Best catches you have ever seen?

rahulk666

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Just thought now that we had a thread for best ball bowled why not discuss about the best catches ever seen by you folks.

For me the one that pops up immediately (prolly cause I am an indian fan) is Jadeja's amazing runnning catch to dismiss Border in WC 92. That was Jadeja's way to announce himself to international cricket... I do not know whether he is a match-fixer or not (please don't discuss this in this thread) but the catch he took was simply magnificient.

Others that are equally stunning are

Gibbs catch to dismiss Tendulkar when India toured SA (Tendulkar had scored 169 and was in blazing form) The ball looked like crossing the fence but Gibbs plucked it out of thin air

Jonty's five catches against WI in mumbai... all were good...

McGrath took a great one against England I think near the boundary. The next days newspaper had photo of Mcgrath in mid-air and the caption read: "Pigeon flys"

Last edited:
some recent ones are Kaif's catches - one from Karachi odi, one in the last series, Lara's catch to remove Flintoff in champions trophy,
Mark Waugh has taken some blinders over the years..
and many by Jonty :D

rahulk666 said:
Gibbs catch to dismiss Tendulkar when India toured SA (Tendulkar had scored 169 and was in blazing form) The ball looked like crossing the fence but Gibbs plucked it out of thin air

That was Adam Bacher if I remember correctly..

Shailesh said:
some recent ones are Kaif's catches - one from Karachi odi, one in the last series, Lara's catch to remove Flintoff in champions trophy,
Mark Waugh has taken some blinders over the years..
and many by Jonty :D

That was Adam Bacher if I remember correctly..

Oh yeah.. right.. it was Adam Bacher indeed.. my bad.. man!! the catch was jaw-dropping

I also agree that M. Waugh has taken some blinders but he used to make it look so easy with minimal celebration (after taking the catch) that most people did not understand how difficult the catch really was.

One I remember was to dismiss Laxmn in 2001 chennai match..that one almost turned the game!

Shailesh said:
One I remember was to dismiss Laxmn in 2001 chennai match..that one almost turned the game!
Yes, I do remember that one. Coming back from the marvellous 281... Laxman was stroking the ball nicely just to edge this one low to M. Waugh at 2nd slip (i think). I clearly remember the commentator (i fail to remember) say that it was a great catch and very difficult catch but M. Waugh made it look simple.

mcgrath... adelaide.... full outstreched diving catch. i think that may have been against india aswell. and also mark waughs 99 world cup final catch to take the first wicket. set the tone for the rot of pakistan

Most of Jhonty Rhodes catches when he was in his prime,awesome. :hpraise

rahulk666 said:
Yes, I do remember that one. Coming back from the marvellous 281... Laxman was stroking the ball nicely just to edge this one low to M. Waugh at 2nd slip (i think). I clearly remember the commentator (i fail to remember) say that it was a great catch and very difficult catch but M. Waugh made it look simple.

I think Shailesh is talking abt the catch Mark Waugh took in the Indian second innings where Laxman scored 65. This catch was at mid wicket where Mark Waugh flung himself to his wrong side (left hand side!) and plucked the ball out of thin air. I was shocked at that catch!!!

My 5 favorite catches are:

• Jonty Rhodes catching Tendulkar at silly point in a match in the Standard Bank Tri Series 1997 in South Africa (the series where Dravid and Donald had that ugle stand off)
  • Yuvraj Singh's catch in the ICC Trophy 2002 semifinal which turned the match in India's favor.
  • Rajesh Chauhan's amazing caught and bowled catch in the ODI tournament in Pakistan in 1997
  • Mohammed Kaif's tumbling catch in the 2004 Karachi ODI where he tumbled over Badani to take that catch! Awesome stuff!
  • MSK Prasad's catch to dismiss Lara in the 1997 Sahara Cup in Toronto. It was a brilliant catch to dismiss Lara and Prasad had to dive to his wrong side (left side!) to catch it!

saisrini80 said:
I think Shailesh is talking abt the catch Mark Waugh took in the Indian second innings where Laxman scored 65. This catch was at mid wicket where Mark Waugh flung himself to his wrong side (left hand side!) and plucked the ball out of thin air. I was shocked at that catch!!!

I think Laxman himself stood his ground in amazement at that catch being taken!!!!!

I think the best catch I have seen was, again, Mark Waugh, at slip against Pakistan at Hobart in 1999, Inzi was on fire, was batting on 100+ and Warne bowled a flipper (I think), Inzi went to cut the ball flew to slip and Waugh took the catch one-handed to his right........just amazing!!!!!
Even Shane Warne described that as being the best catch he had seen as well......
Plus the most famous catch in Indian cricket history, taken by Kapil Dev to dismiss Viv Richards in the 1983 World cup final was awesome........I must have seen that catch thousands of time, but still amazes you how he took that catch with so little fuss!!!!!!

Most of Mohammad Kaif's catches.He's currently the best fielder in the world.

Also Zaheer Khan's caught & bold of Youhana in the 1st ODI in Pak tour of India 2005.
Youhana was out for a duck.

I can put the cliping here if there is no objection from Mods/Admins.

The catch that sticks most in my mind is when Mark Taylor was fielding in the slips, he dropped it, fell down, then kicked the ball with his foot up to his hands

Andy Bichel...FICA World XI vs. NZ, caught it at the boundary, then he started losing his balance. As he was about to fall over the rope, he threw the ball into the air, jumped pver the rope, ran back and took the catch beautifully. Amazing.

1.Jonty Rhodes' Catch Against Zimbabwe In The 1999 World Cup

2.Don't remember the match,but I think it was Kallis against India.

squiz said:
The catch that sticks most in my mind is when Mark Taylor was fielding in the slips, he dropped it, fell down, then kicked the ball with his foot up to his hands

I vaguely remember this..which team were they playing against?

Users who are viewing this thread