Don Bradman Cricket PS4/Xbox One version discussion

Are you going to get the game for PS4/Xbox One?

• Yes - on PS4

Votes: 97 55.1%
  • Yes - on Xbox One

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Yes - on both

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 29.0%

• Total voters
This works for a big developer/publisher such as EA but not feasible for Big Ant.
Works out very well for EA when they shut down online services after a game is a few years old to get you to buy their new ones. Less so for consumers.

@Chief, did AC09 use P2P or hosted a dedicated server(s)?
It would have had a match-making server for PC and PS3, while Xbox Live servers covered that for the 360 version - which is why online still works on the 360 version of AC09/IC10 but not the PS3 or PC version.

I believe Sony have moved to a similar model and the Steam platform provides that stuff on PC (AC09 wasn't a Steamworks game) - so future games should be in a better situation in the long run.

Just have a look at how many pages of google search matches there are for "FIFA online bugs" (or pretty much any of their games). You might also have a look at how they supported their Cricket games in the past.

Fact is that there is no solution to bugs caused by external forces - the game works perfectly well under good network conditions. The only solution is to get a better network. My net connection at home drops quite a bit, so I generally don't bother trying to play games where any drops might cause problems (pretty much any AAA game.)
I have a few EA Sports games example NHL 15 and they work fine I can't say that I have ever came across a problem so they are doing something right, FIFA can lag at rare times. I had cricket games in the past but 07 I think was there last attempt saying that its almost 10 years ago I remember playing it but never online. so I wouldn't class that as a slap in the face I didn't think it was offensive, its where you see your company and where would you like it to be in 10 years time. Its a great game at the end of the day all said and done and if it wasn't then I wouldn't be here pushing for it to succeed. Just connection problems and glitches haven't done it any justice and when you ask for advice to resolve it I wasn't expecting a run down on sales and advice on how it works.

FIFA works fine in UK when it cam be bothered too. Madden is more laggy than FIFA i find this season.

I have a few EA Sports games example NHL 15 and they work fine I can't say that I have ever came across a problem so they are doing something right, FIFA can lag at rare times.

They are doing a lot of smoke and mirrors which hide any brief drops in connection - Best way to see this is to play it over Skype against someone. You'll see that the two games don't match up: you're seeing something different to them.

They are doing a lot of smoke and mirrors which hide any brief drops in connection - Best way to see this is to play it over Skype against someone. You'll see that the two games don't match up: you're seeing something different to them.
I don’t know Chief never tried the Skype way. I mean EA are not perfect I am sure but the fact is there leading the market in sports I can’t say I have found an issue I would be lying if I did. I think you see the potential of games like Bradman and its good someone else has thrown there hat in the ring because I would imagine cricket to translate that into a game is an art within itself and I hope it doesn’t resort to annual release I know fans are eager but one thing with FIFA is when do you have time to finish a career in a year before the next instalment is out. So in a way it’s a repackaged game with updated teams that’s my problem with the FIFA series if I had to find something.

FIFA's budget for online play being likely much higher than the budget of the whole of DBC is probably the main factor.

Fairer comparisons are with the other companies making the second tier sports that EA don't touch - HB Studios just launched a rugby union game without online play at the same/similar price (depending on region/platform) as DBC14, Big Ant are doing pretty well by comparison.

I don’t know Chief never tried the Skype way. I mean EA are not perfect I am sure but the fact is there leading the market in sports I can’t say I have found an issue I would be lying if I did. I think you see the potential of games like Bradman and its good someone else has thrown there hat in the ring because I would imagine cricket to translate that into a game is an art within itself and I hope it doesn’t resort to annual release I know fans are eager but one thing with FIFA is when do you have time to finish a career in a year before the next instalment is out. So in a way it’s a repackaged game with updated teams that’s my problem with the FIFA series if I had to find something.

Hence what I love about Big Ant's approach: They aren't just pumping out a version every year and they are continuing to support the original release. Which is why it's a bit of a slap in the face to point at the EA approach and suggest that they should study that. :)

If you pump out a new version with minimal improvement every year to a MASSIVE market like Football fans... THAT's when you have a development budget that's about 25 times that of a Cricket game... :)

Hence what I love about Big Ant's approach: They aren't just pumping out a version every year and they are continuing to support the original release. Which is why it's a bit of a slap in the face to point at the EA approach and suggest that they should study that. :)

If you pump out a new version with minimal improvement every year to a MASSIVE market like Football fans... THAT's when you have a development budget that's about 25 times that of a Cricket game... :)
No EA’s approach to playing online not there annually release roster that was my point. (lost in translation):facepalm

No EA’s approach to playing online not there annually release roster that was my point. (lost in translation):facepalm

Well, it's kinda tied to Matt's point: EA's $100m development budget gives them quite a bit of wiggle room...

Pretty sure that if a Cricket game sold $500m worth of units every single year we'd have found a solution to smooth online play.

Well, it's kinda tied to Matt's point: EA's $100m development budget gives them quite a bit of wiggle room...
Could Big Ant cut a deal with EA? Ant makes the games and EA runs online with a small percentage it would market Big Ant more globally and boost sales. I suppose it wouldn't be impossible or to far fetched

FIFA and Madden are total online. Server issues, disconnects on FUT, kicking lag on Madden, a massive host advantage on the games. EA are far from flawless online, yet i'm still compelled to give them lots of money... I need help

Last edited by a moderator:
Could Big Ant cut a deal with EA? Ant makes the games and EA runs online with a small percentage it would market Big Ant more globally and boost sales. I suppose it wouldn't be impossible or to far fetched

I don't think you're getting the problem. Basically for the DBC controls system to work online, you'd need to either dumb it down to make it simpler or (more probably) introduce some sort of delay in between bowling and batting. There's just not enough time in between so that a delay in the communications would not affect the outcome.

I believe Sony have moved to a similar model and the Steam platform provides that stuff on PC (AC09 wasn't a Steamworks game) - so future games should be in a better situation in the long run.

Would be great if that happens and we can still play DBC 14 online on PS3 a few years down the line.

Fairer comparisons are with the other companies making the second tier sports that EA don't touch - HB Studios just launched a rugby union game without online play at the same/similar price (depending on region/platform) as DBC14, Big Ant are doing pretty well by comparison.

Also keep in mind that Rugby 15 and World Cup 2011 both received terrible critical reviews, while Don Bradman cricket has done well.

I don't think you're getting the problem. Basically for the DBC controls system to work online, you'd need to either dumb it down to make it simpler or (more probably) introduce some sort of delay in between bowling and batting. There's just not enough time in between so that a delay in the communications would not affect the outcome.
Well its boiled down to a scenario where it’s ok to criticise EA but not Big Ant and I can’t do much with bias behaviour because it’s looking past faults and overlooking them to please a person’s view. Positive criticism was the angle but Big Ant are too well defended and I have past caring, But yes I see the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread