PlanetCricket Award Winner
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
BBL Season Review - Hobart Hurricanes
Final position: 6th (6-8)
Top scorer: Tim David (354)
Top wickettaker: Riley Meredith (21)
If the season was a song: The opening theme tune of A Series Of Unfortunate Events (movie)

Tale of the tape - The Hurricanes could have made finals really easily. They needed one more point, and they bottled two against the Strikers, failing to defend 229. Aside from that, much of the blame can be put onto bowling injuries (Joel Paris and Paddy Dooley missed time), as well as the fact that the middle order rarely succeeded (except for Tim David). Had they, this BBL would have been completely different, as the last-over win in Launceston on the final day would have put Hobart into the finals.

Season Reviews:
:ar: Tom Andrews - His bowling was expensive, but he batted well, and was only ever used as a replacement when Paddy Dooley was hurt. C
:os: :bat: Asif Ali - Clearly has the potential to obliterate a bowling attack. But in eight innings, he did it only once. D
:os: :bat: Zak Crawley - The Englishman was part of a top order that generally did work out for Hobart. He played more of an anchor role, but dealt a few lusty blows when needed. B-
:ar: Tim David - By far the Hurricanes' MVP. His offspin, while occasionally blown up, only added to the value his slugging (354 @ 160) had. A
:bwl: Paddy Dooley - Looked like the find of the competition halfway in. Injuries slowed his second half, but he took 19 more wickets than most of us expected A
:bwl: Nathan Ellis - A good season once again for him. He looked like a solid captain when Matt Wade was unavailable, and bowled well at the death again (albeit conceding a few more than last year). B+
:os: :ar: Faheem Ashraf - His season figures were inflated by a horrific showing in his second game; conceding 61 runs in the 229 chase. Otherwise, he was pretty good with the ball. His batting did leave something to be desired. C+
:bat: Caleb Jewell - Struggled at four but looked a new player at the top of the order. One to watch next year given Short's struggled B+
:wkb: Ben McDermott - That 131 S/R might have earned some players a pass. A top-five player last year is not one of those D
:bwl: Riley Meredith - Actually economical, shockingly, but still with the same wicket-taking ability. You don't want anything more than that A
:os: :ar: Jimmy Neesham - Probably not actually used in favourable situations. A 150 strike rate gives anyone a pass though C-
:ar: Mitch Owen - Continues to show he's not ready for this level of cricket D-
:wkb: Tim Paine - Just retire N/A
:bwl: Joel Paris - Struggled with injuries this year, just like last. I think that had an effect on his output, which is what saves him from a fail C-
:bwl: Wil Parker - Also clearly not ready yet, and got jumped in the pecking order by Paddy Dooley. Potentially time to move on D-
:os: :ar: Shadab Khan - The Canes missed his bowling dearly after he left. However, he definitely could have done with batting better (or not at 4), which drags him down a bit B
:ar: D'Arcy Short - F and do I even need to explain?
:wkb: Matt Wade - Underwhelmed compared to his own expectations, like Short and McDermott, but much less so. 26 @ 131 is still very fine B-
:bat: Macalister Wright - A slow 56 on a bad pitch in his only game, which Hobart won by two runs. Can't give him a massively high grade, but credit is deserved by that C+

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Did they get Harper because they have no other domestic keeper?

Bevab

Staff Member
Could be. I remember they've been using guys like Andre Fletcher, Joe Clarke

Yeah it’s been a real spot of bother for them and has limited their overseas recruitment. The last one I remember was Ben Dunk and Gotch.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Dot Ball Darcy to Adelaide!

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
Brook, Rashid gone. as usual the draft proves to be utterly useless.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
BBL starts day after, and there aren't any messages here. Peak BBL

Anyway, here are my best XIs for all teams if they're all full-strength-

:aus: :bat: Caleb Jewell
:aus: :bat: Ben McDermott
:aus: :wkb: Matthew Wade :c:
:eng: :bat: Sam Hain :os:
:usa: :ar: Corey Anderson :os:
:aus: :bat: Tim David
:eng: :bwl: Chris Jordan :os:
:aus: :bwl: Nathan Ellis
:aus: :bwl: Peter Hatzoglou
:aus: :bwl: Riley Meredith
:aus: :bwl: Patrick Dooley

It's a toss up between Peter and Stanlake for one spot in the bowlers, based on conditions. That, if Stanlake decides to actually be available this season unlike the last few.

:aus: :bat: Usman Khawaja
:nzf: :bat: Colin Munro :os:
:aus: :bat: Marnus Labuschagne
:aus: :bat: Matt Renshaw
:eng: :bat: Sam Billings :os:
:aus: :wkb: Jimmy Peirson
:aus: :ar: Jack Wildermuth
:aus: :ar: Michael Neser
:aus: :bwl: Xavier Bartlett
:aus: :bwl: Matthew Kuhnemann
:aus: :bwl: Spencer Johnson

They would do better playing 2 foreigners than 3 tbh, Bartlett and Wildermuth over Paul Walter for me. I didn't pick Swepson cause I only remember that he hasn't been in form at all

:saf: :wkb: Quinton de Kock :os:
:eng: :bat: Joe Clarke :os:
:aus: :bat: Aaron Finch
:aus: :bat: Shaun Marsh
:aus: :bat: Nic Maddinson
:aus: :bat: Jonathan Wells
:aus: :bwl: Tom Rogers
:afg: :bwl: Mujeeb ur Rahman :os:
:aus: :bwl: Kane Richardson
:aus: :bwl: Adam Zampa
:aus: :bwl: Peter Siddle

Honestly feel this side is stacked as I couldn't find a place for JFM, Mackenzie and Sutherland. But I suppose they'd come in for players like Marsh and Siddle later on anyway. Too many good local bowlers I feel, have to bat Rogers at 7.

:aus: :wkb: Josh Philippe
:aus: :bat: Steve Smith
:eng: :bat: James Vince :os:
:aus: :bat: Kurtis Patterson
:aus: :ar: Moises Henriques :c:
:aus: :bat: Jordan Silk
:aus: :ar: Hayden Kerr
:aus: :bwl: Sean Abbott
:eng: :bwl: Tom Curran :os:
:aus: :bwl: Ben Dwarshuis
:aus: :bwl: Steve O'Keefe

I also feel Sixers need just 2 overseas cause their local bowlers are very good. When Smith is no longer available, Hughes can take his spot or they can play an extra bowler.

:aus: :bat: David Warner
:eng: :bat: Alex Hales :os:
:aus: :bat: Jason Sangha
:aus: :bat: Cameron Bancroft
:aus: :wkb: Matthew Gilkes
:aus: :ar: Ollie Davies
:aus: :ar: Daniel Sams
:aus: :ar: Chris Green
:aus: :bwl: Gurinder Sandhu
:aus: :bwl: Tanveer Sangha
:pak: :bwl: Zaman Khan :os:

When Warner's done with his usual 3-4 games of BBL, Bancroft opens and Ross comes in the middle I guess.

:aus: :ar: Matthew Short
:aus: :bat: Travis Head
:aus: :bat: Chris Lynn
:aus: :ar: D'Arcy Short
:eng: :bat: Adam Hose :os:
:aus: :wkb: Alex Carey
:eng: :ar: Jamie Overton :os:
:aus: :bwl: Wes Agar
:aus: :bwl: Cameron Boyce
:aus: :bwl: Henry Thornton
:eng: :bwl: David Payne :os:

Boyce might become crucial with Rashid out of the season. This team has too many openers. Weatherald is on bench as well.

:aus: :bat: Tom Rogers
:aus: :ar: Marcus Stoinis
:aus: :wkb: Sam Harper
:aus: :ar: Glenn Maxwell
:aus: :ar: Beau Webster
:aus: :bat: Hilton Cartwright
:pak: :ar: Imad Wasim :os:
:aus: :bwl: Nathan Coulter-Nile
:pak: :bwl: Haris Rauf :os:
:pak: :bwl: Usama Mir :os:
:aus: :bwl: Scott Boland

They have quite the depth cause Burns, Larkin on bench for the Batters and Steketee for the bowlers, who I feel might come in once Boland leaves for test duties.

:eng: :bat: Stevie Eskinazi :os:
:eng: :bat: Zak Crawley :os:
:aus: :ar: Mitchell Marsh
:aus: :wkb: Josh Inglis
:eng: :bat: Laurie Evans :os:
:aus: :ar: Ashton Turner
:aus: :ar: Aaron Hardie
:aus: :bwl: Ashton Agar
:aus: :bwl: Jhye Richardson
:aus: :bwl: Andrew Tye
:aus: :bwl: Jason Behrendorff

The usual Perth power packed side. Imagine Green signs a contract towards the end of the season. And their bowling is stacked as always.

Users who are viewing this thread