Don Bradman Cricket 17 First Impressions Thread

If I counted all the hours I played DB14 my wife would weep. I have now put a fair few hours into this and these are my thoughts, for what they are worth!

• Graphics are improved
  • Bowling is a lot more fun, and this was my 'thing' in DB14.
  • Batting seems to be the same, pretty much (maybe because i was never very good at it)
  • The commentary still sucks. Not only does it say the wrong things at the wrong time, they repeat lines word for word from the old script. Does Big Ant realise how many times we have listened to this already? it's like being jolted back into a bad dream. i keep thinking i'm going to hear the bloke tell James Taylor 'that's why they pay you the big bucks'.
  • Generally fielding for me has gone backwards. It seems that if a fielder 'knows' there is another behind him he'll just watch the ball go by. Fielders in the deep seem to run in for a catch and then stop short and let the ball drop. I hate the slow motion thing, it seems like it takes all the reaction out of a reaction catch, which makes no sense, and if you miss it the fielders tend to stand around watching it dribble to the boundary while the batsmen run for 5. setting fields is a massive pain in the backside too, they seem to change without warning and sometimes they refuse to accept the same custom made field for both batsmen.This is my biggest bugbear with the game
  • Close fielding has improved enormously and that was my biggest bugbear about DB14!
  • I have started a career and am several years in, I have only played t20 matches and i am doing well in the IPL but I haven't played any kind of county cricket. this makes no sense!
  • there still loads of other bugs in it, one of the IPL teams, Delhi, I think, had the Trinidad logo for example.
  • loading times are bloody long
  • the downloaded teams are full of duplicates etc
  • replays for caught behinds are still shown from side on (am i missing a setting here?)
I don't think Big Ant deserve the flak that they are getting from some people, but there is a lot of work to be done. I have asked myself if this is really a £50 game, and if I am honest it is probably not, but then I am happy that someone is doing what BA are trying to do and I see it as a kind of crowd funding investment, so as long as they continue to listen and patch the game (which they have a track record of doing) I will be happy.

Last edited:
I played my first online game today and I have to accept I had absolutely no clue what was going on. The opponent had a team of world beaters. I started with an Indian team in which Rahul opened the bating.. lol.. Won the toss and opted to bowl, my first mistake. I didn't get a chance to change field, I think may be coz of the 30 sec restriction. The default field positions are terrible. The first ball I bowled was given 8 runs where it went for a boundary. My opponent started whacking with Gayle and DuPlessis to same parts of the pitch. I didn't get enough time to see how many overs the game is supposed to be. Ran out of time,every time I tried to do something to stem the run flow. Duplessis hit 70 of 20 balls.. I was waiting for the game to end and just went through the motions until the nightmare was over as I didn't want to be rude to my opponent by disconnecting the middle of the game. To my luck, it was just a 5 over game. Lesson learnt, do not touch online unless you are playing a chap you knew and is helping you understand online game play mechanics.

Last edited:
I played my first online game today and I had to accept I had absolutely no clue what was going on. The opponent had a team of world beaters. I started with an Indian team in which Rahul opening opened the bating.. lol.. Won the toss and opted to bowl, my first mistake. I didn't get a chance to change field, I think may be coz of the 30 sec restriction. The default field positions are terrible. The first ball I bowled was given 8 runs where it went for a boundary. My opponent started whacking with Gayle and Du Plessis to same parts of the pitch. I didn't get enough time to see how many overs the game is supposed to be. Ran out of time,every time I tried to do something to stem the run flow. Duplessis hit 70 of 20 balls.. I was waiting for the game to end and just went through the motions until the nightmare was over as I didn't want to be rude to my opponent by disconnecting the middle of the game. To my luck, it was just a 5 over game. Lesson learnt, do not touch online unless you are playing a chap you knew and is helping you understand online game play mechanics.
In such cases where the opponent has overpowered players and has smacked all around regardless of how you bowl, the method of response by me was to go all defensive, play the five over for say 12/0..Have done this in DBC 14.:p

In such cases where the opponent has overpowered players and has smacked all around regardless of how you bowl, the method of response by me was to go all defensive, play the five over for say 12/0..Have done this in DBC 14.:p

As I said, I didnt want to take out the fun factor for which we actually play the game.., I just played the best I could giving up on the options I had at my disposal. I scored 50 odd runs in response to his 100 odd. :) But yeah, not going to go online for a while, after that experience..

As I said, I didnt want to take out the fun factor for which we actually play the game.., I just played the best I could giving up on the options I had at my disposal. I scored 50 odd runs in response to his 100 odd. :) But yeah, not going to go online for a while, after that experience..
I agree mate, get someone you know to play with..I have had session with people just to make them learn stuff, say spin and in bowling the variations with the combination of jump and release without any sort of exploit playing it the cricketer way in DBC 14..That was the best part for me..

