Batting in test/ODI/T20

Raish66

School Cricketer
Hi guys,

I just wanted to check something.. It seems to me that it is easier to play aggressive shots in shorter formats of the game.. I tend to get out less quickly in a T20 match then a test match while playing a lofted shot.. Do you guys experience the same?

It's probably because batsmen start with higher confidence in T20s

It seems to me that it is easier to play aggressive shots in shorter formats of the game
Shouldn't this be the case anyway?

Shouldn't this be the case anyway?

Why? - just cos its T20 doesn't mean batting is any easier than test matches in real life. The pitch is the same length, the ball the same size and weight, the bats the same.

Its just that you have to take more risk as you only have 20 overs, not 1.5 days.

NO[DOUBLEPOST=1414289367][/DOUBLEPOST]Boundaries are shorter, bats are heavier, ball is different, batsman starts with a higher confidence. Also you can easily avoid your nemesis, and score of others.

NO[DOUBLEPOST=1414289367][/DOUBLEPOST]Boundaries are shorter, bats are heavier, ball is different, batsman starts with a higher confidence. Also you can easily avoid your nemesis, and score of others.

Hahaha are you serious??? Do you know the laws of the game?

Bats aren't any different across formats. Balls are the same weight. Regardless of the format. The only thing different is the colour of the paint.

Avoid your nemesis? What does this even mean?

ya i went cricket law school at MCC and wrote quite a few of them. #very-serious

lol are you saying MSD or gayle are not using a heavier bat to club it in t20s or odis? Its not more about specifications as much as what people use.

certainly everyone will agree white ball is not the same as redball. Is it not why ICC has got the brain fart of using 2 new balls as these get less lethal inside of 50 overs.

Apart from color and getting soft quickly due to conditions, they also come to the bat nice earlier being harder.

BBC Sport - Cricket - Does the white ball behave differently?

BBC News | Cricket | Red or white? Cheers for cricket's swingers

newyorkcricket

while kookabura claim the process are same the players dont agree to it, as well as dukes manufacturer also agree with player.

This is due to a polyurethane coating on top of the white-dyed leather to ensure that the ball does not get dirty quickly. This coating makes the ball smoother and changes its aerodynamics thereby assisting swing as well as making it harder and smooth.

Avoid nemesis

in test cricket you are stuck with a bowler like johnson or steyn for a spell and have to play through your skin to survive it if ou are not up for it, were as in t20s you can easily avoid that and cash in on other bowlers.Also even the same steyn is more likely to look for containing you than looking to take your wicket.

[/serious]

ya i went cricket law school at MCC and wrote quite a few of them. #very-serious

lol are you saying MSD or gayle are not using a heavier bat to club it in t20s or odis? Its not more about specifications as much as what people use.

certainly everyone will agree white ball is not the same as redball. Is it not why ICC has got the brain fart of using 2 new balls as these get less lethal inside of 50 overs.

Apart from color and getting soft quickly due to conditions, they also come to the bat nice earlier being harder.

BBC Sport - Cricket - Does the white ball behave differently?

BBC News | Cricket | Red or white? Cheers for cricket's swingers

newyorkcricket

while kookabura claim the process are same the players dont agree to it, as well as dukes manufacturer also agree with player.

This is due to a polyurethane coating on top of the white-dyed leather to ensure that the ball does not get dirty quickly. This coating makes the ball smoother and changes its aerodynamics thereby assisting swing as well as making it harder and smooth.

Avoid nemesis

In test cricket you are stuck with a bowler like johnson or steyn for a spell and have to play through your skin to survive it if ou are not up for it, were as in t20s you can easily avoid that and cash in on other bowlers.Also even the same steyn is more likely to look for containing you than looking to take your wicket.

[/serious]

Facing bowling in a T20 isn't just magically easier than a test match! The differences in the behaviour of the balls are very minimal. In the shortened version you're more likely to face a newer ball that swings and seams more given that two balls are used in 50 over matches, and in T20 the innings in only 20 overs long. The ICC introduced two balls to give more life to the contest for the audience - a newer ball is easier to see, bounces, seams and swings more and comes off the bat quicker.

As for bats, you are absolutely out if you mind if you think that a batsman will choose a different bat specifically for T20 cricket that gives them magical powers and confidence. They get accustomed to using the same bat across ALL formats. Changing bat specs all the time screws with their game. Trust me, as a batsman one small change to a new bat screws with everything.

In limited overs cricket, sure you may not have to face your 'nemesis', but conversely you don't have the pressure of having to maintain a high run rate. You can afford to see off bowlers in test matches. In T20 and one dayers there is generally no time to do so. PLUS, the bowling is generally faster and more intense as the spells are shorter.

Facing bowling in a T20 isn't just magically easier than a test match!

its not magically easier but less dangerous as the bowler is containment mode than wicket taking most of the times...and there is a whole deal of pschological stuff too, when you get out in t20s it doesnt play in your mind but if you get your stumps knocked once in tests you will be rattled for sometime to come.

The differences in the behaviour of the balls are very minimal.

cricket is a subtle game little things matter is it not why we see players biting the ball, scratching it in their zip , wiping the dew,shining oneside etc.

The ICC introduced two balls to give more life to the contest for the audience

interesting, except they have taken a species called spinners [especially good reving spinner flighting the ball etc] totally out of equation and has it improved the situation, ya batsman are scoring and clubbing more nowadays 300 is not enough anymore.

As for bats, you are absolutely out if you mind if you think that a batsman will choose a different bat specifically for T20 cricket that gives them magical powers and confidence.

lot of hitters use a heavier bat when they want to go in attack mode, especially t20s, msd,gayle,hayden etc. Not necessarily heavier but more meatier bats. Also DBC doesnt give you magical powers to hit sixes in limited overs you still need to time it and work out which deliveries to hit.

In limited overs cricket, sure you may not have to face your 'nemesis', but conversely you don't have the pressure of having to maintain a high run rate. You can afford to see off bowlers in test matches. In T20 and one dayers there is generally no time to do so. PLUS, the bowling is generally faster and more intense as the spells are shorter.

a recent example, would be virat who struggled in tests a lot and then found it a bit easier in odi and smacked it in t20s.

ok lets put it like this, as easier or harder is subjective to each, but im sure we can agree its a totally different ball game to Tests. Which i think is perfectly captured in DBC, like you say runrate of 200 in 20 overs evens out whatever little advantage you get by that little confidence meter boost while still getting the feel of being able to smack it about a bit like in t20s.

Anyway think we have discussed this much that's as much as im going to say on this topic, i will hold to my opinion you to yours:)

Hi guys,

I just wanted to check something.. It seems to me that it is easier to play aggressive shots in shorter formats of the game.. I tend to get out less quickly in a T20 match then a test match while playing a lofted shot.. Do you guys experience the same?
Field settings are different for each format.

for me t20 batting is as tough as test match.

Users who are viewing this thread