Bowling in Test Matches

• Thread starter Deleted member 9102
  • Start date
I've played a few ODI's. Bowled India out for 156 on a good batting pitch, saved and then tried to chase. My first attempt I was bowled out for 98, second attempt for 118. This is like a classic match for me now, I desperately want to win it; the bowlers are just a bit too good sometimes...

Here's the end of the Test 1st innings I was playing. I do tend to find that get one or two and the rest seem to collapse. Aus went from 250/4 to 265 ao!
I'll be fixing this partially by improving the batting stats of the tailenders in my roster. Really satisfying the Hayden and Clarke wickets though. They both came after a spell where I dried up the runs and bowled really fast. They're confidence was down as well because they were approaching landmarks. I actually got Clarke the ball after he finally made it to 50.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 86
I'm locked in a classic struggle with India at the moment. I drew my first match at Lord's due to a lot of rain which washed out most of the 2nd and 3rd days. Desperately trying to go 1-0 up at Edgbaston, but it's finely balanced.

I bowled India out for 345 in the end. They were 255/3 and I was getting really frustrated, but then Dravid and Ganguly went in quick succession and India never got a proper partnership going after that (Hoggard 6-52). I managed to make 513 for a lead of 168 (G. Jones 178, Giles 66*) and I had India at 44/3 (Harmison 2-12) but then I couldn't get either Laxman or Tendulkar out and they've gone on to 135/3. I'm hoping I can find something that works as it's already the 4th day and my only chance of victory is to knock them over in time for a chase of a small lead on the 5th day.

When I was playing England the other day I got about 300 in the first innnings.
Then when I bowled, it took ages and ages for me to get them out but I finally got them all out for about 390.
Second innings I got 200 just slogging (because it was the fourth day). So I was expecting a tight struggle for a win by both teams, what do I get? A batting collapse of epic proportions. England all out for 114.
What a match, it's matches like those that make me love BLIC.

Well I finished my match against India. I bowled them all out for 227 in the 2nd innings leaving a target of 54 to win in fading light on the final day (Flintoff 6-44). Trescothick and Strauss smacked it around, leaving 19 to win after only 3 overs and then all of a sudden.....the game ends in a draw!

I was a bit fed up (one thing I really don't like in BLIC is not knowing how much longer you have in a session - you had the time popping up in C2k4), so I reloaded and to my surprise this time I was able to bat beyond 3 overs and won the game after 4.4 overs! Strange how the point at which the match ends is totally random (??).

The end of match summary rightly said England won by 10 wickets, but the summary in "Fixtures" on my World Tour menu says England won by 1 run. A shame there are these little peculiarties in what is otherwise an amazing cricket game.

Btw - can someone tell me how to take a screenshot? Which directory do they end up in?

barmyarmy said:
I'll be fixing this partially by improving the batting stats of the tailenders in my roster. .
I got 24no with McGrath on test level. (vs Southern Hemisphere XI)

So it is possible to get decent scores with your tailenders

Stevo I think he wants to make the oppositions tailenders better so they are harder to get out and maybe add a few runs, possibly even wag once or twice ;)

puddleduck said:
Stevo I think he wants to make the oppositions tailenders better so they are harder to get out and maybe add a few runs, possibly even wag once or twice ;)
Ah, i see...

yeh i agree, because once you get down to the last 4 you just simply bowl at the stumps...

puddleduck said:

Yeah, I do indeed. As you can see from the scorecard I posted, it's far too easy to take the last 5 wickets for next to nothing even on test level.

I still find bowling really hard in the game, I've been playing test matches against Australia with England on county level.

I usually manage to get Langer out fairly easily for under 30 or so, usually bowl him withn late swing.

Hayden though is a big problem, I got him out on 99 in the end because his confidence meter was down I guess. Kept bowling away swingers and then got him with the in swinger.

I can't seem to get Ponting out, he made 130 odd and then I bowled a full toss with Ashley Giles and it bowled him lol!

Martyn and Clarke fell fairly easily in terms of low runs but batted for ages, I finally got both of them with the 'trademark Giles doosra'. I'm surprised he didn't use his doosra in the ashes...... can't imagine why?? ;)

Left handers seem to be annoying, Katich and Gilchrist seem quite hard to get out, eventually just kept bowling with Giles here there and everywhere because no plan seemed to work and Katich put one up to a fielder. Harmison then tore apart Warne, Lee, Gillespie and McGrath in one over.

So I think that in some ways it's to hard to get some batsmen out but then on the other hand it's quite realisitc. It's not as though I can't get them out, it's just annoying because you need a lot of patience. Hence me never completing a proper test series yet. Tailenders need to be improved as well. Basically you only need to take 6 wickets and then they won't score anymore.

So anyways they made about 320 off about 95 overs. I then batted and made 750 odd in about 45 overs!! Giles hit a 20 ball hundred and Hoggard top scored with 140!!

Batting seems pretty easy, even on county mode. I tried test mode but it just seemed to hard to get people out.

I then bowled again and after about 120 overs all the batsmen hit similiar kinds of scores although Hayden got his hundred this time. I got them out for about 400 though and won by an innings.

One thing that I think is good about this game is there does not seem to be a ball that gets everyone out. Like some cricket games such as Cricket 2005 you could bowl with a medium pacer, bowl a bouncer but only a slower ball as slow as you can and it would york them every time. One of the Brian Lara games for the mega drive you could edit players and make their bowling skills really bad, they would end up bowling a donkey dropper right up in the air out the screen and it would come down on top of the stumps lol.

So I think this is a good thing because if you know a certain way to get batsmen out it's so hard not to use it if they start smacking you around the park! Although Giles legendary doosra is pretty tricky, not to mention his 70mph quicker ball. Completley realistic of course ;)

I've been playing test level and I really like the bowling but struggle with the batting. In the first test in the series (rain affected) I had Flintoff on 49 and then it started raining and that was it for the match! That's the nearest I've been to a 50 or 100 on test level.

I've progressed from village to county to test, and I still think that the batting doesn't differ in difficulty much from village to county.
The bowling, however, does, and I still think it's harder to bowl a side out in a test match on the county level, than at the test level.
Batting, however, is a stinker on test level. Especially when the fast bowlers bowl a lot of slower balls, keeping it challenging.

Users who are viewing this thread