Editor for Cricket Captain 2018 (Release)

weetabixharry

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
@striker_ The first question in the FAQ is:

• Q: Can I use this editor to cheat online?
  • A: No. The editor is not compatible with any game modes eligible for online play. If you try to use the editor in Normal difficulty career mode, then it will crash. It will definitely not work correctly and could corrupt your game. Also, this is a very simple memory editor, so if it did work in multiplayer then it would be easily detected by Steam and your account would be banned.

These editors are homemade, so they have many limitations, but you are welcome to use them for free.

The only real option for a better editor is for the game's developers (Childish Things) to produce one. They would certainly be able to support editing all game modes. Over the years, there has been some direct dialogue with the game's developers about the possibility of an official editor. I suggest you renew this discussion on the Childish Things Forums and there's a good chance you will get direct contact with one of the main developers (Chris Child or Sureshot).

striker_

School Cricketer
@striker_ The first question in the FAQ is:

These editors are homemade, so they have many limitations, but you are welcome to use them for free.

The only real option for a better editor is for the game's developers (Childish Things) to produce one. They would certainly be able to support editing all game modes. Over the years, there has been some direct dialogue with the game's developers about the possibility of an official editor. I suggest you renew this discussion on the Childish Things Forums and there's a good chance you will get direct contact with one of the main developers (Chris Child or Sureshot).

They would not support the release of an official editor, as simple because if its official everyone will start using it on their games and update the databases themselves, and it would impact the sales of the newer releases of the game every year. In past, I have hosted some leagues with my friends with the official confirmation from the game developers. This time we're back again and dont have an editor this time for the newer version as the game has changed from 2014 onwards, therefore this is the reason I am contacting you to share yours. In return, I will help you to port the editor for macOS, without credits. Just let me know, if its a deal.

weetabixharry

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
They would not support the release of an official editor, as simple because if its official everyone will start using it on their games and update the databases themselves, and it would impact the sales of the newer releases of the game every year.

I don't think they're too concerned about that. In fact, they welcome help from the community to update the database each year. The problem is much simpler - they don't have the budget to spend on developing an editor. The market for cricket management games is very small and they just don't have enough revenue. The development effort that went into producing even my crappy editor was on the order of $100k. They just don't have that kind of money available.

The editor is written in C# in a very Windows-specific way. I would be more than happy to listen to any ideas you have about porting to macOS, but I think it might be more difficult than you expect. Either way, there is no "deal" to be made here. I share the editors with everyone, they are completely free to use and I accept nothing in return.

striker_

School Cricketer
I don't think they're too concerned about that. In fact, they welcome help from the community to update the database each year. The problem is much simpler - they don't have the budget to spend on developing an editor. The market for cricket management games is very small and they just don't have enough revenue. The development effort that went into producing even my crappy editor was on the order of $100k. They just don't have that kind of money available.

The editor is written in C# in a very Windows-specific way. I would be more than happy to listen to any ideas you have about porting to macOS, but I think it might be more difficult than you expect. Either way, there is no "deal" to be made here. I share the editors with everyone, they are completely free to use and I accept nothing in return.

Its alright, if you are still so much possessive about your editor, I will find other guys who can help me with the same. And I think that you're not getting my point across, what am looking from you is, just the unlocked version of the editor for organising a league. And I am not a professional programmer (but a cgi artist), so if you could provide your editor to me, I will return the favour back by working on the macOS editor. I am okay to spend my time on it, along with your share of knowledge.

weetabixharry

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
I will find other guys who can help me with the same.

I think that would be a good idea. My editor is pretty limited in what it can offer. As I said, I think the best place to try would be the Childish Things Forums.

I will return the favour back by working on the macOS editor. I am okay to spend my time on it

If you have experience with porting C# applications to macOS (particularly ones that read and write process memory), then I would be interested to hear about it. If you don't, but you have time, then it would probably only take a few months to learn. I didn't know any C# when I started working on the editor in 2009.

striker_

School Cricketer
I think that would be a good idea. My editor is pretty limited in what it can offer. As I said, I think the best place to try would be the Childish Things Forums.

If you have experience with porting C# applications to macOS (particularly ones that read and write process memory), then I would be interested to hear about it. If you don't, but you have time, then it would probably only take a few months to learn. I didn't know any C# when I started working on the editor in 2009.

I donot have any experience of developing a program however, I'd be able to read some of the language as I had Computer Science in my high school, it was long time back however I think atleast I'd be able to understand declarations, or conditions possible syntax, errors in red or wats going on.. Apparently, you'd have developed it on windows through Visual Studio or something similar, it can be done on Xcode on macOS. Let me know if you're interested in guiding me through, how can we proceed.

Users who are viewing this thread