Associates Outshine the Full Members / Canadawatch

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Well, an absolute thriller here today at Hangzhou! Sad, it had to end this way for Malaysia, but they sure gave a tough fight to Bangladesh!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Looking at the populations of some of these African teams; I knew Nigeria was large, 213m, but wanted to find out about Tanzania (64m), Rwanda (13.5m), Kenya (53m) and Uganda (46m).

There's a real chance of big growth of the game in Africa and realistically at least one of these teams overtaking Zimbabwe and Namibia just through sheer weight of population. Of course infrastructure and coaching is probably the hardest area to enable improvement and expansion. Access to the sport and equipment is a tough one but a lot of these countries seem to be doing well.

Namibia, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Nigeria are all in the top 30 T20 rankings for women's cricket too (only Namibia, Uganda an Kenya are in the top 25 for men). 5 of the Top 20 women's teams are from Africa, whereas for the men's it only 3.

Botswana will be joining the same seven teams from the men's qualifier in the women's qualifier next month. It's only to reach the global qualifier not the actual tournament because the Women's T20 World Cup only has 10 teams but it's not impossible that one might make it.

This is where I think at least the ICC should take away an amount from Afghanistan and share with associates that are trying to maintain pathways for women's teams.

A normal sport, that wants to grow, would surely be looking at this current tournament and thinking 'hey, let's pump up these nations with some extra funding'.

I wonder where Kenya might be had they got full member status in the late 1990s. Bangladesh have gone from the 4th best team in Asia to the 5th best team in Asia. Surely Kenya, might have achieved similar with all the funding Bangladesh must've had over the years.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Looking at the populations of some of these African teams; I knew Nigeria was large, 213m, but wanted to find out about Tanzania (64m), Rwanda (13.5m), Kenya (53m) and Uganda (46m).

There's a real chance of big growth of the game in Africa and realistically at least one of these teams overtaking Zimbabwe and Namibia just through sheer weight of population. Of course infrastructure and coaching is probably the hardest area to enable improvement and expansion. Access to the sport and equipment is a tough one but a lot of these countries seem to be doing well.

Namibia, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Nigeria are all in the top 30 T20 rankings for women's cricket too (only Namibia, Uganda an Kenya are in the top 25 for men). 5 of the Top 20 women's teams are from Africa, whereas for the men's it only 3.

Botswana will be joining the same seven teams from the men's qualifier in the women's qualifier next month. It's only to reach the global qualifier not the actual tournament because the Women's T20 World Cup only has 10 teams but it's not impossible that one might make it.

This is where I think at least the ICC should take away an amount from Afghanistan and share with associates that are trying to maintain pathways for women's teams.

A normal sport, that wants to grow, would surely be looking at this current tournament and thinking 'hey, let's pump up these nations with some extra funding'.

I wonder where Kenya might be had they got full member status in the late 1990s. Bangladesh have gone from the 4th best team in Asia to the 5th best team in Asia. Surely Kenya, might have achieved similar with all the funding Bangladesh must've had over the years.
Lets start a go fund me for them. No nation should be deprived of development money when a board like ICC exists. They dont need 10’s of stadium. One stadium would do with good facilities and coaches can be found through ex players.
Post automatically merged:

Also ICC should pay for their coaches. $20k money for six months to ex players who have nothing in hand is money they could get while players get paid via local boards.

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Nigeria’s most popular sport is football and they’ve got a strong history in track and field events. Other than that I don’t think there’s a sport there that’s as popular, maybe basketball at worst. One strong cricket generation backed by some investment could easily be the seed for the sport’s growth there. Rwanda’s questionable political scene aside, they’ve also got the money to fund cricket if there’s a proper push for it.

It’s a bit frustrating that there isn’t an African equivalent of the Asia Cup at the higher level. You could easily get some decent games that could also garner viewers by hosting it in Zimbabwe and involving all of the teams in the current T20 WC qualifiers, a South Africa A team and one more wildcard side. I’d rather have an organic scene from African teams over the Gulf countries parading around with blokes who can’t even be citizens of the countries they play for in their lifetimes.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Thanks to their qualification to the 2019 T20 WC Qualifiers replacing Zimbabwe during their ban, Nigeria have had the experience of playing some top associates + a full member (Ireland) unlike the others

Still seems funny to me how Nepal werent able to make it to that Qualifier but Nigeria managed to and got to play Ireland, Oman, Hong Kong, UAE and the likes. They managed to get 5 wickets against both UAE and Hong Kong in a very low run chase. Their batting was horribly undercooked but they showed some potential

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Big match today. Kenya v Uganda.

If Uganda win they go to eight points. That would probably make them favourites to make the World Cup with one match remaining against Rwanda.
If Kenya win they would to go eight points with one match left against Zimbabwe. Assuming Zim win this morning, that match would then effectively be a decider (if there's a tie for NRR then Zimbabwe are well ahead).

I would assume Zimbabwe win their final two and get to eight points. So it's really a case of whether or not Uganda or Kenya can beat that.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Even though they have lost two, Raza has been absolutely brilliant for Zimbabwe and is in the form of his life. Opening the batting while taking wickets. Big win today since that boosted their NRR even more.

Users who are viewing this thread