Batting first in OD games

Oli987

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
What is it with batting first in one day/T20 games on ICC 08? It seems virtually impossible to defend a total! When I'm chasing I have a pretty good record but batting first I can never win...I've had over 300 chased down on a few occasions...and the same tactics that work fairly well when bowling first get me hammered all round the park.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah this does happens sometimes, hopefully the patch will fix it.

However, if a batsmen is going for it, lower youe defensive mentality, helps me.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
I always bat first and nearly always defend the total if I get something respectable. Ive won 6 out of 6 OD matches in the Pro40 and I won the challenge cup.

Are you bowling to their weaknesses and stuff cause thats what works on mine.

jimbob

Club Cricketer
maybe it because you bowling is allot weaker then your batting. my team is quite ballanced so dont really have a preference over batting or bowling. the lowest score ive successfully defended was 178 in the challenge cup.

Sureshot

Executive member
What is the make up of your bowling attack? I find that when batting first you need to make more technical adjustments. Particularly when bowling. I play 3 spinners in OD cricket so I am fairly confident in defending total. Helps that my top 6 is very strong, so if one area fails, I often find the other are makes up for it.

fisch

Club Cricketer
Last season, my record in the 45-over National League (as it's called on ICC 2005) was:

Batting first: Played 7, Won 1, Lost 6*
Batting second: Played 9, Won 6, Tied 2, Lost 1

Batting first is harder because you don't know how many runs you need, whereas batting second you can pace your innings. Set yourself a target when batting first, a score which you believe you can defend, given the pitch, weather and quality of opposition. Then pace your innings and work towards that score.

If you are defending a small total, try restricting the opposition in the beginning, instead of going on all-out attack. Then, watch the required run-rate creep up, once it rises to about 5.5 to 6 an over required, the opposition will play more shots, so attack them at this point and you are likely to get wickets. Set yourself a target such as: 'give them at least 105 runs to chase off the last 20 overs', 'give them at least 60 to chase off the last 10 overs', etc.

When defending a big total, you could attack them from the beginning, because the chasing batsman will be aggressive right from the start. Also, bowl to their weaknesses.

*Didn't quite go to plan in my own matches though....

Last edited:

GrahamB

School Cricketer
I always bat first and nearly always defend the total if I get something respectable. Ive won 6 out of 6 OD matches in the Pro40 and I won the challenge cup.

Are you bowling to their weaknesses and stuff cause thats what works on mine.

Correct. Whereas bowling to the batsmen's weaknesses fails miserably in FC games, it works quite nicely in OD games.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
I agree. It's so hard to defend totals, yet so easy to chase them. I usually bowl first if I win the toss in an ODI nowadays, but have won a couple of times batting first. Now I don't have the game anyway. I only had it on the two day trial and will not be paying $55 for it either.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I disagree
I can Defend my score.
Even If i get 200 runs or 300 runs.
I can defend it. all you need to to pick the right bowler each time.
I played a Test against Pakistan, they had 2 day to make 234.
but i all them out
http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45669

in one of my stories.
I have beaten Sri Lanka after I score 252
http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1091887&postcount=15

yet another one
I made 229. and allout Bermuda for 179
http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1093018&postcount=19

Users who are viewing this thread