Bowling Help

shawnymike88

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Just a quick question about leg spin bowling...in my little endeavour into playing cricket (i use the term loosely, its really not that close), ive been trying to use leg spin bowling as my main source of attack. We play with wiffle balls (american made) so i know its not that realistic, but you can get decent turn off of a carpeted floor, such as the one in my church's gym where we play. My trouble is that when I first started, I could get a ton of turn using a standard leg break, but i could never get a googly to turn. Now, its the other way around, my leg break is just a topspinner, and my googly turns a bunch. So, is there anything im doing wrong with my mechanics? Obviously its mpossible to tell without being there in person, but if anybody would have ideas about a possible problem, I'd appreciate the help!

there might be a problem with your arm mechanics and action as well.
while you bowl googly you twist your palm a bit to get the turn.
One thing i must say while bowling googly i have fingers facing the batsmen more but when i bowl leg break, i have the ball mostly facing the batsman.

Used to happen to me. Usually occurs when I try to spin the ball too much or push it faster, y'know. The trick is to try and bowl slow...

If you've got the grip and the basic turn, it can be down to wrist position. Just as a sort of test, try to bowl a leg break with a more round armed action and try the googly with your hand as high as you can get it. If this works and you get the turn you're after, then it's due to wrist position, so you'd need to work on moving your wrist when you bowl, rather than your arm, which you'd be doing in this example.

Let us know how it goes.

I had the same problem but because i bowl pace i really didnt care lol

Yeah I'll get to try it out tomorrow night...thanks for the tips..I'll keep you guys in the loop....most of the time now, if people get accustomed to my spin..I'll back up the whole way and charge in with a few quick ones..they seem to work...but even then I have trouble with picking lines. One of the guys I play with really got me last week with an absolutely textbook inswing yorker....I did'nt even see it get past me..all I saw was it leave his hand...then I heard the stumps fall...a terrible feeling, but all I could do was walk off the court. I'll try the new stuff, and hopefully this time my leg spin will come back..if not...looks like I'm back to being a pace bowler again.

EDIT: Now that I think about it..I haven't really been slowing my action down at all, I've mostly been concerned with trying to just rip the ball sideways as hard as I could out of my hand instead of letting all of the other stuff work out. I know I'm no Shane Warne, (but who is really), but looks like I've got more stuff to try! Update coming tomorrow at 8:00PM-ish!

Last edited:
Well...the tips did work, but I can't get my consistency up much at all. I used to get leg breaks constantly for 4 or 5 deliveries in a row. Now, at least for last night, I could do them only like 1-2 times an over, but I guess its better to mix it up. But, I do think that the fact that the "cricket balls" we use are smooth, with no seam, (which I'm guessing would help a lot) makes a huge diference, they swing a ton, but only break somewhat. Also, I'm thinking of getting one of those backyard/beach cricket sets to use, so we at least have legit equipment!

Also, I had a wierd delivery last night, I set up for a leg break, bowled, and I got a really strong googly from a standard leg break wrist position...how does that happen?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread