Crowd threw coins and a baseball at us - Victorian Bushrangers

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Victorian players had coins and a baseball thrown at them by a misbehaving Adelaide Oval crowd on the way to lifting the domestic Twenty20 title from South Australia's grasp.

The Bushrangers complained to the Cricket Australia security manager about the bad behaviour of the 17,722 spectators, who watched their side miss out on another trophy. The drought has now stretched to a 14th year.

Cricket Australia plans to strengthen the security presence at the ground for tomorrow's Australia Day limited-overs match between the national side and Pakistan.

Trouble began around the 15th over of the innings after SA had lost the wickets of Mark Cosgrove and Kieron Pollard to all but hand the game to Victoria.

"It was at a point of the game where the South Australian fans were clearly aware that the nature of the game was such that SA wasn't going to win it," said Cricket Australia spokesman Peter Young.

Visiting captain David Hussey returned some of the abuse he received while catching Pollard on the boundary rope to make the game safe, and said he was unhappy his players had been targeted on a night that was otherwise a firm reinforcement of Victoria's depth and big-occasion temperament.

"They were quite boisterous. I'm a little bit disappointed, let's just say that," Hussey said. "They threw a few coins at the players, which I'm disappointed about.

"But we came here with a purpose and I thought we played pretty much perfect cricket."

This year's domestic T20 tournament has seen a succession of huge crowds totalling 308,590 spectators, and SA's home matches were witnessed by packed houses, albeit at reduced capacity.

But the poor behaviour during the latter part of the final was denounced by the SA cricket association.

"We certainly don't condone that sort of behaviour at all," a SACA spokesman said.

Victoria have now won four of the five domestic T20 tournaments.

- AAP

Source - South Australia spectators abuse winning Victorians

Last edited:

Offspinner

Club Cricketer
I'm not surprised. It seemed as if Hodge and Hussey had been really copping it the way they celebrated their catches in the deep by turning around and showing the crowd.

It is a shame that a few morons can ruin a great occasion like this.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Exactly man. I was really disappointed with the crowd behaviour. I was even talking about this the other day and I thought it was only the verbal abuse that players coped with. :facepalm

Throwing coins and stuff is really serious stuff :mad:

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
lol what they complaining about, the goalie from Columbia and one of African countries got shot for sucking it up. In Europe during basketball games they get all kinds of crap thrown at them.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Gah, this is poor. I hope this doesn't happen at the ODI tomorrow.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Meh, maybe they just thought the Victoria's were been effected by the global ecomony crisis?

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Man what a waste, they actually got their wallets out and threw away their money!
████ I would've been stoked.
Baseballs are a different story though:noway

baggy_blogger

News Team Member
This stuff happens. It is upsetting, but it's usually just a few muppets who have a few too many beers. The players react to it and then they will cop it a bit.
Unfortunate and I'm sure SACA will make sure there are no further issues.
But it's happened many times in other countries in other events and other sports. One of those things.

ajdude

International Coach
Meh, maybe they just thought the Victoria's were been effected by the global ecomony crisis?
At least we haven't been affected by the global grammar crisis. ;)

But seriously, what's with the baseball? Wrong sport much?

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
I definitely wouldn't give my money to Victoria. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to throw anything hard and unvaluable tho.

ajdude

International Coach
I definitely wouldn't give my money to Victoria. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to throw anything hard and unvaluable tho.
We already have something hard and unvaluable in the Big Bash trophy, don't need anything else please.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Just coz you New South Welshman had a hard and invaluable wooden spoon thrown at you ;)

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Hmm, good point. I take that back lol, and the NSW guys can egg me :\

Users who are viewing this thread