PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I finished The Fifth Season, I started it ages ago. I enjoyed it so much (originally) I bought the other two books in the series (The Broken Earth series by NK Jemisin) so I might start the next one.

Unfortunately I forgot most of the world building so I might need to find a catch up of synopsis to remind me what exactly is going on. :D

I'm trying to get back into reading because it's something I enjoy, I just struggle immensely to do things I enjoy.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Been re-reading my favourite book: Blood Meridian (or the Evening Redness in the West).
Judge Holden is my personal favourite antagonist of all time.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Started reading Moth Smoke by Mohsin Hamid. It’s brilliant, and the imagery of Lahore is really making me homesick. Will write a review after finishing it

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Started reading Moth Smoke by Mohsin Hamid. It’s brilliant, and the imagery of Lahore is really making me homesick. Will write a review after finishing it
I honestly wanna write a movie screenplay adaptation, and hope it gets made into a movie, because it deserves one.
The characters are named after the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan's family. Darashikoh (Persian name) is our protagonist, appropriately nicknamed Daru (booze). He was the first-born son of the emperor, and Aurangzeb was his youngest brother. Murad and Shuja were the two middle children. Mumtaz was the emperor's wife, in whose memory he had the Taj Mahal built. Darashikoh was known as a relatively liberal Muslim, who explored the themes of Sufism and Hinduism, and was a patron of the arts. Aurangzeb, in contrast, was a very conservative man. After Shah Jahan's illness debilitated him, there was a civil war between the brothers to claim the throne.
Darashikoh is our protagonist, a middle class, low-level banker in Lahore, struggling to hold onto his ordinary life. Aurangzeb is his childhood best friend, son of a corrupt bureaucrat, educated in the USA, and has enough money to drown in it, thanks to his father. Mumtaz is Aurangzeb's unhappy wife, a true free spirit who somehow ended up marrying a desi man. Murad and Shuja are two side characters, with varying degrees of influence in the story.
Without spoiling the novel, the contrast drawn to Shah Jahan's family is absolutely genius. It is a tale about power, first and foremost, and love, and how the pursuit of these two intoxicants leads to self-destruction.

quickeyg

School Cricketer
Bill Cooper - Behold a Pale Horse
Antony C Sutton
Texe Marrs
Books about the occult and secret society's.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Recently got back into reading and couldn't have picked a better book to start with than

9780141347400.jpg

I love this kind of multi-perspectice storytelling method, book is very well crafted even though one of the 4 main character arcs was a bit too flat for my liking.

9/10 would recommend

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Recently got back into reading and couldn't have picked a better book to start with than

View attachment 288696

I love this kind of multi-perspectice storytelling method, book is very well crafted even though one of the 4 main character arcs was a bit too flat for my liking.

9/10 would recommend
What’s it about?

Users who are viewing this thread