Bradman was an admirer of Murali

djkay

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Charlie Austin

December 7, 2004

Muttiah Muralitharan is internally programmed to be suspicious of former Australian cricketers (and politicians for that matter), many of whom have doubted the legality of his action over the years, but the greatest of them all, the late Sir Donald Bradman, appears to have been one of his fondest admirers.

In a book entitled Chuckers, a history of throwing in Australian cricket compiled and written by Bernard Whimpress, conversations with Tom Thompson between 1995 and 1998 reveal that Bradman believed Murali's action to be clean and his ordeal unfair. Bradman praised his remarkable discipline as a bowler, and his composure under the chucking cloud.

"Murali, for me, shows perhaps the highest discipline of any spin bowler since the war," Bradman said. "He holds all the guile of the trade, but something else too. His slight stature masked a prodigious talent, and what a boon he has been for cricket's development on the subcontinent."

Bradman went on to object to Murali being no-balled during the Boxing Day Test of 1995: "It is with this in mind, and with the game's need to engage as a world sport, that I found umpire Darrell Hair's calling of Murali so distasteful. It was technically impossible of umpire Hair to call Murali from the bowler's end. Why was his eye not on the foot-fall and crease?

"I believe Hair's action - in one over - took the development of world cricket back by ten years. For me, this was the worst example of umpiring that I have witnessed, and against everything the game stands for. Clearly Murali does not throw the ball. No effort in that direction is made or implied by him. His every effort is to direct the ball unto the batsman. Murali wants to bamboozle, to trick through flight and change of pace.

"That through his ordeal he has remained both composed and modest rings further truth in his favour. His is the stuff of our greatest slow bowlers, and for me is one, like O'Reilly, Warne or Trumble; who are game-breakers. They detect and then imagine the batsman's weakness, perhaps in an over or two. What a weapon for any captain: to have the discipline to contain and bamboozle."

Lets be real. These Bradman quotes were taken from 95-96.

A lot has happened since then. Muruli's been called for chucking several times since then, and his doosra was found guilty a couple of months ago.

groobz said:
Lets be real.
exactly...and the reality as it stands now is that Murali is cleared of all that crap and is now allowed to bowl Dusra too...

sachinisgod said:
exactly...and the reality as it stands now is that Murali is cleared of all that crap and is now allowed to bowl Dusra too...

Reality is, he's been cleared to bowel the doorsra once he was found guilty, and the rules changed. Doesn't change the fact that he was a chucker up until the rule change.

It also doesn't change that fact that all other Australian Bowlers also was found guilty of chucking, but never had any problems with the umpires.

No australian bowler has been found guilty of chucking. Your refering to an allegation made that 99% of bowlers chuck the ball. No individual aussie was bought under scrutiny because our actions are clean.

no individual aussie was brought under scrutiny because it did not seem that their actions were faulty. scientific evidence showed that their actions were faulty. this does not make their actions clean but shows that perception is a faulty way of knowing

sohummisra said:
no individual aussie was brought under scrutiny because it did not seem that their actions were faulty. scientific evidence showed that their actions were faulty. this does not make their actions clean but shows that perception is a faulty way of knowing

Well Said!

Their actions don't look faulty because with the naked eye it's imposible to see any flexation less than say 14-15%. Many fast bowlers arms bend because of hyperextention in the elbow which cannot be helped. Spin bowlers on the other hand have no excuse. Even though Muruli has tried several times in the past to blaim his action on a fault in his shoulder or elbow, the excuse doesn't cut it for me.

So what if some fast bowlers were hyperflexing over the legal % limit?, it can't be helped when your bowling at such a pace it's natual for your elbow to bend slightly. It as to do with intent.

groobz said:
Their actions don't look faulty because with the naked eye it's imposible to see any flexation less than say 14-15%. Many fast bowlers arms bend because of hyperextention in the elbow which cannot be helped. Spin bowlers on the other hand have no excuse. Even though Muruli has tried several times in the past to blaim his action on a fault in his shoulder or elbow, the excuse doesn't cut it for me.

So what if some fast bowlers were hyperflexing over the legal % limit?, it can't be helped when your bowling at such a pace it's natual for your elbow to bend slightly. It as to do with intent.

The point is they also chucks, because the laws are flawed. I don't care if you are standing on head and still says they don't cause you can't see it with the naked eye.

Hondo are you Zimbabwean?Or which team do you support?

Well, firstly an honest question: are you just making up stuff or have you read this from somewhere reliable? Or are you just speaking from experience. I can honestly say that I do not have the ability to make out the difference between 14-15 degrees and 12-13 degrees. Is there just a limit after which we can make out a difference? I think not. I think instead there is actually a range.

I believe (and I will look for justification if possible) that Muralitharan's arm speed is quite fast. Perhaps even as fast or faster than pace bowlers. The flexing of the arm, it seems, depends on the speed at which the arm rotates, because that is where the force for the delivery is coming from. This force is used by fast bowlers to add pace to the delivery and by spin bowlers to rotate or flight the ball. Or so I suppose. Going by this, Muralitharan is definitely permitted to bowl at higher angles than the previous ICC stipulated limits. That is of course if you believe what I said (which you don't).

Ending on a probably fantasy note, did the ICC have a hidden agenda? Why the discrimination between fast bowlers and spin bowlers then? Shouldn't each bowler be allowed an equal opportunity to dismiss the batsmen, if one goes by the fact that it is the flexing degree that helps bowlers get wicket and not their experience, guile or determination? Did the ICC perhaps have a hidden agenda? All interesting questions.

the starter of this thread was a clever fellow...he started it and vanished to allow us all to debate what is going to be debated as long as Wisden keep their records...:)

its a futile debate...coz I for one will never agree that Murali bends his arm deliberately(of course I have been fortunate enough to see him bowl in a plaster cast...the program was broadcast in Asia only)...but then for every me there will be you who will swear to it that they heard him admit it...so what's the point in it...when a man as respected and loved as the Don himself says Murali's ok...he is ok with or without this new rule...oh may be his Dusra isn't coz Don didn't see that did he?

True. This topic has been up for debate every few weeks on this forum as some new sort of revealing information is released. Then everyone starts quarreling and getting technical :P. Its usually an Asia-ROW divide. Good to see Asians sticking together, eh? Yeah, whatever.

It's not just an Asia v ROW divide.

In my time contributing to cricket forums on the internet, I've been a staunch defender of Murali's action, and I'm English.

Also, someone I used to work with was Asian and never thought Murali's action was legitimate.

Users who are viewing this thread