Editor for Cricket Captain 2020 (Release)

Lenix43

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi @weetabixharry now that 2021 is out would it be possible to get an unlocked editor for the 2020 version via PM?

I've been chatting to Sureshot about the gap in ability between fringe county players and first team players and lack of development between those two points and would like to do some simple analysis into this using the simple batting and bowling ability indicators. He's confirmed no changes to this code have happened between 2020 and 2021 so my findings should still be relevant.

weetabixharry

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Hi @weetabixharry now that 2021 is out would it be possible to get an unlocked editor for the 2020 version via PM?

I've been chatting to Sureshot about the gap in ability between fringe county players and first team players and lack of development between those two points and would like to do some simple analysis into this using the simple batting and bowling ability indicators. He's confirmed no changes to this code have happened between 2020 and 2021 so my findings should still be relevant.
As far as I know, Sureshot has access to the game's source code, so in 2 minutes he would be able to tell us more than we would ever be able to tell him about this game. We are amateurs working in almost complete darkness (we have just guessed the meaning of a few bytes of data).

I think maybe one way we could help him is by providing feedback about the user experience. If you think some first team players are too strong, or fringe players are too weak, then there are heaps of statistics already available for describing that (batting averages, bowling averages, strike rates, etc). You can pass these statistics on to Sureshot and he can decide if he wants to do something about it. I can't think of any way that the Editor (or even the Scout) could really help with this.

Freetime95

School Cricketer
Some comments about the first release:
  • I need your help. There seem to be 6 types of player contract that I can't identify. Probably these are for things like IPL, Big Bash, PSL, The 100, etc. If you play these leagues, please check these "Unknown" salaries in the player's "Personal" screen and see if you can identify what each "Unknown" contract type is. Fixed in release 2020.07-02 - thanks @ahmedleo414.
View attachment 234177
  • Bug: In the "My Club" editor, the club name is only displaying correctly for English clubs. For non-English clubs, the budget editing should still work correctly (but the club name will be blank/wrong). All club names should show correctly in the "Other" club editor. @Aislabie might be interested in the "Other" Club Editor (for editing other teams' budgets). I think this has been fixed in release 2020.08-01.
View attachment 234175

• At the request of the game developers, hidden attributes (ability and potential) are not shown. I know some people (like me) want to use this feature responsibly. Therefore, I will consider privately releasing unlocked Editors to people with provably legitimate motives. (This will generally be people with long-standing PlanetCricket accounts, and/or those who have helped out with previous editors).
View attachment 234176
  • The "Global Editor" options from the 2018 Editor have not been implemented yet.

Hi Weetabix Harry, I bought ICC 2020 yesterday after I saw a link to this thread, but I didn't read it properly - I hadn't realised that the editor for it was governed. I was hoping to get an unlocked editor, that you mentioned? Not sure what I can do to prove my motives, but I want the editor to create teams of the past and grade competitions. I don't play the game online at all. Let me know if you can, or otherwise I have just wasted $20.

weetabixharry

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Hi Weetabix Harry, I bought ICC 2020 yesterday after I saw a link to this thread, but I didn't read it properly - I hadn't realised that the editor for it was governed. I was hoping to get an unlocked editor, that you mentioned? Not sure what I can do to prove my motives, but I want the editor to create teams of the past and grade competitions. I don't play the game online at all. Let me know if you can, or otherwise I have just wasted $20.
Can clarify exactly what you want to do? (And for which career/tournament mode, and which difficulty level?)

There is virtually no difference with the "unlocked" editor except that it lets you view a couple of hidden attributes. So it might not be as useful as you think it is. It mostly affects the Scout and not the Editor (because then with the Scout you can browse very approximate player abilities to help to decide who to buy for your team).

I have been looking into some features for editing historical (international) tournament games. Maybe those would help you more with what you are trying to do. It sounds like you could be another person who needs the Fixture Editor to be revived. It depends what you want to edit.

Freetime95

School Cricketer
Can clarify exactly what you want to do? (And for which career/tournament mode, and which difficulty level?)

There is virtually no difference with the "unlocked" editor except that it lets you view a couple of hidden attributes. So it might not be as useful as you think it is. It mostly affects the Scout and not the Editor (because then with the Scout you can browse very approximate player abilities to help to decide who to buy for your team).

