Breaking News- Brian Charles Lara Retires

This is a very sad day for Cricket. I'll miss watching him heaps! Such an amazing player and part of the game. One of the best batsmen ever without doubt. It's a shame it had to end for him on such a low note.

Wouldn't feel right if he returned now as you think you have said your Good byes to the Great man only to see him comeback. Would be like Warne coming to the Aus test team then needing another farewell. He still deserved one last Test match to send him off.

yea but when you think about it where better to do it than at home. people love him in the caribbean and when you think about the west indies struggle in tests maybe he didn't want to take a chance on a possible beating at the hands of the english being his last test.

but its been a pleasure watching him play cricket, poetry in motion when he plays one of hes cover drives. he will be missed but hopefully he can play a hand in the revival of the west indies cricket in the future.

The best batsman I have ever watched in the 90's and in the early 2000's. The 'prince' has sadly left the game but has left a great legacy on the game. Lara and Tendulkar were 2 powerhouses of the game in the past decade but Lara wins in terms of consistency, flair, concentration, strokeplay and attitude. I predicted this will occur last year, after the 07 WC we will witness several great players to retire and really there aren't too many remaining apart from Tendulkar, Murali and Lara. Sad day for cricket all round and in particular WI cricket. Although now is the time that they realise that Lara saving them game after game is over and the youngsters need to deliver to save WI cricket.

I pay my tributes to a player whom I have admired all along the time that I have watched him play... Also on a personal note, I share my birthday with him (May 2).

Anyways, he is worthy of being classified as a legend. The style that he brings to his batting is a treat to watch. India is fortunate not to have seen the murderous best of Lara.

Was a great batsman. Not the best, but he accomplished great things. Hope he bats himself at number 3 in his last game.
kodos said:
The best batsman I have ever watched in the 90's and in the early 2000's. The 'prince' has sadly left the game but has left a great legacy on the game. Lara and Tendulkar were 2 powerhouses of the game in the past decade but Lara wins in terms of consistency, flair, concentration, strokeplay and attitude. I predicted this will occur last year, after the 07 WC we will witness several great players to retire and really there aren't too many remaining apart from Tendulkar, Murali and Lara. Sad day for cricket all round and in particular WI cricket. Although now is the time that they realise that Lara saving them game after game is over and the youngsters need to deliver to save WI cricket.
Sorry but with all due respect to man, if anything lacked in his game. It was consistency.

Dare said:
yea but when you think about it where better to do it than at home. people love him in the caribbean and when you think about the west indies struggle in tests maybe he didn't want to take a chance on a possible beating at the hands of the english being his last test.

but its been a pleasure watching him play cricket, poetry in motion when he plays one of hes cover drives. he will be missed but hopefully he can play a hand in the revival of the west indies cricket in the future.

Yea true I guess, at least the public do get to say good bye to him with the Windies last game. Hopefully he bats at 3 so that he can get the 100.

I remember feeling upset that the ODI between West Indies and England at Lords was washed out in 2000, because I was there and really wanted to see Lara bat in the flesh. I finally saw him at the Champions Trophy Final in 2004, and he was exciting to watch. Even though he didn't score too many runs, his movement at the crease and shots were superb.

I feel torn about Saturday though, as I really wanted England to win as a mark of thanks for Fletcher, now though I also want West Indies to win and Lara to get a big score, they both deserve it...

wfdu_ben91 said:
Was a great batsman. Not the best, but he accomplished great things. Hope he bats himself at number 3 in his last game.

Sorry but with all due respect to man, if anything lacked in his game. It was consistency.

A man with an average above 50 throughout his whole career and batting in a team where other batsman's fail to average above 40 and you don't call that consistent? What's even more amazing is that he only has 6 not outs throughout his whole career which makes his average even more amazing.

It's been coming you have to say. He's an absolute legend though, I still remember sitting through the Antigua Test in 2004 watching every run he scored during that 400 against us. I wasn't fortunate enough to see his 375 live, but his 400 was remarkably similar to it judging by the highlights.

kodos said:
A man with an average above 50 throughout his whole career and batting in a team where other batsman's fail to average above 40 and you don't call that consistent? What's even more amazing is that he only has 6 not outs throughout his whole career which makes his average even more amazing.
Well you can have a high average without consistant scores can't you? When he made centuries, he made big centuries. As in double, triple & quadriple hundreds. I'm not saying his overally inconsistant but he wasn't as consistant as Tendulkar was.

Last edited:
Thanks to God that he kept me alive and I was able to live through Lara's glorious era,never to forget that glorious 209 infornt of me at the Beasejour Cricket Ground vs Sri Lanka in 2003. There weill never be another Lara, nor another Sachin, Nor Warney, Murali, Ricky, Glen. We must thank God for such great men ever to grace the game by their sheer brilliance! The Prince of Port of Spain now leaves, it can be ideal timing, but I have a hutch that he will retire fully in a test series down here in the C'bean, Im hoping!! :D

This is very sad news for cricket. I haven't seen Lara play so i was looking forward to seeing him play at old trafford this year! I felt he could have kept going in the test arena and this is a real shock.Very sad news

Users who are viewing this thread