Does Wages = Talent?

Ace Leggy

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't think you can see a players stats Football Manager style where you have rating for technique and stuff, you can only see his averages, Is wages a good way of seeing how good a player is? for example the younger players who have been practicing their technique but not had enough games to really show their true averages, Is wages a good measure of their ability?

no. i had an aussie (bracken?) with a 41,000 wage took 20 wickets in a few games compared to mcgrath 5 in 5

I think its more Wages=Reputation. A player could have lot of talent but not a good reputation yet so the game makes the wages demands less while if they have a big reputation like McGrath wage demands will be higher.

If Wages = Talent, I am deeply concerned with the sanity of this game.

Let's observe the Australian wages at the start of the game (in which they play the 2005 Ashes), in order from highest to lowest of the default 20 man squad.

David Hussey 96,000
Ricky Ponting 89,500
Shane Watson 88,500
Matthew Hayden 87,000
Damien Martyn 83,000
Jason Gillespie 79,500
Simon Katich 76,000
Adam Gilchrist 74,000
Glenn McGrath 72,500
Phil Jaques 71,500
Justin Langer 65,500
Matthew Innes 57,000
Shane Warne 57,000
Brett Lee 55,000
Andrew McDonald 50,000
Andrew Bichel 48,500
Paul Rofe 45,000
Michael Kasprowicz 42,500

Is this to suggest that:
1. An uncapped, even uncontracted player is more talented than the Australian captain and the most prominent batsman in world cricket?
2. Shane Warne, the greatest spinner (arguably bowler) of all-time, is as talented as Matthew Inness who wouldnt even get a run on his lucky day?
3. Michael Kasprowicz is a complete dud thats worth peanuts?
4. Shane Watson is one of the greatest all-rounders there is? (There isnt much all-rounders, if any, worth more than 88K in ICC)

I certainly hope its either reputation or just there for looks. If it is to do with talent and averages though - I'll ditch ICC and burn down the offices.

I rest my case.

Azza!

As you get further on in the game then, yes, it does seem wages = talent for youngsters atleast. If you see a youngster with 30,000+ wages, they will more than likely go on to be a great player. Its got a lot to do with age though, From what I've experienced, if theyre 19 - 22 and have 30,000+, 23 - 27 and they have 80,000+ or 27+ and have 50,000+ then they will be great players.

I think it may be something like "Talent x Years left in Career x Reputation = Wages"

RabbleRouser said:
As you get further on in the game then, yes, it does seem wages = talent for youngsters atleast. If you see a youngster with 30,000+ wages, they will more than likely go on to be a great player. Its got a lot to do with age though, From what I've experienced, if theyre 19 - 22 and have 30,000+, 23 - 27 and they have 80,000+ or 27+ and have 50,000+ then they will be great players.
That makes the Aussie wages seem sensible. Warne is 27+, wage of 50K. Watson is young, hence 80K. Good find.

years left in a career isnt fixed i dont think, if you are unhappy a player has retired early for instance all you do is cntrl+alt+del after the window announcing his retirement has gone and the player signing screen appears. (make sure to save the game first though). End the game then restart and continue to do this until he doesnt retire. Obviously this only works upto a certain point though. Technically its cheating, but some players retire too early, such as at 33 or 34, when they clearly arent past it yet.

Last edited:
I've also noticed that salary demand seems to have a bigger effect on player ability than 2nd team averages. I had a chinaman spinner for Hampshire back in ICC2005 with a 2nd team average of about 32, and salary was about 28,000, and he was amazing, with a 1st class bowling average of about 12 in one season.

On the other hand, I had a Nottinghamshire chinaman spinner with a 2nd team average about 23 and a salary about 17,000, and he was appalling, ending up after one season with a bowling average of about 40.

yeah its an interesting thing, i like it how you dont know anything though, because its not like the australian cricket team can look at skill ratings of all its players

yeh, its very tricky. All i have to say is when your looking at young players, wages definatly mean talent. however, later on i think the wages are just based on how famous they are.

I think this is correct for homegrown players but not overseas players.

Alot of my youth players get better along with their wage.

But one season i signed Gilchrist (90k) and Tendulkar (102k) and they did terribly. Each played every county and one dayer an they averaged.

Gilchrist: OD - 17.5 / FC - 21.3
Tendulkar: OD - 22 / FC - 25.6

Users who are viewing this thread