Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Next up...

81XuBDUvMaL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

This book is shorter novella, only around 150 pages. Originally written in Japanese.

I felt really emotionally invested in it, the entire book takes place in only one location. By the end of it you feel you know all the characters inside out.

Only criticism, there was a stone left unturned, and one part of the story that wasn't really explored. Still, a well crafted book. 7.5/10.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Only criticism, there was a stone left unturned, and one part of the story that wasn't really explored.
There was a part 2!
71NUnEhwGpL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Even shorter, 120 pages, finished in a day.

I feel like this book introduced so much more to expand into. It's an endless rabbit hole.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I just started reading "Rise and Kill First" by Ronen Bergman.
It’s a history of Israel's clandestine intelligence services' use of targeted assassinations as a weapon of covert warfare. Really interesting.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Moth Smoke book review, brought to you by @CerealKiller: eradicate all cereals.
440777.jpg

Some stories are linear. They have a start, they progress onwards, and eventually, they finish. Sometimes, they start in the end, and go backwards. Other times, in the middle, as you see past and present unfolding simultaneously.

Moth Smoke isn't a straight line. It's a map. You start in the middle, an entire world shrouded in clouds. Slowly, the clouds clear, bringing more and more events to light. The story expands in every direction, all at once. Different perspectives, from first person to third person to even second person POV.

The storyline itself was alright, a man slowly falling into insanity as his life crumbles before him. There are no heroes, everyone is a villain. Some of the stuff isn't what I'd usually read but I don't mind. But it was the Frankenstein of a storytelling method that really kept me reading, brilliant.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Moth Smoke book review, brought to you by @CerealKiller: eradicate all cereals.
View attachment 289145

Some stories are linear. They have a start, they progress onwards, and eventually, they finish. Sometimes, they start in the end, and go backwards. Other times, in the middle, as you see past and present unfolding simultaneously.

Moth Smoke isn't a straight line. It's a map. You start in the middle, an entire world shrouded in clouds. Slowly, the clouds clear, bringing more and more events to light. The story expands in every direction, all at once. Different perspectives, from first person to third person to even second person POV.

The storyline itself was alright, a man slowly falling into insanity as his life crumbles before him. There are no heroes, everyone is a villain. Some of the stuff isn't what I'd usually read but I don't mind. But it was the Frankenstein of a storytelling method that really kept me reading, brilliant.
This is exactly why i wanna write a screenplay for this. The perspective is so unique.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
book update (credit to NMA for the reminder)

beekeeper.jpg lemon trees.jpg

Both are historical fiction about the Syrian civil war. I think I preferred the storytelling of the first one but the second one offers interesting moral dilemmas that I never thought about before

black cake.jpg

bit of family drama. part of the book is set in jamaica in the 50s and 60s, so it was also really interesting to see the culture written about

silent patient.jpg

loved the plot twist on this one. also interesting look into the mind of the psychotherapist, a job which i'd never really thought about how it must be like

shantaram.jpg

It's 1000 pages long, i gave up around halfway through. still a pretty good read from what i read. set in india.

gosh i should be paid to do this

Users who are viewing this thread