World Cup XIs from what you have seen

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Continuing off from where I left. Honestly, 2007 wasnt one I followed completely. After India crashed out, there was actually nothing much to do. Given that the matches were held late in the night (IST) and the fact that they had a super long and boring Super 8's, it sucked all excitement out. I remember tuning into some specific games (KOs+FinaL0 and the odd ones like Lara's last game and all.

Hayden
AB de Villiers :wkb:
Ponting :c:
Jayawardene
Pietersen
Kallis
Vettori
Murali
Malinga
Tait
McGrath

The Australians more or less selected themselves here. Hard to look beyond Ponting as captain here. In terms of bowling- going in with 5 pure bowlers backed up by Kallis as the 5th option. I was dilly dallying on having someone like Flintoff, but it would upset the apple cart. The notable omission is Gilchrist- who was pretty savage in the finals- that apart, didn't have a great tournament as he was blowing hot and cold.

noducksallowed

Club Captain
Continuing off from where I left. Honestly, 2007 wasnt one I followed completely. After India crashed out, there was actually nothing much to do. Given that the matches were held late in the night (IST) and the fact that they had a super long and boring Super 8's, it sucked all excitement out. I remember tuning into some specific games (KOs+FinaL0 and the odd ones like Lara's last game and all.

Hayden
AB de Villiers :wkb:
Ponting :c:
Jayawardene
Pietersen
Kallis
Vettori
Murali
Malinga
Tait
McGrath

The Australians more or less selected themselves here. Hard to look beyond Ponting as captain here. In terms of bowling- going in with 5 pure bowlers backed up by Kallis as the 5th option. I was dilly dallying on having someone like Flintoff, but it would upset the apple cart. The notable omission is Gilchrist- who was pretty savage in the finals- that apart, didn't have a great tournament as he was blowing hot and cold.

Thats a pretty good team.

I was on the fence about the ABD selection but he is pretty much QDKs predecessor...the king of soft runs and capitulated when SA needed him most.

the bowling pretty much picks itself.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Thats a pretty good team.

I was on the fence about the ABD selection but he is pretty much QDKs predecessor...the king of soft runs and capitulated when SA needed him most.

the bowling pretty much picks itself.
True, bowling had to pick itself as they were the main guys therein. ABD vs Sanga was my conundrum, but settled for the former, as Sanga was a quintessential grafter, settles in the middle order by would be out of sorts elsewhere.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
True, bowling had to pick itself as they were the main guys therein. ABD vs Sanga was my conundrum, but settled for the former, as Sanga was a quintessential grafter, settles in the middle order by would be out of sorts elsewhere.

I like the team you went with but surely you can't complain about Sanga being incompatible with the hypothetical role after putting Kallis out of all people at six? :D

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I like the team you went with but surely you can't complain about Sanga being incompatible with the hypothetical role after putting Kallis out of all people at six? :D
I honestly had put down Sanga at 6, but felt it upset the balance. Plus, with Kallis you get the additional bowling option- that's the sole reason he's in :grinning:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
T Dilshan
S Tendulkar
G Gambhir
K Sangakkara :c: :wkb:
Yuvraj
AB de Villiers
S Afridi
T Southee
B Lee
Zaheer
Muralitharan

This one was easy seeing as I had watched most of the games. Highly engrossing! I must say the team of the tournament was basically among Ind, Srl, NZ and Pak. The toss-ups for me were the positions of ABD and Lee, as I had though originally about Misbah and Malinga but then figured the team seems weaker that way. Notable exclusions from this list whom I had considered but didnt include- Strauss, Trott, Tahir, Tharanga and Sehwag.

I stick with Sangakkara as my captain- always felt he was one of the finest to have graced the game without much success at World events. Thala fans might jump on me here, but apart from that 91* there was less contribution of MSD- both as a captain and a batter.

noducksallowed

Club Captain
T Dilshan
S Tendulkar
G Gambhir
K Sangakkara :c: :wkb:
Yuvraj
AB de Villiers
S Afridi
T Southee
B Lee
Zaheer
Muralitharan

This one was easy seeing as I had watched most of the games. Highly engrossing! I must say the team of the tournament was basically among Ind, Srl, NZ and Pak. The toss-ups for me were the positions of ABD and Lee, as I had though originally about Misbah and Malinga but then figured the team seems weaker that way. Notable exclusions from this list whom I had considered but didnt include- Strauss, Trott, Tahir, Tharanga and Sehwag.

I stick with Sangakkara as my captain- always felt he was one of the finest to have graced the game without much success at World events. Thala fans might jump on me here, but apart from that 91* there was less contribution of MSD- both as a captain and a batter.

I'd edge Dhoni as ODI captain but thats a pretty good team!

Users who are viewing this thread