Benaud retires from England commentary

Pak_cricketer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Richie Benaud will commentate his last Test in England at The Oval next week. Benaud, who has been cricket broadcasting's most comfortable armchair for the past 42 years, will hang up the microphone when Channel 4's contract with the ECB expires after the fifth Test. He has ruled out a switch to Sky, who control the rights from next season.

"It is time to say goodbye because I won't be doing any more television in the United Kingdom," Benaud told Cricinfo in an exclusive interview. "I'll still be doing free-to-air in Australia. I've got a three-year contract with Channel 9 which will probably be extended."

Benaud, 74, said he knew the time was right to retire, just as he did when he ended his Test career in 1964, but he regretted the loss of C4's coverage. "From the production and direction point of view, they've been quite magnificent in the six years that they've been doing it," he said.

While international cricket will be available only on subscription television in England from next season until 2009, Benaud refused to challenge the decision. Instead he praised the Australian government's move in March 2004 to produce legislation that ensured cricket remained on free-to-air and hoped the game would again be available on terrestrial broadcasts.

"There are only two groups of people who have control over that," he said of the ECB's decision to give the rights to Sky. "The first is the government of the day and the second is the ECB. It's the ECB who persuaded the government to take cricket off the restricted list."

Admired throughout the world, Benaud was last month voted the runaway winner in The Wisden Cricketer's commentators' poll. "It's a great compliment from the people who have been watching over the years and I very, very much appreciate it," he said. "One of the reasons is that I've been coming over to England for 42 years. I spent a long time with the BBC and then with Channel 4, all on free-to-air. And a lot of the stuff I have done with Channel 9 in Australia has come back to England as well. It's something that I'll treasure."

Despite deserving a long rest, Benaud quickly rejected talk of total retirement and is currently promoting his book My Spin on Cricket. "What I won't be doing is television in the United Kingdom," he said. "Daphne, my wife, and I will be over in England in the next couple of years. I want to keep writing if I can. I love writing because it's the first thing I did before I did any television."

The comprehensive interview with Richie Benaud in Q & A format can be read here.
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/engvaus/content/story/217739.html
? Cricinfo

No doubt one of the greatest commentators if not the best in the world today. Its a damn shame the ECB have given the rights to Sky as IMO Channel 4 have been brilliant ever since they took over the rights from BBC and far better than Sky have been who should really stick to the English domestic cricket as I dont really enjoy there coverage of test matches, the commentators are just too dull and lack the enthusiasm of the C4 commentators.

Briggsey said:
No doubt one of the greatest commentators if not the best in the world today. Its a damn shame the ECB have given the rights to Sky as IMO Channel 4 have been brilliant ever since they took over the rights from BBC and far better than Sky have been who should really stick to the English domestic cricket as I dont really enjoy there coverage of test matches, the commentators are just too dull and lack the enthusiasm of the C4 commentators.

Monday will be a sad day for english cricket. It will mark the death of terestrial cricket coverage, following the likes of football and I believe soon Rugby. Agree Briggsey about sky comentators not matching up to Channel 4 ones. I will miss them. (Richie especially)

Its that arrogant prat David Morgan's fault. He says the deal is good for cricket but how is it good if people who dont have sky cant watch the cricket except for what will be some shoddy highlights package on Channel 5!? Its ridiclious and im not suprised there is so much opposition to it. Hopefully something will be done about it because no cricket on free TV for the next 4 years could seriously damage it.

Yes this will mean more TV money. But will it mean more money overall?

Let's see. Imagine you're a sponsor. Do you want your product to be advertised on a TV station that is available for all to watch for free, or one that attracts less than 1 million viewers for it's test matches?

English cricket will loose sponsors, and loose much needed recognition, at the time at which it is just starting to make inroads in that area.

Sure they've got highlights on terrestrial television.

On Channel 5, which 10% of the population can't even get.

"But they are in prime time!", the ECB say. That time is prime time because it's when more than 10 million people watch soap operas on other channels!!!

Cricket is at the highest point it's been since 1981, and the ECB are about to throw all that away. The sport could struggle to recover.

Well done Richie, you have done a good service to English Cricket. It is a shame that Channel 4 are losing their rights, but I cant see there being any legislation added making it a must to remain terrestrial. Oh well, lets not be too critical of the move to sky until we have heard them do a couple of matches.

quite possibly richie again. he said he is still contracted with channel nine in australia for 3 more years then probably more

Yes, but hopefully not (in a good way :D), we want more than one commentator!! Hopefully 4 or 5 different voices. This would make the game a whole lote more interesting.

But back on topic, good old Richie, you aussies are lucky to have him commentating over their for years to come :)

Well at least we will be able to hear Richie's voice for the next ashes in Australia :)

But still I keep seeing new articles on BBC and in the newspapers about people against the move and demanding something be done about it, but at the moment the government have a lot more on their minds than to decide how cricket should be shown. Maybe once the ECB and in more particular David Morgan see's the difference between ratings of Sky and C4 he will know he's made a mistake.

Briggsey said:
Well at least we will be able to hear Richie's voice for the next ashes in Australia :)

But still I keep seeing new articles on BBC and in the newspapers about people against the move and demanding something be done about it, but at the moment the government have a lot more on their minds than to decide how cricket should be shown. Maybe once the ECB and in more particular David Morgan see's the difference between ratings of Sky and C4 he will know he's made a mistake.

Sadly that will be too late though.

I know, like I said, its all his fault and I hope he comes to rue the mistake he has made.

stevie said:
Just out of interest, is anyone else on here going to the House of Commons tomorrow regarding the Cricket and the TV deal?

I was invited, but I can't because my sixth form starts tommorow! :mad: :(

I take it your going though Stevie?

Users who are viewing this thread