• Yuvraj Singh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nathan Astle

• Shivnaraine Chanderpaul

• Clarke/Katich/Gilchrist (specify)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Vaughan/Sarwan/Imran Farhat/Ashraful/Attapattu (specify)

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Others

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
sohummisra said:
Unquestionably Rahul Dravid. And this is not just me but many cricket experts speaking. Dravid in mediocre form is better in technique than most cricketers in their peak form. Tendulkar has become too much of an on-side player of late--he move across the stumps and tries to play it away through mid-wicket. Dravid leaves almost perfectly (I remember the Bangladesh dismissal), has a rock solid defensive shot and plays a splendid cover-drive and pull shot. He can also be unorthodox and has perfected shots like the leg-glance in the last 10 overs of an ODI and the reverse sweep.

Quite easily the most technically-sound batsman.

well said.....

dravid

I agree that Dravid is one of the best batsmen in world cricket, but all the other elite batsmen have great cover-drivers and pull shots. In fact, there are cuts and hooks as well as drives that go in all sorts of directions. I digress, though, Dravid has a range of shots too. The question is, does backing away excessively constitute bad technique? You could say this is merely a simple technical problem, but that would then mean that it is in fact technique.
I point this out, because if we are discussing the finest techniques, then it is important to analyse the points that make them different, in order to ascertain the best.

Well if we're getting into this sort of discussion, we must discuss what constitute the best technique. Are we talking about the technique that is more stereotypically acceptable, most classically acceptable or most scientifically acceptable? I think if we take this discussion classically (as I think was expected) leaving is considered a type of shot. In fact people are also said to have made "good leaves". Leaving the ball constitutes understanding where your off-stump is and leaving deliveries that you are not required to play. But why are you playing cricket if you don't want to play at deliveries, you may ask? Well it was classically ideal to play cricket by putting the bad balls away. In fact, you were a good player if you could put a good ball away. It was bad to play away from the body.

Now, if you look at this discussion from the modern perspective, who has the best technique? How can we measure it? Do we measure it by using the runs scored or the absolute feeling of giving up felt by opposition? It is all relative, my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread