Confession and problem

barmyarmy said:
my home PC again.
Overheating could definitely be the problem. It has been very warm here in Edinburgh recently although I've barely used the computer.

Now we know he is screwing with us.

Can you post a link for the review please Colin?

SteveS3667 said:
If you are running Windows XP or 2000 then it'd be a memory issue for sure... as C2005 requires 256mb RAM for this game, don't forget some of this memory is used up at Windows start up for some devices so usually it pinches around 15 to 20 percent of your resources so you're really only getting around 200mb free...

Your video card is fine as it falls into the supported cards category like mine does, and your processor is more than sufficient too...

Nowadays as mentioned previously, 256mb is not enough for today's gaming...

Hope this helps...

Steve S.

that was my first view of the problem too. how about trying running the game on the lowest resolution? is there any problem. but overheating could be a problem. try to check the bios after rebooting for the temperature or using any software which logs you CPU temp in a file.

no joke: a friend of mine had the problem with fifa 2005. after opening the case and placing a ventilator at the side of the open case, the game was running without any problem..... so it could be the right way. but one question: you've really bought C2005? no one else here was so clear against it. good luck

I read the PC gamer review which gave it 60%. C2k5 does seem to be a bug fixed version of C2k4 and at least this way I have some choice...
I've been reading the reviews carefully and whilst I still have very little time for the people who produce the game they do seem to have exceeded expectations this time round. The other main reason is that C2k5 is instantly editable thanks to the fact EA have used the Fifa file storage and compression system. That was certainly a big factor in deciding me.
I'll prob upgrade the RAM and try the driver updates and see where I end up...
Cheers again.

Where does the high pitched screaming come from? Is it out of the speakers?

with all the comments you were making, EA made sure the installer searched for your username and...

Biases' aside I'd take any review from PCGamer with a pinch of salt. Their reputation in the industry as honest reviewers isn't exactly "great". :onpc

I've updated the drivers but it's had no effect.
I suspect the problem is, as people have suggested, a combination of heat and lack of RAM as the BLIC demo has also started doing this after 2 overs and that was working fine before.
The problem happens as follows:
Game freezes and computer emits high-pitched squeal
I restart
computer makes siren noises instead of rebooting
I turn power off at plug
I turn on computer 30 seconds later

It has been unseasonably hot in Edinburgh this last week and my room is not only a sun-trap but also has no air conditioning. At this rate BLIC won't work either. I should probably look into buying a new/more powerful fan as well...

I had this exact same problem for nbalive, and the problem was overheating of the graphics card.

So i'd lower the graphics resolution, or do what i do now which is move your tower take off the top and get a fan pushing air through it to cool it, works like a gem.

Users who are viewing this thread