Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

which I mostly guess it was due to the input from user.

Watching a couple of @MattW's videos, the keeper didn't touch the stumps all that much on return catches, so that bit is definitely user-input if you're fielding. But specifically vs. AI in the field it looks like too many direct-hits.

Absolutely thrilled though bowling is turning out to be a highlight, because I've hated bowling in every cricket iteration... so no pressure, guess I'll find out in a few hours!

What botheted me most from some of the footage was the AI continually edging to the keeper from a spinner...about 5 or 6 times copy/paste dismissals - im left a bit worried.

Is it with reference to that spinner video footage from one of the career modes? I guess, he bowled around 50+ overs to get those 9 wickets with overall team score going above 400 which shouldn't be a problem to get the dismissals through wicket keeper.

Have not seen any footage to get the batsmen out by bowling in same spot by the spinner & taking wickets. Not sure whether I have missed any.

I think attributes for skill and the like in fielding (catching/running) either need to be turned down drastically or the AI needs to miss the stumps more often than not... Based on the videos I've watched, too many direct hits, but it's a small thing.

and the bowlers stopping balls smashed at them or taking c&bs needs toning down a touch too, i'd add. this must be d-day for you? getting the game today?

----------

noticed also in one video, they have one animation for both umpires...

before a ball is bowled you see the umpire at the non-strikers end holding his arm out to halt the bowler, batsman looks around the field and you see the square-leg umpire doing the same. ridiculously minor thing, of course. but ruined the verisimilitude for me. (didn't at all of course, i just stuck that in for @NoLeName)

In that video and all others i have watched, why does a throw to wicket keeper or bowler always have them whipping the stumps of even tho batsman is well safe.
That is so annoying.:mad

Yeah i noticed that too and came here to comment. At 8.25 sec mark the wicket keeper and slip fielder tries to hit the bails 3 times even though the batsman was inside the crease...

Absolutely thrilled though bowling is turning out to be a highlight, because I've hated bowling in every cricket iteration... so no pressure, guess I'll find out in a few hours!

Watched Twistie's video a minute ago the johnson bowled wicket i was like ' OMG what a ball!' lol

I think attributes for skill and the like in fielding (catching/running) either need to be turned down drastically or the AI needs to miss the stumps more often than not... Based on the videos I've watched, too many direct hits, but it's a small thing.

True that. You know the fielders are running too fast when a fielder at long off can field a powerful shot at long on.

bowlers stopping balls smashed at them or taking c&bs needs toning down a touch too, i'd add. this must be d-day for you? getting the game today?

I haven't seen any videos related to that, but to be honest I'm being reasonably selective about what I'm watching because, surprises. But, from what I can tell a little bit of work to do regarding AI fielding and making them a little less super-human could be included in a patch, we'll see. It's perhaps related to the stats used in the Academy. I'm going to play with the on-disc teams first before I download any to test this theory...

...and yeah, about to go 8am here in NZ, so quick bike-ride to work, coffee and then straight down to EB Games. If they don't have the Steelbook I'm torching the store.

and the bowlers stopping balls smashed at them or taking c&bs needs toning down a touch too, i'd add.

Agree 100%. The only thing that is detracting from the game for me is the super-human fielding and constant (and insanely accurate) throws at the stumps. Really needs to be toned down.

I loved that abt IC2010 too.... i haven't seen singles of defensive shots in the videos i hv seen so far....

I have done just one defense shot for a single in about 8 games played so no this is something for Bigant to do in the next game.

It's a better game than IC2010 in most ways but not all and i do feel for there first game they got so much right against what is not so good.

----------

Wides in oneday games far to many at the moment, the no balls in the game are ace(One every 10 to 20 overs). Still i can't wait to see a cricket game get Byes/Leg Byes right, i thought maybe this game but just Wides/No balls and 1 bye so far.:spy

Try playing defensive shots with trigger pressed half way. Personally I do think there should have been some seperate animation for simple pushes and nudges. Something in between a drive and block as drives feel too powerful and blocking the ball just kills it in the spot.

Next iteration maybe :)

@Biggs, are you in the NI or SI? Im waiting on mine to be delivered. Aparently the courier has mine, i can just imagine him driving past my house and going "one quick match wont hurt" and keeping it for himself haha

@glenny134 North Island. You on PS3 or XBOX? I need to grab some folks usernames soon... My EB guy confirmed to me they'd have it first thing this morning via courier, I'll check just after 9am.

Invite the courier in for a match!!

Try playing defensive shots with trigger pressed half way. Personally I do think there should have been some seperate animation for simple pushes and nudges. Something in between a drive and block as drives feel too powerful and blocking the ball just kills it in the spot.

Next iteration maybe :)

Yes that's how i did one, wen't as far as cover or so. I will try more, been up all day and night and i need sleep but just one more go.:yes

----------

@glenny134 North Island. You on PS3 or XBOX? I need to grab some folks usernames soon... My EB guy confirmed to me they'd have it first thing this morning via courier, I'll check just after 9am.

Enjoy Biggs. It's a tough game on pro.

PS3... username is glenny134

Iv got today and tomorrow off, so after a bit of practice i might have to spank you like a naughty schoolgirl*

*but not what happend after that in the movie

If I taken anything from this thread, it's that I'm not going to bother downloading any teams from the academy until the first patch is released. The supposition that a lot of the superhuman fielding (and potentially other abnormal behaviour) is due to poor representation and balancing of CA stats seems to be plausible to me. That's not to mention the way it botches career mode.

Real players and likenesses will be a treat once the first patch is released - probably just in time for the build up to the summer tests. Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread