bowling England out for 141.

Pakistan have won this series 3-0. Asma Khan, the manager said, "Our next challenge is to beat India. We are in great form now, and the India tour is coming at the right time for us."

INTERVIEW WITH ASMA KHAN

In the lead up to the series against India, our correspondent Rashid Kamal caught up with the manager of the Pakistan cricket team Asma Khan. She has led the team to test and one-day series whitewashes against the West Indies away from home and England at home. A highly successful manager so far. But, she will be judged by what happens in the upcoming contests against India. Previously, she has managed Ranji trophy teams besides the women's national team of India.

Q:Congratulations Asma, on your splendid victories against England.
A: Thank you very much.

Q: After more than 7 months in the job, how do you assess your progress?
A: We have made progress in the fitness and fielding department. We have dropped a few catches in this tournament. But, our ground fielding is pretty tight now. We seem to have established an opening pair - that of Yasir Hameed and Imran Farhat just at the right time. We are introducing young players as and when the opportunity arises.

Q: Were the players receptive to your appointment?
A: Yes, all the players were keen to work with me and were receptive to things I said. I have faced no problems on that front.

Q:What about the captain?
A:Inzamam has been a terrific performer and leads from the front. His commitment is incredible. We have worked well together so far and I hope to do so in future as well.

Q:What is your style as manager?
A:We concentrate on maintaining levels of fitness. Fielding practise is emphasised. The laptop and computer programs play a big role in coaching these days. I demand commitment from the players.

Q:What do you make of the Indian team?
A:They have a strong batting line-up. But, Shoaib Akhtar, Waqar Younis, Saqlain and co can pick up wickets against any batting line-up. We will also be looking to score against their medium pacers as they have excellent spinners in Kumble and Harbhajan.

Q:How do you feel to be the only Indian cheering Pakistan in the upcoming series?
A:I am manager of the Pakistan cricket team and my job is to do what is best for Pakistani cricket.

Q:You have said something about the openers. What is the middle order going to look like?
A: Inzamam and Yousuf are certainities. Hasan Raza and Younis Khan may battle it out for the no.5 place. We also have Shoaib Malik and Shahid Afridi for the no.6 slot.

Q:The bowling?
A:Saqlain, Waqar and Shoaib will be there. The rest will depend on the conditions.

Q:Will you play 4 bowlers or 5?
A:That depends on the conditions and the state of the series.

Q: Do you think we can win the series?
A: I think we have a better team than the Indians all round. So, I am confident of putting it past them in the tests and ODI's.

Q:Are we now second only to Australia?
A: Yes, I think so. As we are constantly improving, I think Australia should watch out for us. We can replace Australia at the top if we continue this great run we are having.

Q:Being an Indian, do you feel enormous pressure being the manager of the Pakistan team in this series?
A:Pressure is always there. But, we must focus on the Pakistan team and what they do on the field than on me.

Q: Do you have a message for the fans before the series?
A:Get behind the team and your country. We will be relying on your support in this series. Passions can run high, but keep things in perspective and appreciate that the players are giving it their best shot.

Q:All the best to you, and the Pakistan team.
A: Thank You.

I TEST

I tell the players to give it their best, as this is the biggest series in test cricket after the Ashes. For the first test, we decide to stick with experience.

BUTT, SAMI DROPPED FOR FIRST TEST

Salman Butt and Mohammed Sami are out of the squad for the first test. Announcing the squad, Wasim Bari said that the selection committee had decided to go with experience. The team in full is : Inzamam(C), Yousuf(VS), Younis Khan, Afridi, Farhat, Hameed, Akmal, Razzaq, Kaneria, Saqlain, Akhtar, Younis.

Kaneria sits out. The pitch is flattish but may take some turn later on.
India are playing - Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Kambli, Dharmani, Harbhajan, Kumble, Gagandeep, Salvi.

HONOURS EVEN ON DAY 1
Rawalpindi

IND - 319/6

Rahul Dravid won the toss and elects to bat. Razzaq removed Sehwag but Dravid and Gambhir, who got a half century took India to 107/1. Pakistan needed to pick up wickets in the afternoon session to stay in the game. Younis dismissed Dravid cheaply and Gambhir was bowled by Shoaib Akhtar. But, Tendulkar and Laxman took India to 206/3 at tea. Farhat and Afridi dimissed Laxman and Tendulkar, while Shoaib got Kambli with the new ball. Harbhajan Singh and Pankaj Dharmani put on 59 runs as they frustrated the Pakistani bowlers in the latter half of the session.

INDIA SURGE AHEAD AFTER KUMBLE SPELL

IND - 393
PAK - 162/3

Shoaib Akhtar picked up the wickets of Harbhajan and Kumble in his first over. But, Dharmani made his way to 87 not out to take India to 393.
In form batsman Yassir Hameed was bowled by Salvi as Pakistan reached 24/1 at lunch. Younis Khan and Farhat were very circumspect against the spinners, and Kumble dismissed Younis before tea and reduced Pakistan to 74/2. Kumble sent back Farhat soon after he had completed his fifty. With Inzamam and Yousuf at the crease, Pakistan were 162/3 at stumps on the second day, 231 runs behind.

KUMBLE PUTS INDIA IN COMMAND

IND - 393 &
PAK - 282

The Pakistani batsmen threw their wickets away to some excellent spin bowling by Kumble and Harbhajan. They lost five wickets in the opening spell and were reeling at 254/8 at lunch, Kumble having picked up 4 wickets and Harbhajan 2. Yousuf was out for 85 while skipper Inzamam was out for 44. It was disappointing to see batsmen get their eye in and get out in that fashion. Kumble picked up the last two wickets after lunch to bowl Pakistan out for 282. He finished with figures of 6/80.
Waqar and Shoaib sent back the openers to leave India at 69/2 at tea. Tendulkar reached his fifty as India consolidated their lead to 265 reaching 154/2 at stumps.

Tendulkar and Dravid pile on the runs
IND - 393 & 383/4d PAK - 282 & 49/3

Tendulkar was dismissed after getting his hundred and was soon followed by Laxman for 7. But, Dravid and Kambli, who got a fifty carried on and India reached 383/4 at tea after Dravid got his hundred. They declared the innings closed at tea leaving Pakistan an impossible target of 494 to win.
In reply Pakistan were reduced to 49/3 having lost Hameed, Farhat and Yousuf.

I am furious with the players for throwing away their wickets the way they did in the first innings and the way they are batting now. I tell them to apply themselves for a day, and they can save the game and go into the next in positive mode.

KUMBLE BOWLS INDIA TO WIN

IND - 393 & 383/4d PAK - 282 & 249

Inzamam was dismissed by a Harbhajan doosra. But, Afridi and Younis Khan remained at the crease to take Pakistan to 122/4 at lunch. Kumble picked up Younis Khan for 53 and Afridi was out for 57 to Harbhajan to leave Pakistan at 210/6 needing to bat out another session for a draw. Yet again set batsme threw their wickets away. Kumble finished with a five wicket haul as he polished the tail to bowl us out for 249.

Captain Inzamam said, "I am very disappointed. We will work hard to bounce back in the next test." Manager Asma Khan said, "We have identified some weaknesses. We will work hard to correct them and go into the next test as a stronger team."

I shout at the players for throwing away their wickets. For the second test I decide to play Kaneria in place of Afridi.

II TEST

I am inclined to be more agressive in this test as we need to win this at any cost.

India are playing Sriram and Balaji in place of Kambli and an injured Kumble. I am glad not to have our batsmen face Kumble.

INDIA GET PAST 400 ON FIRST DAY
IND - 403/5.

Dravid wins the toss and elects to bat again. The openers and Tendulkar fall before lunch to leave India at 121/3. Laxman and Dravid score hundreds and Dharmaini scores 74(62) balls as India get past 400.

INDIA ARE IN POLE POSITION

India were all out for 484 before lunch. Wickets fell at regular intervals and Pakistan were 157/5 at stumps.

VALIANT EFFORT BY WAQAR SAVES FOLLOW ON
IND - 484 & 51/1 PAK - 317

Waqar Younis scored 46 to save Pakistan the ignominy of following on. Earlier Younis Khan was out for 83. Shoaib Akhtar bowled Sehwag early on and India were 51/1 at stumps.

