Cricket Fielders ? Who are the best in business?

We (New Zealand) has always been a team that has prided itself on iour fielding.

Fleming was one of the best in the slips for years.

Other good current NZ fielders are Taylor, Guptill, Ryder (believe it or not, but yes), J. Patel, Oram and ............. N. McCullum.

If they have an award for the best mid on/mid off fielder Vettori would be up their. Most games he is diving around saving tons of runs from straight drives.

When I think of NZ fielders I think of that catch by Astle... and that other one by Sinclair. But those guys you named are really good too. What is annoying though is whenever Oram makes a catch, the umpires go on for SOOOO long about his hands and how big they are.

Most of the current Indian fielders suck in general. And in a basket full of rotten apples, the only fresh one is Suresh Raina. Even he isn't anything great, but still, compared to his fellow teammates, he's much better. Yuvraj used to be another quality Indian fielder, but I'm afraid he has lost his former agility- not that old Yuvraj anymore.

Who "ARE" the best in the business? Here's the list -

1. Rahul Dravid
2. Yuvraj Singh
3. AB de Villiers
4. Suresh Raina
5. Mohammad Kaif
6. Tillakaratne Dilshan
7. Michael Clarke
8. JP Duminy
9. Martin Guptill
10. Dwayne Bravo
11. Shakib Al Hasan

When doing an 'XI' you should do an actual side

6 batsman/allrounders, 3 quicks, 1 spinner and 1 keeper

Fielders XI -

1. Tilly Dilshan
2. Gautam Gambhir
3. AB Dev
4. Michael Clarke
5. JP Duminy
6. Dwayne Bravo
7. Prasanna Jayawardane
8. Angelo Matthews
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Brett Lee
11. Dale Steyn

Pretty damn good XI!

We (New Zealand) has always been a team that has prided itself on iour fielding.

Fleming was one of the best in the slips for years.

Other good current NZ fielders are Taylor, Guptill, Ryder (believe it or not, but yes), J. Patel, Oram and ............. N. McCullum.

If they have an award for the best mid on/mid off fielder Vettori would be up their. Most games he is diving around saving tons of runs from straight drives.

Oh I definately believe that Ryder is a brilliant fielder despite his.....load. He was fantastic in the T20 series against Sri Lanka pulling off some great catches and stops. But my favourite fielder would have to be AB de Villiers and Collingwood.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for their excellent inputs and insights.

With invaluable insights from different individuals we are able to see the big picture of Fielders.

Obviously I have not been able to include a number quality fielders in my 12 list.

However to be fair to those who missed the boat I will have an additional list tomorrow.

On the other hand it is only fair to have a list of the greatest fielders of the past.

Here is my selection:

Not in order.

1.Colin Bland
2.Sir Gary Sobers
3.Sir Viv Richards
4.Bobby Simpson
5.Mark Waugh
6.Mark Taylor
7.Allan Border
8.Eknath solkar
9.Derek Randall
10.Roger Harper
11.Gus Logie

12th man Wasim Raja

Brilliant catch but 1 catch does not put this guy anywhere near the list of the top 25 fielders.

i didnt say that, i was just sharing a good effort. to show that bowlers can be good fielders too.

it looked even better from horizontal angle , but the guy didnt record it

Yea, the best bowler fielder is Jimmy Anderson, by a mile

I'd have Paul Collingwood in my team anytime, anywhere, as a fielder that is!

During Aussie matches I'd always want a substitute fielder in there somewhere just to annoy everybody!:D

What ever happened to Gary Pratt????!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dwayne Leverock

Was that really necessary?

I know most of the great West Indian fast bowlers were great fielders; especially Courtney Walsh and Curtly Ambrose. Remember Ambrose takin a great catch in a beach cricket game last year..... at 40+!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread