BL 96 better than BLC 2005

TT Boy

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Just set up my Megadrive and gave BL 96 a go and I have to say it?s a better game than it?s 2005 counterpart.

Reasons why

Control of fielders
Throwing at both ends
Overthrows
Ability to take bowler cursor off
Opposition batsman take singles, like running the ones and two, not just dealing in one boundary every ten overs.
Opposition far more intelligent I.e. actually want to win and playing it with cursor off and on hard is quite rewarding and challenging
Moderately difficult to hit sixes, timing seems far more important.
Career stats, can?t say how important this is but if a game made on the megadrive 9 years ago can have it why not now.
County teams
Better range of classic matches, 1981 Ashes game with Botham, excellent.
Can sweep, not leg glance but ****ing sweep a ball, brilliant fun against a paceman.
Batting with the tail, you can actually bat.
Opposition tail can actually bat, not just swing to the high heavens and miss everything.

There is more but after playing Lara 96 for less than a half an hour I can see more time and effort and care has gone into that game a real cricket lovers game. Not some arcade bull****, where I frequently score 43 ball hundreds on test level but a game which is really rewarding and frankly BLC 2005 should be ashamed of itself when a game made on the megadrive can make it look very ordinary indeed.

Last edited:
BLC 99 is still the best cricket game till date.
Mind you, i havent played the full version of this BLIC yet.

Just a shame BLC 99 doesn?t work on WXP or I'll be playing it right now.

TT Boy said:
Just a shame BLC 99 doesn?t work on WXP or I'll be playing it right now.
Where there's a will, there's a way ;)

True say mate, Blc undoubtedly best cricketing game to date. No boubt the rest dont even come near. The simplicity kills it also it is very fun to play.

Very much so, what made BLC99 great IMO was both batting and bowling were hard, but this was 6 years ago and i was young then so maybe that was just then but even recently having booted up the demo i still found it incredibly hard which made it great!

TT Boy said:
Just set up my Megadrive and gave BL 96 a go and I have to say it?s a better game than it?s 2005 counterpart.

It's interesting to read that. My first impression, upon playing the demo of BLIC 2005, was that the gameplay had not moved on since BLC99.

Perhaps part of the problem is that (I'm sure I read this a few years back) the guys who wrote the original BLC moved over to write for the EA Cricket 2002 game. So, perhaps most of the guys now at Codemasters weren't involved in developing the original BLC and it's really a whole new product and in fact, EA Cricket 2005 is really the descendant of BLC99.

Certainly, I struggle to find why anyone says they like BLIC 2005. They seem to be clinging onto the claim that it is "fun". I only needed to play a single 6-over match on the demo to realsie that it is inanely dull. I persevered with the demo for a few more days but that only highlighted the fact that it's completely lacking in depth from gameplay, tactical and statistical points of view, points backed up by those offering objective opinion on various fora.

It offers so little and lacks so much. It's not cricket...its like some kids playground game, completely lacking in subtlety and relying on crash-bang-wollop...not unlike Codemasters racing games thesedays.

I can't help but feel that the dead-line of getting the game out for the start of the Ashes had a part to play. They would have had to have made sure that they had a basic, working game ready for July, and that's all they've achieved.

To be honest, if they were thinking about releasing a follow-up next year, I'd recommend they rip it up and start again from scratch. The whole philosophy in this game is wrong.

Last edited:
Ive got to agree with you on some parts there sam, for me the game is far too arcadey and from what reviews ive read of posters on here, it seems that the computer AI is very poor, trying to score off every ball in a test match is just not cricket for me and the frequent wicket loss is also poor too.

Id like to hope codemasters could take in this info and try and release something better next time but at this moment id rather play BLC99 with everything updated to modern day times rather than BLC2005.

at least there were few or very minute bugs in BLC 99 ...but there are many in Cricket 2005 and BLC !!!! Shoiab bowls at 103 MPH !!??? hows that possible !!!graphics are poor

I have to agree BLC 99 was the best cricket game. Although I haven't played BLIC, by the looks of it will be a good game not as good as BLC 99.

BLC 99 had amazing batting, not as easy as BLIC but very immersing gameplay. Superb commentary. Much better AI than BLIC, in taking singles and even county level was a lot of fun to play. I thought that BLIC will be better than BLC 99.

Having said all this , I will definitely buy BLIC and I think I will like it much better than cricket 2005.

BL For the ps was the finest cricket game

id still rather play it that all cricket2001-cricket2004

Users who are viewing this thread