I agree mate, get someone you know to play with..I have had session with people just to make them learn stuff, say spin and in bowling the variations with the combination of jump and release without any sort of exploit playing it the cricketer way in DBC 14..That was the best part for me..
Sure, Yes. I need to find some one as generous as you on Xbox to help me around or give me enough time to explore the options available when playing online.. Otherwise, its too over whelming to jump straight online and play this game unlike other games..

Sure, Yes. I need to find some one as generous as you on Xbox to help me around or give me enough time to explore the options available when playing online.. Otherwise, its too over whelming to jump straight online and play this game unlike other games..
Would suggest having a career as allrounder to get the hang of the variations in all departments and also for field setup, have your plan first in terms of region both in batting and bowling, consistency in executing it , once thats set then tweak according to the opponent strength in game...If you start off with the opponent play he/she can easily own you in the game...So first get your strong suit list and set a field accordingly then execute it on consistent basis..

Mainly in bowling vary a lot, experiment in same length variations first also with the shorter pitch and longer pitch triggers which IMO are very vital ones to use more than slow and fast ball...

Would suggest having a career as allrounder to get the hang of the variations in all departments and also for field setup, have your plan first in terms of region both in batting and bowling, consistency in executing it , once thats set then tweak according to the opponent strength in game...If you start off with the opponent play he/she can easily own you in the game...So first get your strong suit list and set a field accordingly then execute it on consistent basis..

Mainly in bowling vary a lot, experiment in same length variations first also with the shorter pitch and longer pitch triggers which IMO are very vital ones to use more than slow and fast ball...
I did play a career as a batting allrounder for couple of days and got used to the gameplay mechanics.. But yeah, need to practice a hell lot to read the line and length while batting. I am fairly comfortable with bowling at this point of time. I jumped on to quick online game today just to test the waters of how competitive and satisfying it is to play this game with another human opponent.

On another note, which camera do you use while batting in your career and what difficulty of batting and bowling ?

I did play a career as a batting allrounder for couple of days and got used to the gameplay mechanics.. But yeah, need to practice a hell lot to read the line and length while batting. I am fairly comfortable with bowling at this point of time. I jumped on to quick online game today just to test the waters of how competitive and satisfying it is to play this game with another human opponent.

On another note, which camera do you use while batting in your career and what difficulty of batting and bowling ?
On DBC 14 on close cam all...Havent got DBC 17 yet..

Came back to Essex vs Kent on patch 2 as a MkII experiment.

Managed to take 4 wickets before the game crashed in the 29th due to a chance at silly point. Anyways...

Porter took 3 wickets exactly the same way which makes me worry there is an exploit. I was bowling to 6-3 field with leg-side fielders being mid-on, deep fine leg, square leg and all three times Porter bowled fullish in-swingers on off stump and he was chipped to square leg all three times. All three wickets felt the same and not really earned of through smart bowling or anything and it seemed a weird way for all the Kent top 3 to perish.

Did get a beauty for my 4th wicket though as I slowed down their attacking batsman and then ended up getting him knicking off to gully. That one felt earned.

Then crash.

Came back to Essex vs Kent on patch 2 as a MkII experiment.

Managed to take 4 wickets before the game crashed in the 29th due to a chance at silly point. Anyways...

Porter took 3 wickets exactly the same way which makes me worry there is an exploit. I was bowling to 6-3 field with leg-side fielders being mid-on, deep fine leg, square leg and all three times Porter bowled fullish in-swingers on off stump and he was chipped to square leg all three times. All three wickets felt the same and not really earned of through smart bowling or anything and it seemed a weird way for all the Kent top 3 to perish.

Did get a beauty for my 4th wicket though as I slowed down their attacking batsman and then ended up getting him knicking off to gully. That one felt earned.

Then crash.
What format was this a County game or limited overs?

This was a First Class match so, given that it was the first morning of the game, there was no real reason for players to go at the ball etc.
Oops sorry I must be tired I thought I read a crash... I haven't been able to play a county match yet. However, they should have a standard pace. Hope this is rectified in the next patch.

So I finally picked up my PS4 version and the game overall has been good and not as bad as 90% of the members are here making it out to be. The graphics are amazing and the gameplay isn't too bad either, obviously a few touches here and there would make it perfect. But I'm facing this issue with career mode, this has happened multiple times to me, despite timing the ball well and having good footwork I seem to get out 80% of the times?

Users who are viewing this thread