Bit of a rant

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Sorry guys but i can not believe the amount of people on here who have complained about the aggressiveness of the ai in this game. Yes you do get hit all over the park when you first play this game but no personally i dont think that its because the "pacing is all wrong", its because you have yet to learn how to play the game. All these shouts of "it must be patched" by people who have had the game two days is ridiculous.:(
If you want realistic gameplay then learn to bowl properly to build up pressure, and set fields to cut off runs and you will quickly find that economy rates come down dramatically. If you have ever bowled or captained in a real game what would you do if the batting team was scoring quickly? There are many members on here who can point you in the right direction if you can't work it out
There are many flaws in this game but pacing is not one of them, and if you dont agree you can always go back to ea07 and bowl with glee as the computer scores 3 runs from 50 balls, I'd much rather have the challenge of trying to stop runs than how to get the computer to score them any day of the week
Anyway thats my rant over, now back to cricket, hopefully at a runrate of around 3.5:D

I agree but the ai does go into slog mode/shot a ball mode regardless of how you bowl after a while. Once they get fearless that's it. The only way to restrict them is with tight bowling and defensive fields. Even then its still difficult to keep them under 4 an over.

Well I'm with you guys, it's not too hard to get kind of realistic games. I mean it's pretty hard when they slog too keep them under four an over but they always seem to calm down a bit for me.

It does slog and i have been murdered at times, but thats part of the challenge i feel and now i have posted this i'll probably stuggle to keep it under 8 an over in my next game, i just think people are far too quick of the mark to complain, this is a decent game, and i've played all of em, apart from the snes one way back

The thing that I dont like is they come to slogging mode and get them selves out.Yesterday I got newzeland all out for 60 in first inninigs but in 9 overs :doh and 2nd inninigs on 180 in 22 Overs :-s that is the main problem.When you are playing and they get into slogging mode you can also notice some really impossible shots going for sixes, which really kills the mood.

The fact is, the game is fundementally flawed in design, as to prevent slogging it tells you to bowl a monotonous line outside of off stump, instead of encouraging variation. It saps any sort of fun out of the bowling, as you're constantly bowling the same ball over and over, otherwise you get automatically clouted to the boundary.

I realise that you can keep the runrates down by bowling a 'tight line'. Is this like real cricket though? No. Bowl a bouncer not in the light green, and you'll get tonked. Its an annoying and flawed system which needs sorting.

Don't agree with this article at all I am afraid.

The AI in this game is undefendable. Having played plenty of cricket in my life and after watching it for over 20 years I can honestly say that I have never seen a batsman go after some of the shots that this AI can pull off.

No matter where you bowl to restrict runs eventually the AI will concoct some form of ridiculous boundary shot - often defying the laws of physics due to inertia, body position etc.

My particular favourite is when you bowl a short bouncer straight at the batsmans head yet he somehow rocks back and hits it for 6, STRAIGHT back over the bowlers head with a STRAIGHT bat?

Never seen that in a real match and guess what? - Never will!

:doh

Last edited:
Don't agree with this article at all I am afraid.

The AI in this game is undefendable. Having played plenty of cricket in my life and after watching it for over 20 years I can honestly say that I have never seen a batsman go after some of the shots that this AI can pull off.

No matter where you bowl to restrict runs eventually the AI will concoct some form of ridiculous boundary shot - often defying the laws of physics due to inertia, body position etc.

My particular favourite is when you bowl a short bouncer straight at the batsmans head yet he somehow rocks back and hits it for 6, STRAIGHT back over the bowlers head with a STRAIGHT bat?

Never seen that in a real match and guess what? - Never will!

:doh

As I said in my review, the bounce is all messed up.

& adding to the defying of inertia,body position and physics in general...

we can whack a ball spinning down the leg side comfortably through backward point for four !!! :eek: :doh

theres practically no difference playing against or with the spin.
both give similar results.....:noway
never once got beaten playing against the spin.:facepalm

Exactly, that sort of thing is what makes me give up on this game... offline and online - you bowl a good line and length (what would be considered so in real life anyway, but on this it goes about 2 feet over the stumps), which should be difficult to score from, and the batsman plays some sort of stupid, impossible shot (usually across the line) for 4, it happens again and again and again... it makes me go over to my Xbox and slam the power button :mad:.
As pingusten says, the only way you are going to restrict scoring is bowling in that little light green patch outside off, but that's a) boring and b) unrealistic (it's too full).

When I play cricket (havn't done in a couple of years), i'm a fairly decent seamer, I know where to bowl and how much variation to use, yet when you take this sort of ACTUAL cricket knowledge and try to use it in a game which was attempting to be a SIMULATION, it is a 100% failure which will get you no wickets and you'll go at at least 10 an over.

You are spot on. Unless this game is sufficiently patched, it will go down in history as yet another flop.

I"m glad i have stirred up a bit of a debate here, and people have made good points,(didn't expect any less:)) i agree the bounce physics are incorrect and the ai shot selection is phenomenal at times but i think people seem to think that the outside off line is the only line to bowl, but its not and i can bowl stump to stump without too many problems and manage to get dot balls and wickets/chances when i have bowled even into the dark green area's ( perfect balls though) and my prefered length with the quicks is not all full its just short of a length. If the camera was closer in to the pitch i think there would be more room for error but thats for another time.
Someone wrote that they felt that just bowling a tight line wasn't real but i thought that it was one of the fundamentals of being a good bowler.
Try bowling short of a length aim at offstump and just keep edging it slowly forward each ball and im sure you will begin to find that the game isn't just about the yellow areas.It's also important to lower batsmen confidence as this seems to be a major factor between wicket or boundary. Bowling can be monotonous and ive yet to find a game where it hasnt been but the rewards are there ( see gas's thread)
I've yet to play online but the games i have played against mates have been amazing which leads me to this: If you hit a batman repeatedly you seriously deplete his stamina, a good tactic against tailenders as when they come out to bowl they are already knackered
Happy bowling:)

I don't know why people say that bowling outside the offstump and full is the only way of keeping the AI down???it's just the matter of learning the art to bowl in this game and proper field settings and you will be able to keep the run rate down by bowling wicket to wicket as well.

I think someone should make a video showing how they restricted the AI with lower run-rate (around 4) without exploiting..
A few overs should be fine..

Users who are viewing this thread