Bringing through youth bowlers

Dondogz

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
As the title says. When you sign a young youth prospect, how do you introduce them into your team and nurture them for the future?

This can apply to any version. I was playing 06. I signed a young fast bowler. Second team average of 22 and only being a few seasons in he is already in my default squad.

I've tried different approaches in many other save files. I can bowl the player as any normal pace bowler, or in the case ion one superstar I would rely on my other bowlers and only bowl him against the opposition tail for the first season or two of his career. This seems to keep the average down and turned out top be my best ever bowler. This may have well been luck he was so good.

Youth bowlers always seem to get whacked and average WELL above there second team averages.

Discuss.

6ry4nj

International Coach
My approach is:
1. Get him in form, then play him. If he stays in form, keep playing him.
2. If he gets out of form, put him in Seconds with all the other out of form players, until he gets back in form.
3. Naturally, give him as much technique training as you can spare. Personally I prioritize useful young players in allocating technique training ("from each according to his abilities, to each according to his POSSibilities" - Solzhenitsyn), but if your emphasis is on bringing this bloke on, by all means prioritize him.

Oversimplified? Probably. I just don't know what else I can say about it.

Dondogz

Club Cricketer
With technique, I seem to always put it on the youngest guys. Even if they may well be significantly poorer. Once a player hits 26 I will remove it for nets if i don't have any young guys to put it on.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
hmmm, regen bowlers are naturally lower abilities (In an English team in 2012, they had 6 regen batsman out of 7 with Alastair Cook the only regen and then they had Swann, Anderson, Broad and Onions playing) so regens are likely not to be as highly rated as the better bowlers unlike batsman who are very likely to be better than the current Internationals.

6ry4nj

International Coach
I've seen it said officially that GENERAL technique training stops working at 27. However iirc in ICC06 you only have general training. Under those circumstances, I would presume (could be wrong) that it keeps working. Bound to work a lot slower though.

As I said, my first priority with training is people (young ones naturally) I actually use. No use training someone up and then letting them go after the season.

Dondogz

Club Cricketer
It's more the hope that they may somehow get really good over the season.:p

Edit: And the use of fringe players to fill in for injuries and NAT Selection. An example would be me training Sean Ervine as a spare batsmen. Mainly used when KP is playing for England.
Would rather play someone who can actually bat then some random kid who can't.

Last edited:

Dondogz

Club Cricketer
Double post.

Unrelated to the previous. I am questioning whether the default team at the start of the season plays my best players?

I had a youth bowler who I managed to get an average of 19 in FC. He was not selected in my Default team the next year as I had another young youth come through. One year on he is the default opening bowler. He played in some 20/20 games averaging under 10 but otherwise just played 2nds. England Selected and contracted him.

How has he gotten so good?

6ry4nj

International Coach
I don't know anything about default teams. I would assume that the computer picks the best-rated players allowing for form and their aptitude for the format (FC/OD/T20), by which I mean relevant averages and batting aggression/strike rate. Same as how it picks your domestic team when you've got a domestic-international save and are busy with internationals. Same as how it picks teams for your opponents and everyone else in the sim.

IF (big if) that's the case, I will state confidently that the AI sometimes makes mistakes, and doesn't always pick the strongest team selectable for any given encounter.

Or default teams could be picked some other way entirely. I've made idiosyncratic county selections in the past, then gone away to look after England, and the AI has kept my selections, even though it hadn't picked them in the past. As I said up front, in Manuel from Barcelona's immortal words, I know nothing.

The only other thing I will say, if the bowler's got a first-class average of 19, I don't understand how anything short of a broken leg could keep him out of the FC team. I'm pretty sure I would pick him even on zero form.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Default teams are selected completely irrespective of averages. It's based completely on their rating.

Dondogz

Club Cricketer
Default teams are selected completely irrespective of averages. It's based completely on their rating.

This brings in the question how too maximize a youth potential to give them the best rating? Is it training alone?

Example two youth players are my opening bowlers. They are trained with Tech training all year.
My two 30 year old bowlers play 2nds all year. The next year my 30 year olds are in the default team instead of the two youths I have tried to train.

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!:noway

dmac

School Cricketer
im confused about training youth players, sometimes u get the guns who don't need it, other times you get some and i technique train them and they seem to get worse not better. What are you guys opinion on tech training those young players already in the game who aren't regens, have you had much success.

Dondogz

Club Cricketer
I find tech training players like Munday and Rashid (06 version) and playing in slowly can create absolute guns of bowlers. Rushing them into the team can stunt there talent though. This isn't a conclusive study, mere observations. This goes for a lot of bowlers.

Batsmen are another case IMO.

dmac

School Cricketer
by bringing them in slowly do you mean untill they start gaining some form in the 2nd team, or just playing them in a few games here and there

6ry4nj

International Coach
im confused about training youth players, sometimes u get the guns who don't need it, other times you get some and i technique train them and they seem to get worse not better. What are you guys opinion on tech training those young players already in the game who aren't regens, have you had much success.

What's the opposite of wishful thinking:p? General tech training, and accuracy training for bowlers, always improve players under 27. They never make them worse (at any age).

As I may've said before, I prioritize players for tech training based on how useful they are.

If you've got youngsters who're already good enough (eg. first team regulars) in all forms of the game, they should still get tech training when you've got some spare eg. on the day of a limited-overs match. If they're anything short of this (eg. not always in your first-choice squad, or specialize in one or two forms) but still hard to drop, they should be top priority for tech training.

Sureshot

Executive member
Playing them is also important in their progress from my experience, of course, you cannot polish a turd, but experience counts for a lot.

Blooding in an offie all-rounder at the moment. He's doing okay, he's a part of a duel-spin attack (monty being the other), which helps as he doesn't end up bowling huge overs. His first month in the side, and he's taken a 5-for in both FC and OD. I'm focusing on his batting though, as my batting line up is so weak, mostly because Prior lost his England contract and I wanted to keep him, but at 50k, it's a lot.

Looking at improving central contracts next year anyway, as the rules aren't quite right atm. I also think money is a bit too tight in 2010.

Users who are viewing this thread