Clarke hints at technique change

I don't think pigeon holing is good for players, either. International cricket has such a strong focus on adaptiveness. The greatest cricketers have bows with many strings.

Clarke said this 5 times before and nothing has changed in his 20/20 game.
As you said though, changing mindset for different forms of cricket shouldn't be too hard to do.

I think it's been because no one important has told him outright he needs to change, they've gone the other way, accommodating his style. Of course it's hard to plan given the lack of regular T20 cricket, but I'm sure the selectors and Nielsen thought he could play a role in the Aussie T20 team playing 'normally'. I'm not saying they thought he could be an awesome T20 batsman in his own right, but I think they could see a spot for Clarke's skillset and were willing to squeeze him into that spot based on his importance to Australian cricket.

For what it's worth I thought he could play a role too. I can see a lot of merit in having a more correct player who tests different aspects of the fielding/bowling side eg. pushing fielders for 2s rather than onto the fence, playing more 'correct' shots. But a player like that needs a low% of dotballs and Clarke has a few too many at present.

Oh dear.

I'd like to see him scoring a bit quicker in ODI's, but as Syl said, not at the expense of his Test ability.

For what it's worth I thought he could play a role too. I can see a lot of merit in having a more correct player who tests different aspects of the fielding/bowling side eg. pushing fielders for 2s rather than onto the fence, playing more 'correct' shots. But a player like that needs a low% of dotballs and Clarke has a few too many at present.

Well we have one in Mike Hussey already and when Ferguson is ready he too can fill that role.

He doesn't need to change anything apart from his place in the squad. That does need changing.

The first time I saw Clarke bat I thought he was feeble, he looked totally useless, he looked like a skinny little kid, the bat seemed too big for him.

He still lacks Power, and always will, he is too skinny for 20/20.

Poor little boy, poor little Clarkey.

Users who are viewing this thread