Do we really Need ODI format of cricket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamza101

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think with test being the pinnacle of the game and twenty20 being the big crowd puller that odis aren't really neccessary? Plus without ODI cricket we could have more time in the ICC schedule for longer test and t20 series of around 3-5 matches in series depending on teams playing. Then have a Test cricket championship (which will come in soon) every 4 years and a twenty20 world cup every 4 years within 2 years of each other (such as world cup and euros in football). What do u think?

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If there was one thing that needs to be done, then its to scrap T20's. Not ODI's.

Phen

School Cricketer
I think the bigger problem is too many stupid T20 series both domestically and internationally, a 5 match or more ODI series is ridiculous, 3 matches is perfect.

Make 3 Test, 3 ODI and 3 T20 matches the compulsory format for every series (excluding the Ashes and a Test series between the top four nations maybe) and force the IPL to work around international cricket (not the other way round!). This way, no one gets bored, the players don't have ridiculously long playing schedules and we still pull in the crowds with the T20.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Only 1-2 T20I per match per year should be allowed to a team. T20 cricket should be strong at the domestic/club level.

ODI cricket needs to exist. Eliminating ODI cricket is a stupid thought!

Bevab

Staff Member
Funny to see a user like Hamza's post.

6ry4nj

International Coach
If there was one thing that needs to be done, then its to scrap T20's. Not ODI's.
This is what needs to happen - scrap T20s.

Domestic legacy comps like the IPL can continue. (While the demented English counties keep playing 40-over, who's going to cast the first stone? :noway)

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Yes, T20 is the format that needs to be scrapped as it neither helps the player get the opportunity to showcase his skill nor one can improve them with it. Ugly looking shots are disgusting to watch for a cricket fan who loves to see two teams skillfully fighting it out. Moreover, it has done too bad for the spinners. They normally bowl too defensive these days and choose to fire the ball in instead of giving the flight and try to turn it. Harbhajan Singh is a perfect example of it.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I've long been a supporter of only 2 formats. It would help clear the schedule and would stop the constant tinkering of rules in ODI cricket to try and keep it relevant. So that concept has a big thumbs up from me :thumbs

Harder question though is how to get to 2 formats... If I were GOD, I'd kinda merge T20Is and ODIs, as I think 40 overs is the answer - still long enough for a good day out, for big innings (and plenty of advertising dough), but short enough to encourage more stroke play which is ultimately what T20 does so well. Leave 20 over stuff to franchise/state cricket, promote 40 over cricket as the true test of a limited overs player, tougher opposition, more overs etc.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I've long been a supporter of only 2 formats. It would help clear the schedule and would stop the constant tinkering of rules in ODI cricket to try and keep it relevant. So that concept has a big thumbs up from me :thumbs

Harder question though is how to get to 2 formats... If I were GOD, I'd kinda merge T20Is and ODIs, as I think 40 overs is the answer - still long enough for a good day out, for big innings (and plenty of advertising dough), but short enough to encourage more stroke play which is ultimately what T20 does so well. Leave 20 over stuff to franchise/state cricket, promote 40 over cricket as the true test of a limited overs player, tougher opposition, more overs etc.

I agree with this one! Remove international T20's and make an ODI into two T20 matches in a day. Make it as a mini-test match with each team playing their respective innings one by one. And let T20 domestic leagues continue.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I think with test being the pinnacle of the game and twenty20 being the big crowd puller that odis aren't really neccessary? Plus without ODI cricket we could have more time in the ICC schedule for longer test and t20 series of around 3-5 matches in series depending on teams playing. Then have a Test cricket championship (which will come in soon) every 4 years and a twenty20 world cup every 4 years within 2 years of each other (such as world cup and euros in football). What do u think?

Nah, all three formats can exists. Just a simple situation of smart scheduling in which 7 match and 5-match odi series are scrapped and at least 3 t20's are played over a series instead of many 1 off t20's which tends to threat the game as exhibition.

Every international series should then have a minimum of 3 tets, 3 odi's and 3 t20's and everything will be perfect. Only the Ashes, England vs S Africa and maybe aus vs ind and ind vs pakistan could have more tests because of the obvious historical significance of those series.

But again as most problems with world cricket, the problem horribly weak ICC is the reason why their is even a debate about this.

They have a corrupt board in the BCCI dictating things to them and they have implemented the IPL and along with cricket australia and the saffies board - created the champions league, which has clustered up the international calendar.

This disparity was horribly showed when the ICC announced its FTP scheduled for 2012 - 2020 in which the ipl was given an unofficial window and the champions league and official window. Madness.

ICC news: More Tests for major countries in FTP 2012-20 draft | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | ESPN Cricinfo

Test cricket is the pinnacle and t20's is third best format in terms of the standard of cricket although it is the cash cow that can potentially get more countries involved in the game.

Therefore the IPL needs to be revamped into a more international league and only when this happens should it get a window and the champions league should be scrapped.

Such an revamped IPL and the T20 international world-cup every two years, is all the t20 cricket we would need.

Test championship really isn't needed also and although the influence TV companies has on sports in general is fairly big, i for once agree with them for making the ICC scrap that idea for next year and bringing back the champions trophy.

All those weak idea's along all the constant changing of the rules in ODIs (they should have never moved away from the first15-overs restriction) because of some crazy belief that the middle-overs of odi's were too boring - is also another example of the poor administrative structure in the ICC.

Last edited:

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors

Thanks but not thanks sir, ODI Cricket is the life of cricket. If there will be ever need to eliminate something that must be the Twenty Twenty leagues which are full of rubbish in my view.

One Day Cricket is a true spirit along with tests. While T20 should be lot less as it isnt a cricket in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread