Best Spin Attack?

Ayub 95

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Since i moved to SA, i've been impressed with Botha, he and Van der Merwe work well in tandem. Van der Merwe is like the boet of the partenship, he's the one that gets wickets while Botha just wears the batsmen down just look at his ecomomy rate 4.48 that's great nowadays. While in the West Indies I see nothing going on there strike or no strike :p

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
He's right. Botha's stats don't show how good he is. He's got superb control, good variation and very rarely goes round the park. He creates pressure at one end whilst Van Der Merwe and the other quicks do the damage at the other. He's a key part of the SA line-up and balances their side perfectly. They've got 4 seamers in Steyn, Parnell, Kallis and Morkel and then the 2 spinners + Duminy offer very good spin variation. Sometimes you have to look beyond the stats.

Well for South Africa he might be the solution but in any other country he wouldn't last. Other spinners in international cricket do the same thing as botha, keep one end tight while actually taking wickets in the process.

Since i moved to SA, i've been impressed with Botha, he and Van der Merwe work well in tandem. Van der Merwe is like the boet of the partenship, he's the one that gets wickets while Botha just wears the batsmen down just look at his ecomomy rate 4.48 that's great nowadays. While in the West Indies I see nothing going on there strike or no strike :p

good one Ayub, taking a shot at WI cricket. Anyways WI actually haven't played their best one day spinner because selectors are dumb.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
You're only looking at Botha's career stats as well. He's improved alot in the last few years. In the last 12 months Botha's taken 21 wickets at an average of 30.04, with a strike rate of 42 and an economy of 4.20. If those stats aren't good enough, then you've got ridiculously high standards. Botha's a quality One Day spinner.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
So from your thinking Vettori is a horrible bowler right? Average of 34 in test cricket with the ball. Average of 30 in ODI's. He wouldn't last in any other International side either right? Because there are so many better bowlers available...

Cricket is more than just stats. Players who bat lower down the order won't average much, but that doesn't mean they aren't good players.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
You're only looking at Botha's career stats as well. He's improved alot in the last few years. In the last 12 months Botha's taken 21 wickets at an average of 30.04, with a strike rate of 42 and an economy of 4.20. If those stats aren't good enough, then you've got ridiculously high standards. Botha's a quality One Day spinner.

Botha is a average One Day spinner at best. Quality is stretching it for him.

So from your thinking Vettori is a horrible bowler right? Average of 34 in test cricket with the ball. Average of 30 in ODI's. He wouldn't last in any other International side either right? Because there are so many better bowlers available...

Cricket is more than just stats. Players who bat lower down the order won't average much, but that doesn't mean they aren't good players.

actually Vettori is one of the best ODI spinenrs, don't put words in my mouth.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
All right both have been very identical in the last year. So how is one "one of the best" and the other is complete "garbage"?

Your points contradict your argument.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
How have people forgotten India? Bhajji, Ojha, Mishra with Pathan, Raina, Sharma, Viru and, *sigh*, yes, even UV (:facepalm) make a pretty excellent spin attack. Play any of the two pure spinners with some support from the part-timers and it's pretty strong.

Sri Lanka win it for me though. Murali has been a bit off-form and Mendis was poor today, but a spin trio of Mendis, Murali and Jayasuriya is lethal.

WI could have a pretty good spin attack too, if Nikita Miller played more, alongside Benn with Gayle for support.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
All right both have been very identical in the last year. So how is one "one of the best" and the other is complete "garbage"?

Your points contradict your argument.

yea Vettori had a horrible year last year, but he played 243 ODIs compared to bothas 47 (i think). Vettoris numbers are better all across the board and he has played way more matches.

I guess we can say that Benn is a good One Day spinner. :noway

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
So now Vettori had a horrible year? Wow man, you are hilarious. Your points are more fliped up than Wacko Jacko's face.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
So now Vettori had a horrible year? Wow man, you are hilarious. Your points are more fliped up than Wacko Jacko's face.

Yes he has, Vettori has had to focus on other things as a cricketer. He had to pay more attention to his batting in both forms of the game and he also captains his team in all forms of the game.

Over the last year or so his bowling stats are nowhere near what he has done in his career.

nz0003

International Cricketer
yea Vettori had a horrible year last year, but he played 243 ODIs compared to bothas 47 (i think). Vettoris numbers are better all across the board and he has played way more matches.

I guess we can say that Benn is a good One Day spinner. :noway

Are you serious? last year Vettori averaged 27.94 with the ball at an economy of 3.72. If that's horrible, I would hate to see what good is. But hey you obviously know more than everyone else.

diaskasun

Club Cricketer
Are you serious? last year Vettori averaged 27.94 with the ball at an economy of 3.72. If that's horrible, I would hate to see what good is. But hey you obviously know more than everyone else.

yap vettori have done really well over the last 2 years. he may not win a match single handedly but if NZ wins you'll surelly see vettori gets a wicket or 2

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
He's right. Botha's stats don't show how good he is. He's got superb control, good variation and very rarely goes round the park. He creates pressure at one end whilst Van Der Merwe and the other quicks do the damage at the other. He's a key part of the SA line-up and balances their side perfectly. They've got 4 seamers in Steyn, Parnell, Kallis and Morkel and then the 2 spinners + Duminy offer very good spin variation. Sometimes you have to look beyond the stats.

:laugh Sorry KP but coming from the stats king. You base most of your arguements on stats, heck it's the reason you don't rate Vettori at all in test cricket.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
There are people that use stats more than me. I don't base my arguments purely on stats either. Stats are used to back up an argument. Vettori isn't a particularly good Test bowler, and I've noticed that from watching him, and then the stats back it up. Sure he creates pressure for the other bowlers, but purely creating pressure isn't enough to make him a great Test bowler. I think Vettori's a good bowler, but he's not anywhere near as good a Test bowler as people seem to make out. Superb ODi and T20 bowler, but if a genuinely good, wicket-taking spinner came along, Vettori wouldn't keep his place on his bowling alone.

I'm right about Botha as well, and the stats actually do back me up. He's had a very good last 12 months, he looks a good bowler and he gets wickets. Don't see how anyone can dismiss him as an ODi bowler tbh; not if they've actually watched him anyway.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Botha is very good ODI bowler. But I will still rate Vettori high than him.

Both are way way way better than India's lone spinner Bhajji. Hell even UV is better than Bhajji.

Users who are viewing this thread