Cricket On Tv - In The Uk ( lack of )

squiz said:
Don't you get home games on Free-to-air like in Australia?
Not anymore, the rights were sold to the highest bidder :)

It really sucks. One of the pleasures of my summer has been relaxing in front of the TV and watching Test cricket after exams. Now the ECB have sold us out. I'm a mad cricket fan and I can't afford to get Sky (Sky Sports is ?40 a month - AU$100), I don't see how we're going to get any new fans.

Fair enough, there is going to be more money to put into the grass roots of the game, but if kids aren't aware of the sport, there ain't gonna be any grass roots to put money into!

At the very least, Twenty20 games should be on free TV. They don't take up an entire days TV schedule, and thats the form of the game most likely to attract new spectatators.

At the very least, Twenty20 games should be on free TV. They don't take up an entire days TV schedule, and thats the form of the game most likely to attract new spectatators.

Absolutely. Perfect timing as well, when people are back from school / work etc. And so what if its on at the same time as the soaps. Miss an episode and broaden your horizons for once in your life! (Sorry - will get off my cynical soap-box).

Oh, the wonderful subject of the ECB making yet another mistake. They seem to think that sticking a highlights program on channel 5 at the same time as the soaps will make up for it, IDIOTS!

Not every part of the country can get channel (around 5-10%) and only around 25% has Sky, and that doesn't mean that those with Sky have the full package. There was a statistic on cricinfo saying the had something like 80-85% in negative responses to the deal. Fair enough, the money's good, but as Andrew says, without players the money is useless.

The idea with Twenty20 is a very good one, and its not like its all the year round.

I have sky sports, but i am against putting all cricket on sky, they should defiantely put it all on terrestial, they talk about getting more people into th game, how will they do that when they only put it on something that only a proportion of people have

(lol) I still remember back in india(That is where i use to live) I had a antenna that was really small.Then i use to go to my belkeny and stick the antenna out directioning it towards south and i use to get all the channel's from american channel to star sport's that showed all the test cricket matche's.It was good time's back then but now i live in usa and i cant watch ****.

Will p said:
I have sky sports, but i am against putting all cricket on sky, they should defiantely put it all on terrestial, they talk about getting more people into th game, how will they do that when they only put it on something that only a proportion of people have

I dont know how it will help increase the populartiy of the game in uk and Some other countrie's.I mean when i was a child i did not knew anything About cricket but then i start watching cricke on tv and learned all the rule's.But if you dont have cricket on regular tv for the young viewer's to Watch then it will destroy the cricket generation.

Tom Harrison, also sent one to Giles Clarke but never got a reply from him. I'll put up the one I saved from Tom Harrison:

Subj: RE: Serious mistake.
Date: 05/01/2005 16:30:12 GMT Standard Time
To: [email protected]
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Stephen

Thank you for your email. I thought it appropriate to offer this response to your thoughts.

It must be understood that the funds which come directly form our media partnerships (television, radio and new media) make an enormous contribution to cricket?s income in this country (up to 80%). Therefore, ECB?s ability to support the infrastructure of the game in this country at all levels of the game, from the provision of central contracts at England level right the way through the professional ranks to the grass roots of the game, depends almost entirely on our ability to exploit these rights. That being said, ECB is also fully aware of the huge contribution which exposure on terrestrial television has made to the sport. The question therefore, is to balance cricket?s exposure through terrestrial coverage in a changing broadcasting landscape against ECB?s fiduciary responsibility to finance the game.

There is a perception that all terrestrial broadcasters have the time in their future schedules to cover cricket. This simply is not the case, for two main reasons, firstly, due to the unique challenges which cricket presents terrestrial broadcasters and secondly, due to the enormous competition placed on ratings amongst terrestrial broadcasters who are now competing on a multi-channel basis. The deal ECB has struck reflects this fact and the way in which people will be exposed to cricket in the future ? i.e. through the traditional mediums of television and radio but also, increasingly, online and through mobile phones etc.

We do, however appreciate that a significant percentage of the population will not have access to satellite television, in response to which ECB has secured a prime time slot for highlights to be shown on Five from 7.15 ? 8.00pm, for each night of international cricket (excluding day/night one day internationals), the heaviest television viewing time for families.

The ECB Management Board was unanimous in its view that the cost to the game of maintaining live coverage on terrestrial television would have had severe consequences for the game at all levels from grassroots in clubs and schools, all the way to the England team, where massive cuts would have to be implemented. The deals with Sky, BBC, Five and TalkSPORT ensure we can continue to invest to develop a thriving grassroots structure and continue our significant recent progress at national level for our men?s women?s and age group teams. Success at national level is the driving factor of a sport?s appeal and popularity.

In terms of our satellite partners BSkyB, who have been loyal supporters of English cricket since 1989, ECB are certain that Sky Sports will continue the excellent job which Channel 4 has done for Test cricket and will continue to do so for the 2005 summer, Sky Sports has also been partly responsible for the outstanding success of the Twenty20 Cup which has done a great deal to promote cricket to a new and vibrant audience.

We are working with them to look at how access to live cricket can be offered at preferential rates for ECB affiliated recreational cricket clubs around the country before the new agreement comes into being in 2006.

ECB are pleased to have secured the future of cricket for the next four years, which will enable us to continue moving forward as a sport for all ages and backgrounds to follow. I hope this gives you some useful background into our decision.

Yours sincerely

Tom Harrison

ECB Marketing Manager

Users who are viewing this thread