MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Michael Clarke will wait for news from the selectors on whether he is elevated to the vice-captaincy following Adam Gilchrist's retirement. Clarke was Australia's captain during the Twenty20 international against New Zealand last month, when he expressed his leadership aspirations, but after posting his sixth Test century he said there was only a light-hearted application being made for the position.

Full Story: Cricinfo

It would be good for Australian cricket if it were given to a younger member of the side such as Clarke. He is also someone who would lead from the front since he is a good batsmen, bowls useful slow left arm spin and is very good in the field. I would like to see that from Australia because its a positive move to go for a younger player instead of going for a Hayden or a Hussey who are in their 30's.

Hes pretty much assured of it seeing as he was captain of the 20/20 and now vice captain behind Ponting. Would be a real curve ball if he didn't get it.

Deserve and what the selectors go for is a whole different thing. I agree he does deserve it but hes clearly been by passed probably cause of his age. He's more than likely going to retire around the same time as Punter.

hang on pup is what 5 years younger than punter. If Pup is still doing a decent job when punter retires he will definetley keep going.

Oh yeah sorry. If i think about Lee would be a great Vice Captain but i am sure they will give it to Pup for experience if they really want him captain in the near future after Ponting retires.

Brett Lee shouldn't get it. Hes two years younger then Ponting and will probably retire around the same stage as Ponting seems Lee is a fast bowler so it will be pointless.

Don't forget clarke got drop from the side not to long ago, selectors might not want to put that extra pressure on him maybe, still young, who knows maybe Hussey and Clarke will both get vice captain?

Users who are viewing this thread