Clarke hints at technique change

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Michael Clarke wants to keep the Australia Twenty20 captaincy, but realises that to do so he must adjust his game - perhaps by recalling the more free-spirited batting of former years.

As Australia players arrived back home following their loss to England in the World Twenty20 final in the Caribbean, Clarke emerged from customs to put a positive spin on his side's performance.

He has only a few days to wait to find out whether or not the Australia selectors will retain him in the Twenty20 team, as the squads for Tests, one-day matches and T20s against Pakistan and England in the British Isles will be announced late next week.

"No doubt (I want to continue), I'm disappointed we couldn't win the World T20, win the final, but I've really enjoyed the opportunity,'' Clarke said.

Clarke hints at technique change - Australia - Fox Sports

Don't know about this, his original technique left us with some ugly dismissals in the Test arena. Its a risk going back to that technique if he can't separate his T20/ODI one with Test. He definitely needs to keep his current technique for Test.

Technique change makes it sound a bit excessive. He just needs to approach limited overs more creatively.

For that it was but he must have done something to his technique as changing your mindset can't be that difficult. David Warner changes his mindset from T20 to ODI no problem although he shouldn't. Michael Hussey has a completely different mindset from Test and ODIs again hes better off with his ODI one but it shows it isn't that hard to do.

Clarke is right, he scored quicker when he first came into the side. But I'd be disappointed if he went out of his way to change his technique somehow just so he could play T20. He's much more valuable to Australian cricket playing as he is now and we'll be thankful for that when the Ashes come around.

No! I would love to see his test match average go up to 55 rather than his T20 strike rate going up.

Mike Hussey is an example, but he's probably the best possible example; after all, he has the best ODI average and an almost equally impressive record in T20Is. Clarke is not only 10 runs per wicket shy of that, but also 10 runs per hundred balls.

If there's an area where he might have technically changed, it could be that he is less bottom handed on the drive, explaining the decline of those "slappy" shots. However, I think it's more shot selection than mechanics, because he's still guilty of hitting the odd one a bit too uppishly. The main aspect is that he relies on his defence a lot more; in many ways that is a good thing because he was getting caught in two minds to a good ball in the avenue of apprehension.

Clarke has a Dravid-esque defense, when was the last time he got out trying to defend a ball?

All I want is to kick Clarke out of the T20 team and introduce young talents such as Khawaja, M.Marsh etc

I'd rather Clarke maintain his current technique and mindset and perform for Australia at Test level than risk that performance to remain in the T20 team. Although, I still would like to see him play more aggressively in ODIs.

Yea would love to see him more aggressive in ODIs but again don't want him doing that at the expense of his Test form.

I don’t think he should change his technique for t20 his current technique is fine. There is no need to change your technique for the damn t20. He should rather concentrate on one days and tests. As Ashes is nearing I would want him to play as he is so that he can score some runs. If he changes his technique then maybe he will struggle to play well in test cricket. So I hope he does not change his technique for t20.

Yea would love to see him more aggressive in ODIs but again don't want him doing that at the expense of his Test form.

As you said though, changing mindset for different forms of cricket shouldn't be too hard to do.

Users who are viewing this thread