Decline of International football

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Miguel Delaney: International standard - ESPN Soccernet

A very good read this and the author makes alot of good points i must say.

quote said:
By Miguel Delaney

Didier Deschamps knew instantly. As David Trezeguet thundered the ball into the roof of Italy's net to win Euro 2000, the French captain was struck by a feeling of finality. Amid the centre-circle celebrations, he told manager Roger Lemerre "it's never going to get any better than this".

GettyImages
Didier Deschamps: Waving goodbye to a golden era of football?
Deschamps was, of course, talking about a French dynasty that had just completed a double. But he might well have been describing international football in general.

In the decade since Trezeguet's moment of glory, it appears the standard has irrevocably declined. It is no longer anywhere near the very top level of the sport. And - despite the current quality of Spain, Germany and, to a lesser degree, Netherlands - international football has never been so open beyond those elite sides.

On Tuesday night, for example, a Slovakian team that reached the last 16 of the 2010 World Cup got trounced 4-0 at home by Armenia. Their Euro 2012 qualifying group, meanwhile, is one of a number that remain on a knife-edge.

With that grand move towards the middle ground, the overall quality has drastically dropped.

The irony is that the future seemed so fascinating in the summer of 2000. Over that month of June in Belgium and the Netherlands, all of the most talented teams had been on top form. Many of the finest attacking players had been so well integrated that a series of sides - particularly the Dutch hosts, Portugal, Romania, Spain and the Czech Republic  took their games to elevated levels.

That ensured that, for a rare occasion amid the more random nature of knockout football, the better sides usually won. Indeed, by pioneering a 4-2-3-1 formation with so many fluid forwards, France appeared the 'right' champions. But, despite a certain inevitability to the outcomes as a result of so many sides on top form, the challenge put up by many of the defeated teams (not least Italy in the final) ensured a truly exciting and dynamic tournament. So epic was the carnival of attacking football created that many writers described Euro 2000 as the best international tournament since Mexico 1970.

Unfortunately, though, that description would also fit on a deeper level. Both of those celebrated tournaments would prove dividing lines in football history. Just like Mexico 1970, Euro 2000 ended up as an isolated peak rather than a pointer of things to come. And, just as the Brazilian champions of 1970 would prove a last hurrah for genuinely open, almost innocent, attacking football, that European Championship marked the end of international football's time as the elite level of the game.

Of course, by that point we had already been given a glimpse of the future. In the season immediately preceding Euro 2000, the Champions League had undergone its final expansion to 32 teams. The scale had been increased and the stakes had been raised. It wasn't long until that monolith of a competition completely dominated the football landscape. The top club teams - and, by extension, the top international players - could have their number of fixtures increased by up to 50%.

And that had another effect on the international game beyond just rendering players physically and emotionally jaded for the increasing afterthought of their countries' matches.

GettyImages
The UEFA Champions League continues to completely dominate the football landscape
Because of the raised stakes and finances of the Champions League, many clubs began to invest much more time and money into preparation. Indeed, the last decade has seen quantum leaps in football science and even the complexity of formations. The very best club teams, for example, spend hours working on attacks in order to improve integration to point they come off so much quicker.

And, as Jonathan Wilson wrote in a recent edition of World Soccer, that's the kind of investment beyond international managers. The outcome has been a move towards more defensive football at international level. But, consequently, much more open competitions too.

Because, unlike attacking football - which requires a deeper understanding that must be built up - the defensive game requires a more superficial discipline that can be placed on a team top down. As such, many international managers understandably concentrate more on the backline in their short time with teams. By contrast, the more gifted attackers are largely left to try and win games with individual moments of inspiration.

Indeed, the ultimate examples of this were a disjointed Dutch team in the last World Cup and Portugal over the last half-decade. Both had rock-solid defences but rigid, one-dimensional attacks despite the qualities of their forwards. And, since it is usually the lesser nations that lack attacking quality, this makes it much easier for them to bridge the gap.

The results are clear when you look at the last four sides in all of the World Cups and European Championships over the last four decades. With a total of 20 places available in each period, the following are the number of different semi-finalists in each decade from both of those tournaments:

1970-78:
12 (4 West Germany, 3 Holland, 3 Brazil, 2 Italy, 1 Uruguay, USSR, Belgium, Hungary, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Argentina)
1980-88:
12 (4 West Germany, 3 Italy, 3 France, 2 Belgium, 1 Czechoslovakia, Poland, Spain, Denmark, Portugal, Argentina, Holland, USSR)
1990-98:
12 (3 West Germany, 2 Italy, 2 England, 2 Holland, 2 Sweden, 2 France, 2 Brazil, 1 Argentina, Denmark, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia)
And, with Euro 2000 as a watershed:

2002-10:
13 (4 Germany, 2 Turkey, 2 Portugal, 2 Holland, 2 Spain, 1 Brazil, Korea, Greece, Czech Republic, Italy, France, Russia, Uruguay)
The last five tournaments have clearly been more open. And, even though they have only seen an increase of one in terms of semi-finalists, it's not just about the numbers. It's also about the names. With generally one exception every 10 years, each of the semi-finalists from the previous three decades had some recent record of success or particularly special pool of talent. Not so in the cases of Greece, South Korea, Turkey and Uruguay since 2000. And that offers hope to all manner of mid-sized countries - let alone relative underachievers such as England.

The recent Copa America was another clear example. Despite the outstanding attacking players of Brazil and Argentina, their inability to properly integrate them brought only frustration against disciplined defensive units. As such, their traditional places at the peak of the international game have been well and truly taken by Spain and Germany.

no_source / Christophe Simon/AFP/Getty Images
Germany and Spain's players are more used to the 'national style' than other countries
Yet, another irony of all this is that we're now likely to have an elite level who appear more advanced than at any other stage in history. It isn't hard to imagine both Spain and Germany dominating for at least the next decade.

But that's also because their investment in grassroots has allowed them to bypass the kind of problems other nations face. With young players from both countries having been so well inculcated and coached in highly technical systems, the 'national style' becomes second nature. As such, imposing a framework becomes much less of an issue for their managers.

In the meantime, the rest of the world must fight on by imposing contentious formations on frustrated players. And, all the while, the gap closes everywhere except between the top two and the rest. For the moment, it's not going to get any better than them.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
That was a good read. Miguel Delaney has a website that I'd recommend: The Football Pantheon

I think there isn't as much chemistry in International football. Only Spain and Germany really have it and they're the top two sides. Spain have a first XI of nearly all Barca players who have played with each other for years. Players play for teams all over the world and there's not a group of internationals playing together at club level, forming partnerships.

England have a great opportunity now though with so many English players at Man Utd. Rooney, Young, Welbeck, Cleverley, Jones and Smalling can form the nucleus of the England side in the future. The understanding the gain from playing alongside each other at club level will be vital.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ye that United connection with the England players will be key to England's fortunes in the future.

A great obvious point raised in that article was the players playing in different positions internationally compared to club sides. A notable example is with Messi currently.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
I personally don't believe there is a decline in international. I personally reckon Spain and Germany to be considerably superior to everyone else, and Spain especially are showing this domination at all levels, not just senior.

For all the talk of Euro 2000, I thought Euro 2008 was one of the best competitions ever. There has however been a decline in Italian, Argentinian and Brazilian football in recent years. Italian football is struggling to find quality youngsters to replace their ageing stars - something that is reflected in both international and club level. Brazil according to me have a lot of overhyped and overrated youngsters who have yet to prove themselves.

The fact that Fernando Gago and Gabriel Milito were starters for Argentina in the Copa America clearly shows their problems.

I personally look forward to international games, friendlies or competitive. Always have, and don't think thats changed in recent years.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Italy do have Santon, Rossi, Balotelli, Ranocchia, Criticso, Maggio, Abate. Although the midfield looks old, it can find replacements.

Argentina lack proper management, they're local leagues are in a terrible dilemna, and they need to find a lot of new defenders.

I just feel Neymar should be let to rot in Santos, his contract will anyway run out and then Santos will be willing to negotiate. And by that time, Neymar's quality will be proven well enough, or he would've turned into a flop. This applies not only for Neymar, but also for those overhyped youngsters.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I personally don't believe there is a decline in international. I personally reckon Spain and Germany to be considerably superior to everyone else, and Spain especially are showing this domination at all levels, not just senior.

For all the talk of Euro 2000, I thought Euro 2008 was one of the best competitions ever. There has however been a decline in Italian, Argentinian and Brazilian football in recent years. Italian football is struggling to find quality youngsters to replace their ageing stars - something that is reflected in both international and club level. Brazil according to me have a lot of overhyped and overrated youngsters who have yet to prove themselves.

The fact that Fernando Gago and Gabriel Milito were starters for Argentina in the Copa America clearly shows their problems.

I personally look forward to international games, friendlies or competitive. Always have, and don't think thats changed in recent years.

Ye i'd say EURO 08 was the best international competition since EURO 2000.

Brazil no doubt have alot of overhyped players.

Argentina have alot of quality strikers and mid-fielders, but their defense is poor. They need to get a proper tactical coach who is not going to be obsessed with trying to make Argentina play like Barcelona - thus frustrating Messi. But rather get them to play their own way and play Messi in a position that best suites Argentina.

One decline in international football i would certainly say is obvious is quality central-defenders.

Around the Euro 2000 era we had off my head Maldini, Blanc, Desailly, Adams, Montero, Heirro, F De Boer, Couto, Cannavaro, Nesta, The Popescu brothers, Thuram, Stam, Ayala etc for eg as truly world-class center-halves.

But right now only Puyol, Pique, Ferdinand, Vidic, Lucio i'd say can fall into the category as truly WC central-defenders & with Ferdinand & Puyol playing sparingly due to age and injury, it becomes even less.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Ye i'd say EURO 08 was the best international competition since EURO 2000.

Brazil no doubt have alot of overhyped players.

Argentina have alot of quality strikers and mid-fielders, but their defense is poor. They need to get a proper tactical coach who is not going to be obsessed with trying to make Argentina play like Barcelona - thus frustrating Messi. But rather get them to play their own way and play Messi in a position that best suites Argentina.

One decline in international football i would certainly say is obvious is quality central-defenders.

Around the Euro 2000 era we had off my head Maldini, Blanc, Desailly, Adams, Montero, Heirro, F De Boer, Couto, Cannavaro, Nesta, The Popescu brothers, Thuram, Stam, Ayala etc for eg as truly world-class center-halves.

But right now only Puyol, Pique, Ferdinand, Vidic, Lucio i'd say can fall into the category as truly WC central-defenders & with Ferdinand & Puyol playing sparingly due to age and injury, it becomes even less.

Yes there has been a decline in quality CBs for sure. But thats in football generally and you can't blame the NTs for that. Maybe the academies are all to busy producing the next Messi they have ignored the role of defenders.

Bevab

Staff Member
Didn't they get the idea of a new Thuram?

And you forgot to add Terry, Chiellini, Mertesacker etc. to that list. I agree that quality has dropped, but still, there are some great prospects like Jones, Barta, Smalling etc. to upkeep the importance of quality CB's.

Auwais

International Coach
It's a bit of a transitional period for centre-backs, even at the big clubs. Barcelona are trying to find an adequate replacement for Puyol, Man Utd are phasing out Rio & Vidic soon, Real will be looking for Carvalho's long term replacement soon, same with Milan and Nesta, Chelsea and Terry etc etc.

Bevab

Staff Member
Real don't need to worry, they got Varane as a long-term replacement. Same applies for Barcelona, they got plenty of youngsters who play well. Milan have Mexes as a short-term player, United have Smalling, Jones and Evans who can play in the CB role.

That leaves only Chelsea, and even they have Bruma, although he can fail.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Speaking of International football, England now have something we haven't had for a very long time: two solid defenders who are very confident going forwards as well - they like having the ball: Jones and Smalling. Along with players like Cleverly, Wilshere and Welbeck, England's future is looking good - as long as whoever ends up being the boss has the guts to actually give them a proper go at it before they reach 27 years old. ;)

----------

It's a bit of a transitional period for centre-backs, even at the big clubs. Barcelona are trying to find an adequate replacement for Puyol, Man Utd are phasing out Rio & Vidic soon, Real will be looking for Carvalho's long term replacement soon, same with Milan and Nesta, Chelsea and Terry etc etc.

Rio maybe, but Vidic still has time left and he is nowhere near as injury prone as Rio. In any case, the next generation of our centre backs is already here: Jones and Smalling. :)

War

Chairman of Selectors
Yes there has been a decline in quality CBs for sure. But thats in football generally and you can't blame the NTs for that. Maybe the academies are all to busy producing the next Messi they have ignored the role of defenders.

Maybe that could be a reason for the decline, but i'm not sure 100%. Someone should research it more in depth.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Perhaps it's due to the fact that teams are generally defending as units better and therefore heroics from certain players aren't required as much?

When you look at the Premiership for example 10 years ago, every team played ridiculously open. It's no wonder why Arsenal's invincibles scored as many as they did when you consider how easy it was to find space. Now we've seen more reactive teams and boxy encounters.

This example doesn't work that well now as Utd seem to have adopted an Invincibles style strategy and play open football again. However last season we saw how cagey the games were at times.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
You should read the list in its entirety at The Football Pantheon

It doesn't matter if you wholeheartedly disagree with the lists on there, the write ups are so brilliant, insightful and so well argued that you have to respect every choice.

Users who are viewing this thread