I have been looking into some features for editing historical (international) tournament games. Maybe those would help you more with what you are trying to do. It sounds like you could be another person who needs the Fixture Editor to be revived. It depends what you want to edit.

Ah, I see - I didn't realise the fixture editor had been removed. You said that you can 'view' the player attributes - so I assume that means player attributes can't be changed, only viewed?

Oh well, it was only $20 so I haven't really wasted much. Might just have to go back to ICC 2009, I think

weetabixharry

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Ah, I see - I didn't realise the fixture editor had been removed. You said that you can 'view' the player attributes - so I assume that means player attributes can't be changed, only viewed?

Oh well, it was only $20 so I haven't really wasted much. Might just have to go back to ICC 2009, I think
The attributes can be changed in both the ordinary editor and the "unlocked" editor. The only difference in the "unlocked" editor is that you can view the values.

The fixture editor has not been removed, it just hasn't been updated since 2016. (I didn't write the fixture editor, Isura did).

I wrote the editor for ICC 2009. It's much less powerful than the 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 editors. So going back to ICC 2009 would not improve things from an editing perspective.

Freetime95

School Cricketer
The attributes can be changed in both the ordinary editor and the "unlocked" editor. The only difference in the "unlocked" editor is that you can view the values.

The fixture editor has not been removed, it just hasn't been updated since 2016. (I didn't write the fixture editor, Isura did).

I wrote the editor for ICC 2009. It's much less powerful than the 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 editors. So going back to ICC 2009 would not improve things from an editing perspective.

Okay, no worries. Thank you kindly Weetabixharry, I'll give the editor a go; hopefully serves its purpose.

Freetime95

School Cricketer

Okay, tried the editor - a bit difficult without viewing the attributes. Any chance of getting the 'unlocked' version? All good if you are not comfortable with that, I'll make do with 2009. Also, was wondering can it be used in Normal mode, or only in Easy mode and where can I download the fixture editor?

MARC CLAYDON

School Cricketer
@ahmedleo414 and @Bevab When you click "Rand", the new value is guaranteed to be between the specified "Min" and "Max" values. So, you can have a good idea of what the value is afterwards (particularly if you set Min and Max very close together). The game developers mostly don't want you to know what the original value was. So, you won't know for sure whether they got better or worse.

However, you can use these lists to get a rough idea of what the batting and bowling abilities should be set as:

Player | Batting Ability | Description
Don Bradman | 4068 | All-time greatest batsman
Virat Kohli | 1810 | Modern great batsman
Gordon Greenidge | 1536 | Top class Test batsman
Andrew Flintoff | 1181 | Useful with a bat
Vernon Philander | 867 | Bowling all-rounder
Shane Warne | 620 | Bowler
Phil Tufnell | 311 | Useless with a bat
Player | Bowling Ability | Description
Joel Garner | 460 | All-time great bowler
Richie Benaud | 699 | Top quality bowler
Imran Khan | 826 | Very good bowling all-rounder
Sourav Ganguly | 1071 | Useful occasional bowler
Geoff Boycott | 1214 | Occasional bowler
Quinton de Kock | 1507 | Doesn't bowl (wicket keeper)
Adam Gilchrist | 1751| Doesn't bowl (wicket keeper)
Personally, I would advise using this feature very sparingly, as it's easy to overdo it and upset the balance of the game. However, I respect that everyone wants to use the game differently.
Helpful gauge this. Are there any other examples that can be shared? Principally bowlers with middling averages between 26-32.in FC Cricket There is quite a jump in ability between Imran and Ganguly to be fair!

weetabixharry

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Helpful gauge this. Are there any other examples that can be shared? Principally bowlers with middling averages between 26-32.in FC Cricket There is quite a jump in ability between Imran and Ganguly to be fair!
I wouldn't read too much into these numbers. They are only intended as an extremely rough guide.

There are thousands of bytes representing each player and we're only talking about editing a couple of numbers here. If you want fine-grained control over how a player performs, then you'll need to figure out what those other thousands of other numbers are for (and that's not an easy task).

If you edit 10 different players to have exactly the same "ability" and "potential", then they are still likely to have very different batting and bowling averages across their careers.

Users who are viewing this thread