Change Champions' Trophy to 20/20 format?

Propmanoz

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Now here's an idea. It may have been mentioned elsewhere before, but I certainly havent heard about it. My idea is this:

Given the recent rumblings that have been going on in the media, and within several cricket boards, about the ICC Champion's Trophy, being a biannual series, taking away the lustre of the World Cup, what about changing the Champion's Trophy into an International 20/20 tournament? That way, it fulfils a variety of functions:

1) It truly launches 20/20 into the international arena, in a meaningful competition, and by all accounts this would be nothing but a good thing.

2) Secondly, it prevents the Champions Trophy from being so similar to the World Cup that it takes away its lustre (given that currently both tournaments involve all the top teams, in a 50-over, group then knockout formats, which are somewhat similar)

3) The ICC get to keep both of their major sources of income, and possibly even increase it, given the popularity of 20/20, in both domestic and international arenas.

4) Assists the host country of the tournament, because, as we can see this year, India has been forced to put aside prime time summer for the Champions Trophy, which they will make little or no money from (because the ICC takes most of the profits). A 20/20 tournament could take place in a shorter time frame, thereby allowing more space in an already hectic International Schedule.

Given the interest that 20/20 generates, such a tournament would allow it to be played internationally in a more competitive and meaningful manner, rather than the one-off, just for a change format its being used for at the moment (there having been only four 20/20 international matches in the space of 12 months).

What do people think?

I still think no. once it develops more there will be a separate competition, im a fan of 20/20 but its not that "good" ODI and Test matches should be the dominant game..

I never did see the point of having a Champions Trophy in the presence of a busy schedule for every country and a World Cup every four years. So I would support this proposal if it went through so we can get rid of the current Champions Trophy and make it a Twenty20 contest instead.

Well,i've heard about there being a 20/20 World Cup,it wouldn't take long.Personally i think they should just keep the Champions Trophy as a normal 50 over-a side contest.

Not a bad idea, you could even open the tournament to more teams because the games are so short.

I'd go for a Twenty20 format for the Champions Trophy. It'd work better with the old 12 team format though, 4 groups of 3.

If you play the tournament on 2 grounds, you could have it over and done with in 3 days.

Wouldn't be a bad idea as the Champion trophy doesn't mean too much compared to the WC as we will find out in the coming year.

This should make it even for the minnows possibly although we haven't seen how good they are at this game yet.

It might give them a chance, as some teams would swap their best bowlers for power hitting all rounders

quite interesting suggestion, and then there will be no knockout stage, all teams have to play more then 1-2 matches. and then will make a great compition.

m_vaughan said:
Very good idea. But I doubt it'll happen.
Yeap, agree with you, indeed its a nice idea, but I also doubt that it'll happen.
btw @propmanoz ->> I like your first point most, which says,

" It truly launches 20/20 into the international arena, in a meaningful competition, and by all accounts this would be nothing but a good thing."

I think the ICCs hand will eventually be forced by the sucess at domestic level.

It's given England, Australia, Pakistan and South Africa the biggest domestic crowds in decades.

I think format is fine... but we don't need supersub in 20 20 thats for sure

As I always said, Champion's trophy is a waste of space. They should either scrap it or replace it with a twenty20 championship. The massive interest seen in Australia, ENgland, SOuth Africa, Pakistan and NZ will influence the ICC's decision to promote a twenty20 world cup.

Users who are viewing this thread