James Pattinson
Ricky Ponting
Peter Siddle
Steven Smith
Shane Watson
Cameron White

IN: Cummins, Doherty, Hastings, David Hussey, Khawaja, Krejza, Pattinson
OUT: Hopes, Katich, McDonald, McKay, North, Tait, Voges

Some decent players must make way for fresh faces, but most are middle or top aged and their potential to make good on any decency they might have varies. With Cummins, Pattinson and Khawaja, it hints at something of a youth policy, however players like Doherty, Krejza and Hussey are very much sideways trades.

One wonders whether the discarded players are deprived by the process of anointing spinners and not confidently discarding any. It seems awfully superfluous to award a contract to each of Hauritz, Krejza and Doherty, while Beer may well be the one who plays the next Test.

Now for the real issues: what you all came to see. Useless stats.

The mean age of this contract list is 27.88, the median age is 28 and the standard deviation is 4.52. This is a small decrease in the average age, but an increase in std dev from last year, while the median age remains the same.

40% of the list are NSW players, while Victorians and Tasmanians make up 20% each, all three states improving their numbers from last year. Of the losers, WA take the biggest hit, losing two players, while Qld and SA have each been halved to one representative.

This list has 558 Test matches worth of experience; 22.32 per player. However, the median is 5.

Finally; if this is truly the end of the Krab, then good night sweet prince, you were the toughest and hairiest among us.

More...

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I find it interesting and annoying that the spinners they gave the contracts to are Hauritz, Doherty and Krezja, when imo O'Keefe should have gained one.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
O'Keefe should have got a contract before Cummins, given what has happened to fellow NSW quicks I wouldn't want to be rushing him. Not officially the end for Katich until the next test squad is picked.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Madness not give Katman a contract for 1 more year, even if they still pick him tests & or had an ambition to have a new opening partner with Watto. Since i personally always felt Katman should move down the order in the upcoming tests vs SRI & SA.

Hauritz doesn't deserve a contract. While having 3 spinners contracted when AUS have a spin bowling problem is useless. I personally would not have contracted any spinner given none of them have established themselves in any format, although i strongly believe Krejza is the best option for tests. Those 3 spinners spot could have been taken by Katich, Starc & Warner/George/Wade.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
So Phillip Hughes gets another chance eh? Yea , he's a very good talent but he just hasn't clicked well at the international stage . Tbh , he was England's 12th man in both the Ashes series . And very sad to see Katich miss out on a contract , that guy was a pure workhorse , very consistent with the bat and reliable enough with the ball . Cummins is a bright prospect to watch out though I feel Starc deserved that spot better . Ohh and no contract for Mckay? Injuries cost his place i would say , I'm a big fan of him...

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Didn't realise I'd spent so long away from the boards, feel a bit bad... - IPL really burned me out :( When in doubt blame the BCCI :D

Anyhoo...Interesting list and my initial take is:
1) Katich? It's probably time to move on. I can't see too much future in keeping 3 35+ year old batsmen from a soundly beaten Ashes team. Sure, Katich still has something left so it's a little harsh, but I think I would have made the same call. Why Kato? Well, Ponting and Hussey play ODIs as well, and Ponting deserves one more year to show if he's got anything left as he's been one of Australia's greatest players, while Hussey had a great summer. Whoever is in the worse form of Ponting/Hussey after this summer should be dropped too.
2) Cummins? Wow, 3 FC games and he's in?? I don't like it. I'd rather Copeland have gotten the contract as he's had 2 really good Shield seasons in a row - Cummins hasn't done enough to deserve a national contract IMHO. It doesn't send a good message to up and coming players. Right now performance in domestic cricket (and particularly CONSISTENCY in performance) doesn't mean much compared to the ability to hit 140kph. Pattinson is a similar story and I wouldn't have complained if he didn't get a contract either. Right now Cummins should be being told to develop his fitness and his skills - not to start counting his money...
3) Krejza? 3 spinners contracted? Ummm, not what I would have done... Krejza looked pretty ordinary in the World Cup in conditions where he should have been effective, and since he was dropped in 2008 he has done very little for Tassie. So why is he getting a contract for that? That 12 wicket Test is looking more and more like one of the biggest flukes ever... With that said, he HAS got some skills but he is nowhere near a national level bowler IMHO. I still like Hauritz personally...anyway, it will be interesting to see what Michael Clarke thinks of his spinning options.

If I were making the list I'd remove Cummins and Krejza and pick Hopes and Copeland (perhaps Pattinson could be replaced too with McKay who I think would be a good ODI option - at least). Why Hopes? Well he's been worked out a bit in the shorter formats, but for me he's a dark horse for a Test spot. He played really well last Shield season and if Australia want to play more bowlers, then they could do a lot worse than James Hopes at #7. I think he'd be much better value there than Steve Smith as he could be that bowler who could tie up an end and bowl some maidens. At the very least I think he deserves a contract - it sends a good message that domestic performances count.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Cummins and Pattinson were not needed and Krejza in?:eek:

Marcus North deserves a lot and should be there. The same is with Hopes, McDonald and McKay. Anyway I hope that the Aussies reclaim the Ashes with this squad.

timchrist984

Club Captain
No Katich? What a disgrace! What has he done wrong? He's been the most consistent Aussie batsmen in the last few years. He's fought back from when he was dropped early in his career to make it back in to the Aussie team. Heck! He's even moved to NSW! What more could CA want? If he he isn't opening in the Sri Lankan tour I'll consider supporting England.

Krejza-a spud. (No more to be said)

40% New South Welsh- Typical of CA, a disgrace!

My take on list:
Doug Bollinger-Brilliant bowler on his day
Michael Clarke-Good batsmen, not sure about him as a captain
Patrick Cummins-Perform at First-class level, come back later
Xavier Doherty-Not quite up to test level
Callum Ferguson-Solid middle order batsmen, should be played in tests
Brad Haddin-Should play in the same team as Paine
Ryan Harris-Needs to stay fit
John Hastings-Relies a lot on variation
Nathan Hauritz-Should be persisted with
Ben Hilfenhaus-Good in the right conditions
Phillip Hughes-A spud
David Hussey-Brilliant ODI and t20 batsmen
Michael Hussey-Best batsmen in Aus
Mitchell Johnson-Should work on his consistency
Usman Khawaja-Unproven, one for the future
Jason Krejza-Should prove himself at domestic level
Brett Lee-Should try to maintain his pace for at least one more year
Shaun Marsh-Gun, watch his innings against England in Hobart
Tim Paine-Best wicket keeper in Australia
James Pattinson-Should show Victorians they have a chance to play for Australia
Ricky Ponting-Should stay at number 3
Peter Siddle-Should lead the bowling attack, best quick in Australia
Steven Smith-Should work on his first class batting before batting 6 for Aus
Shane Watson-Should be captain
Cameron White-Should be told to start slogging, it's what he does best

Bottom line: CA should actually award the contracts from domestic form!

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Krejza over Beer, picked their test spinner for SL? Majorly surprised Katich missed out, would've liked to have seen O'Keefe in there (over Krejza).

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The concept of earning a contract is easily overplayed. Performance is a way of measuring established players, but if it's all about aggregates, then you will only ever contract older players with no upside. It's still important for younger players to get a look in, as they are the ones who will benefit the most from it.

I'm not sure what's on the new MOU but in the sense that a contracted player is in a way permanently 'on tour', I like the idea of just grabbing the best rookies and contracting them. For Cummins it means no beating around the bush. It's not really a good thing to be surprised when it turns out that teenager who can bowl 90 mph is actually good, so why let it come to that?

It's sensible that he's working for them now and his development is to be tailored for Australia's purpose; not the IPL's or the BBL's or any distractions like that. It's not necessarily anything about playing any serious internationals in the next 12 months, but just allocating the resources and plotting a course when it's easiest to do so.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I hear you - it's good to recognise the up and comers too, but I'd much rather see a separate section for these developmental type players. Give Cummins, Mitch Marsh, Starc, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Dave Warner a contract of sorts - not a full one, but something to make them feel special. More of a 'we've got our eye on you' contract and maybe give out 5 or so every year in addition to the other 25. At least that would help to appease the masses. Because right now every idiot is saying, how is Cummins a better cricketer than Katich?

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
I hear you - it's good to recognise the up and comers too, but I'd much rather see a separate section for these developmental type players. Give Cummins, Mitch Marsh, Starc, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Dave Warner a contract of sorts - not a full one, but something to make them feel special. More of a 'we've got our eye on you' contract and maybe give out 5 or so every year in addition to the other 25. At least that would help to appease the masses. Because right now every idiot is saying, how is Cummins a better cricketer than Katich?

Developmental or rookie contract? The state sides have them, so CA could too.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
25 is a lot. There's room in that list for your best Test side, best ODI side and half a dozen of your young players.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
After hearing Katich's comments on FoxSports news, I couldn't agree more. Along with Watson (and later on Hussey in the Ashes) were the only ones of late to be strong contributors in our Test top 6. In my opinion, you should pick your best team on performance, not age.

Users who are viewing this thread