Copa Peace 2009

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Coming up between July 24th and August 2nd 2009 is the Peace Cup 2009, the biggest and best pre-season competition featuring some of the world's biggest clubs.

Previous editions of the Peace Cup have been held in Korea, but for the first time the competition is coming to Europe, with five stadiums in Andalucia and one in Madrid set to host matches that will delight both the Spanish public and the world at large.

As the name suggests, the object of the Peace Cup is to use football to advance the goal of world peace. Run by the Sunmoon Peace Football Foundation, past winners include Tottenham Hotspur and Olympique Lyonnais.

The international flavour of the competition is very much evident, with twelve teams from nine countries taking part. In alphabetical order, these are:

Al-Ittihad (Saudi Arabia)
Aston Villa (England)
Celtic (Scotland)
Fenerbahce (Turkey)
Juventus (Italy)
LDU Quito (Ecuador)
Malaga CF (Spain)
Olympique Lyonnais (France)
FC Porto (Portugal)
Seongnam FC (Korea)
Sevilla CF (Spain)
Real Madrid (Spain)
The draw will be made this Thursday, April 16th.

Source: www.goal.com

Peace out.

Last edited:

PhilD123

International Coach
Looking forward to this very important tournament. Tottenham have the London bragging rights for years now after winning last years, and even if they win the CL this year, Arsenal and Chelsea can't do anything about that!

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
I dont think anyone has compared it to any official in-season tournament. Its preseason and nothing more, but involves a decent number of sides from around the world. It might be a lot more competitive and interesting than the club world championship though.

PhilD123

International Coach
Seeing as how its not competitive, it won't be more competitive than the World Club Championship.

I just thought making a whole thread on it, and the fact you were obviously quite excited about it was a bit hypocritical after your response to Will when he was bragging about Arsenal beating Madrid in the Emirates tournament.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Seeing as how its not competitive, it won't be more competitive than the World Club Championship.

I just thought making a whole thread on it, and the fact you were obviously quite excited about it was a bit hypocritical after your response to Will when he was bragging about Arsenal beating Madrid in the Emirates tournament.

I am looking forward to it but I wont be too bothered about it because its pre-season.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Not really. They're one of the worst teams in that. Even after Spuds.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors

What I meant was that World Club Championship is competitive on paper, and a joke otherwise.

And if we can have a thread on the nursery rhymes people sign at football matches then I dont see why we cant have one for a pre-season tournament that is being organised for the purpose of "peace".

PhilD123

International Coach
It's done a great job in the last two years hasn't it. How peaceful the world has been.

There is already a pre-season thread.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Group A

Sevilla
Juventus
Seongnam Ilhwa

Group B

Real Madrid
Liga de Quito
Al-Ittihad