I think we are still in with a chance of at least saving the game.
INTERESTING FINAL DAY IN STORE

IND - 484 & 269 PAK - 317 & 74/2

Shoaib Akhtar picked up 4 wickets as India were all out for 269. Earlier, India had been reduced to 132/5. But, Tendulkar and Dharmani put on 63 runs, which enabled them to set Pakistan a target of 437.
Pakistan reached 74/2 in reply, looking positive from the outset.

INDIA ROMP HOME TO SERIES WIN

Two more wickets, that of skipper Inzamam and vice-captain Yousuf were lost to Harbhajan as Pakistan reached 181/4 at lunch. Despite Farhat's century Pakistan were bowled out for 295.

The manager Asma Khan said, "I am very disappointed by this performance. I am completely distraught. We must bounce back in the next game."

Sections of the press question my loyalty. My house is stoned and there is a lot of pressure on me. However, the players back me to continue.

III TEST

For the third test, I bring back Hasan Raza in place of Yousuf and Salman Butt in place of Younis Khan. I also bring in Afridi in place of Kaneria and Asim Kamal in place of Kamran Akmal.
SEHWAG GETS DOUBLE HUNDRED

IND - 398/5

India scored nearly 300 runs in a day once more. Sehwag was unbeaten on 211 at stumps.

INDIA GO FOR THIRD WIN

IND - 573 PAK - 90/3

India reached 573 and then their bowlers continued the good work, picking up three crucial wickets to reduce Pakistan to 90/3.

RAZZAQ AND FARHAT KEEP PAKISTAN IN GAME

Abdul Razzaq and Imran Farhat put on an unbroken stand of 222 runs for the sixth wicket to take Pakistan to 318/5, still 255 runs behind India's mamoth total of 573.

INDIA CLOSE IN ON VICTORY
IND - 573 & 221/2 PAK - 426 & 8/0

India bowled Pakistan out for 426 and then declared their innings closed on 221/2 leaving Pakistan 369 to win. Pakistan are 8/0.

LAST WICKET PAIR SNATCH DRAW

Shoaib Akhtar and Saqlain Mushtaq batted out the last hour to save Pakistan from the ignominy of a 3-0 defeat to arch rivals India.

There have been calls for the removal of Asma Khan. She however was resolute. She said, "I will try my best for Pakistan as long as the board keep me as manager. I am confident of bouncing back in the ODI's."

ODI SERIES

For the first one-dayer I select : Malik, Farhat, Afridi, Khan, Inzamam, Yousuf, Kamal, Shoaib, Azhar Mahmood, Razzaq, Saqlain.
I fill the team with all-rounders to exploit our advantage in that department.
India are in confident mood and play 5 bowlers.

CAPTAIN TAKES PAKISTAN TO VICTORY

Inzamam-ul-Haq scored 81(96) to take Pakistan past their target of 187. Earlier Abdul Razzaq and Shoaib Malik exposed the frailities of the Indian batting line-up. Only Tendulkar 71 put up resistance after Inzamam won the toss and put India in.

Inzamam was delighted with the victory. He said, "The players did very well to bounce back after the setback in the tests. We hope to take the momentum with us into the next two games."

I retain the same team for the second ODI.

DRAVID WINS GAME FOR INDIA

Inzamam won the toss and elected to bat this morning. Harbhajan Singh picked up five wickets as Pakistan were bowled out for 233 in the 48th over. A number of batsmen got starts only to through their wicket away in the 20's and 30's.
Dravid scored a hundred to take India past the target.

The series is level and it's all down to the last game. I retain the 11 for the final game. I think we can win if we keep our nerve.

PAKISTAN WIN SERIES

Pakistan won the toss again and put India in. Azhar Mahmood picked up three wickets as they restricted India to 232/7 on a good batting pitch. Openers Afridi and Farhat put on 49 in 9 overs before Afridi was run out by a direct hit. Inzamam promoted to no.3 got his fifty as Pakistan were well on course at the half way stage having reached 139/1. Balaji bowled Inzamam for 83. Despite two further wickets in quick succession, Pakistan reached the target with 5.1 overs to spare.

Inzamam was delighted with the win. "We have won the ODI series and it is no small achievment."

A jubiliant Asma Khan did a victory lap draped in the Pakistan flag. The crowd responded tremendously! She said, "I am glad to have regained some pride for Pakistan, after our loss in the test series. We performed superbly in the one-dayers and the results are testimony to that."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread