EA and pre-release interview honesty

afridi118 said:
what he say just think that its going to be in the other version like he said 2004 he means 2005 we are going to put these kinda stuff thats ok workes dont work hard go hang out with yur girl friend we have one year to think we wll add these stuff in later

thats wht might he think who andrew wilson

What???

afridi118 said:
what he say just think that its going to be in the other version like he said 2004 he means 2005 we are going to put these kinda stuff thats ok workes dont work hard go hang out with yur girl friend we have one year to think we wll add these stuff in later

that doesnt make any sense. what does his girl friend have to do with anything?

afridi118 said:

again theres just no connection to anything at all?

afridi118 said:
You're not even trying to speak correctly, are you. You know you can do better - just at least put some effort into it. If this were a Pakistani-speaking forum, I'd try to put together something that Pakistani readers would understand. Just show us the same courtesy.

people at ea are nothing but a bunch of lairs.

If they implemented these new feature with some good gameplay,still this game can beat brian lara in many departments.

Read his last line : My job depends on you buying it (DUH!)

You all have been missing the point i have been trying to tell you for a LONG time. Why buy the game? All you are doing is supporting EA to make more sh*tty games like that. If u absolutly must play it, go to a friend's house or something,

IF U HATE EA AS MUCH AS YOU SAY WHY BUY THEIR GAMES?

agree too that EA is selling us a bad product but dont forget that this time he is not boosting about cricket 2005 as much as he did for c2k4. secondly i didnt see any vids before buying c2k4 only screenshots where as c2k5 looks decent, the vids do show some bugs which were not as bad as c2k4

anyways ill be buying this n BLIC coz the next cricket game will come down after a long long time

Could you tell us what your role is with regard to Cricket 2004 and what exactly does your job entail?

I am lucky enough to head up the franchise. So I get to be involved in all elements of the cricket franchise including licensing, development and marketing.

How long have you been working on the EA Cricket series? Are you a big cricket fan?

I have had involvement for about 3 years. I love cricket...I am Australian after all. We all love cricket (laughs)

What would you call the main additions in Cricket 2004 over 2002?

There are truckloads of additions, but the one that people are going to notice straight off is the inclusion of the English and Australian domestic teams. You can play an in-depth domestic season with your favorite county team for example. We also have implemented detailed season play and touring other countries. We also have an awesome player editor that lets you really tailor not only the look of your player, but more importantly his playing ability.

Weve heard you have something called the World League. Is this only for the English and Australian club teams or can we choose international sides as well?

This mode involves management aspects such as buying and selling players along with playing matches. Since this cannot be implemented for International sides, currently this feature supports only the domestic teams.

What are the minimum and the recommended system requirements for the PC version?

We are still optimising the code for the PC version but it is going to end up somewhere close to a P II 500/64MB Ram/32MB video card/Win98/Me/XP for the minimum requirements and as for the recommended, as with all games, the better your hardware the better Cricket 2004 will perform.

When are the official release dates for each of the Cricket 2004 versions in the UK, Australia, Asia and SA on both PC and PS2?

I believe the release date in the Southern hemisphere is currently set at Dec 7. The UK team is still deciding on a ship date in the UK. We are working hard to get the game to our customers in the UK as soon as possible.

About the release dates, often developers have different release dates for various platforms like PC and PS2. Is Cricket 2004 being released on Dec 7 for both PC and PS2?

We are looking to get the PS2 version out by Dec 7 and the scheduled date for the PC version is Dec 12 for the Southern hemisphere.

Do you have a specific Indian/Pakistan release, like for example with its own box shot and so on, or will it be a common version that is sold all over the Southern hemisphere ?

We currently have no plans for specific releases.

If the game keeps to the scheduled release date of Dec 12 can we expect a demo 2-3 weeks before Dec 12? Any time frame for a demo would be great.

We are currently on a very tight development schedule, but will be working to get a demo out before launch.

Has the long 18 month development cycle enabled you to put in a lot more stuff that would be possible for a yearly update? Can we expect some drastic improvements?

Definitelywe have put in loads more content and also taken the opportunity to refine gameplay. Some of the little niggling things from 2002 have been fixed for 2004. e.g.: the wicket keeper now fields the ball.

What new International teams and Leagues will be included?

There are all the domestic English and Australian teams and leagues included as well as a number of new foreign tours.

What are some of the new tournaments this year particularly with the anticipated introduction of domestic teams?

ING and PURA Milk Cups, county tournaments in the UK, full foreign tours such as to the subcontinent and the Windies.

Will there be some kind of test match season or tours where players suffer injuries/fitness problems etc?

Yes there sure will. Something we wanted to include this year was a fitness model. You will now have players getting injured during tours and you will have to make changes accordingly, bringing in a strategy element. Yes, we also have a test match season.

How about the editing options for users? Will we be able to add/create tournaments for example? Youve mentioned the player editor as one of the best new features in Cricket 2004. What, if any are the new player attributes added in Cricket 2004? Will there be separate player and team editors? Will there be more player rating attributes and how will they affect game-play?

The answer to this would take me an age to answer, so I will try to summarize. There are a variety of options within all tournaments. You can choose the teams, the venues and so on for many tournaments. As for player editor, I love this. It is going to take gamers a long time to actually build players because there are so many stats to get into when it comes to their playing attributes. As I mentioned previously, its not just the appearances you can modify but the extensive batting and bowling attributes. Weve also incorporated some interesting player characteristics Im sure players will love. All of these attributes will greatly affect game-play.

Weather and the pitch play a crucial part in real-life cricket. Do they play a role in Cricket 2004 too? If so, could you give us an example of how this works in Cricket 2004?

Yes, both play a part. Pitch wear will affect how the ball bounces, swings, spins etc. Rain will also play a big part in the flow of play. We were unable to include rain in Cricket 2002 but were happy to inform everyone that the DL rule has been fully implemented in Cricket 2004 and rain will as you pointed out, realistically affect gameplay.

Graphics

How will the PC version differ from the PS2 version? Do they both use the same game engine? Has the engine been improved from 2002 or has it been completely redone?

We have used RENDERWARE as our base platform so graphics are improved. The PC and PS2 use the same engine; however as would be expected, a high end PC will handle the graphics better.

If Im not mistaken, Rugby 2004 also used the Renderware engine, didnt it? The graphics in that game werent received well..

Renderware is one of the premier tools for high-end game development and weve used our experience gained with Rugby 2004 and the additional development time available for Cricket 2004 to eliminate any problems. Im confident that you will find Cricket 2004 to be vastly superior to Cricket 2002 graphically especially with some of the new flashy stuff weve thrown in this time (laughs)

What are the improvements this time around with the graphics? Player models weren't too realistic last time. Have they been improved? Will there be a single player model or separate models for each player like most other sports games?

There are all new player models and there are a variety of body typesthis will be seen best in the player editor.

So that means we will at last have a stocky Tendulkar?

Yep, you sure will (laughs again)

Will you have realistic player likenesses?

Time does not permit us to give each player an exact likeness but most of the major players have been covered thoroughly by our graphics team.

Will we see any cinematics like other EA games for milestones like 100s or winning trophies?

There are a number of cut scenes throughout gameplay. We do not have the same level of these as some of our other EA Sports games as we do not have the team resources to spend as much time on this.

How many camera views have been implemented? Could you specify any new ones?

Think television broadcastwe have tried to capture all the usual ones you see on TV as well as including a new roaming camera.

Will you have up-to-date player kits, logos, sponsors etc?

Yes. We have licenses for the ECB, ACB, NZ and SA teams and they will have accurate kits and so on.

What about the motion capture? It was one of the weaker parts of Cricket 2002. Were any professional cricketers consulted at any point during development to improve this?

Yesthats another thing we focused our attention on. We have done all new motion capture and have been working with our licensed teams throughout development.

Can you go into a little about some of the newer animations in the game?

We spent 3 full days in the mo-cap studio capturing madly. We have truckloads (laughs) Im sure that it will satisfy most players.

Gameplay

Are there any changes to the controls? Any additional keys / features compared to Cricket 2002?

Control system works very similar to 2002just a few new additions that affect how they operate. E.g. batsman courage, (represented by user interface in top left corner of the screen), that affects how batsman face different bowlers. A tail ender facing McGrath will have low courage and as such will be harder to get to hit the ball.

The batsman courage seems a great idea!

Can fast bowlers finally bowl really fast? Like 94+ mph and can they swing the ball?

Yes, yes and yes. Satisfied? Seewe do listen to our customers (chuckles)

AI is always an issue in sports games these days. What changes to the computer offensive and defensive AI will be made to the game? Will the AI play according to the situation? Suppose they lose 3 early wickets in a test will they start playing cautiously? Or if they got off to a great start will they will the bat about a little later on?

We have implemented a great deal of new AI to combat this. I am sure that there is always room for improvement in this area, but we have focused on it a lot. Each individual's extensive player stats will control how they perform in different situations. A player with a defensive mindset will try to preserve his wicket for example.

How have you dealt with yorker bug? It was easy to bowl out the CPU in hard mode by constantly bowling yorkers and the only way to score runs against yorkers was to sweep the yorkers ! If it has been remedied, what specifically has been done to remedy this?

We have implemented a system whereby if a player continually tries to bowl a yorker, it will spray the bowling cursor all over the place so that you cannot always bowl yorkers. That sounds a little erraticit is more controlled than it sounds, but a little hard to explain in 20 words or less. It works well though.

Has the number of choosable difficulty levels been increased from 3 to accommodate more experienced users? Is hard really hard now? Most people thought the game was much too easy at the highest difficulty

There are still 3 levels, but hard is much harder. We have tried to space the difficulty levels to meet the needs of all our users from our younger age groups and casual gamers to the hardcore cricketers.

Do you have misfields/overthrows/manual appeals etc? They seem too common a part of the game the leave out.

Yes, lots of misfields and overthrows depending on player ability within the stat database. There is no manual appeal at this stage.

In Cricket 2002 the wicketkeeper would never run up and pick up the ball even if he was the only player close to the ball. We had to wait for one of the other fielders to throw it to the wicketkeeper. Thats not too realistic. Have you sorted out this wicket keeper problem?

I am pleased to say that we certainly have.

What about for example, when you turned back in the middle of a run both batsmen would run to the same end. It didnt get you out but wasnt too heartening to look at.

It has also been fixed.

Is any kind of career or franchise mode implemented? Can you play a whole season of tests and ODIs with a team?

Sure can. Im really proud to say that weve added greatly to the depth and wealth of gaming options and gamers will be occupied for many, many hours.

Does the CPU still never bowl no balls?

Given the new stat databasethere will be no balls.

Is the bowling method the same as Cricket 2002 with the wheel and cursor mechanism?

This has been modified/refinedmade more user friendly.

Could you elaborate a bit on how exactly the bowling wheel has been modified to make it user friendly?

Its again quite difficult to explain in words but we have certainly looked into improving this

Has manual fielding improved compared to Cricket 2002?

Oh yeswe spent a long time with this as it was an area that needed addressing. Weve just recently further optimized this aspect to make it even more fun and easy to use.

What would you say is the single most important improvement to game-play?

The way in which the new detailed stats affect gameplay. I also love how the batting feels this time around.

Misc

What improvements have been made to the audio in the game?

We have recorded heaps of new commentary by Jim Maxwell and Ritchie Benaud and new crowd sounds.

Are all Graphics cards supported? S3 Pro Savage cards weren't fully compatible with Cricket 2002.

We have not finalized all cards yetit will be subject to the configuration run but we will try to support all major cards and manufacturers..

Will it be possible to play 2 players without requiring a gamepad/joystick using just the keyboard?

This all depends on the particular keyboard. Some keyboards will not support pushing down more than 3 keys at once.

Have you implemented online play?

Not this time around. We wanted to focus on really getting the gameplay right and then work on online play next time. We wanted to make a truly fun and enjoyable game for cricket lovers and I think weve done that!

Can the mouse be used to play like in Cricket 2000?

Only in the front end, but not during the game.

We heard you've increased the number of stadiums from 22 to 75.Any way we can edit or create even more stadiums? Maybe a stadium editor feature?

Are 75 not enough? We focused on the player editor this time. There has not been a great demand for a stadium editor. If we see the demand we will certainly look at it.

Will the file formats for graphics and other files remain the same as for Cricket2002 on the PC?

Yes, they will be similar.

Is there a detailed stat tracker?

YepI love it. It tracks just about everything.

Can we save replays?

Sorry nothis was one of those things that didnt make it. With the limited development time and other issues we had to deal with we were not able to include this feature this year.

Final Words

What feature are you most excited about?

The season mode.

What were some of the oddest feature/gameplay things that you guys didn't get in the game? Something in the preliminary stages that fell through the cracks or was saved for another game down the road?

Taking Bribes (laughs)

What's the status of the game right now? Are you having your testers look for bugs and making some corrections?

We are now well into our test phase. We have a big team of guys working on it.

How do you all balance that fine line of making the game appealing to both the casual gamer and the hardcore gamer?

This is a very difficult thing for sports games. We have tried to making getting into a quick game as easy as possible while ensuring that a die hard cricket fan can play out season after season with all the strategic intricacies that it involves.

How much do you listen to Cricket gamers, and are you able to integrate any of their suggestions into the new version?

They are our life bloodnot to mention that we are all cricket gamers ourselves. Many members of the development team have been building cricket games for nearly ten years. So we try and integrate as much as possible. There are always things that we would love to get in, but realise that there is a lot of work relative to the affect on gameplay so we focus on something else instead.

Who is the best Cricket 2002/04 player at the EA Australia development team?

(Laughs and thinks for a while) I think that you would be hard pressed to beat Jeremy Wellard. He heads up HB Studios the team that has developed both of these games. He is the man when it comes to cricket games!

Thank you for your time. Is there anything else about the game youd like to mention that we didnt touch on?

Please buy cricket 2004my job depends on itand I am not joking.

kind of same thing like colin said but some more line ;) :rolleyes: :noway :D :eek:

Sorry for the ma-husive bump.

But I thought I should post this in the thread it started in.

Thank you for your time. Is there anything else about the game you?d like to mention that we didn?t touch on?

Please buy cricket 2004?my job depends on it?and I am not joking.

You can whine about Cricket 2004 and 2005 all you want, but he HAS lost his job as head of EA Cricket games, so you must think they do try their hardest each time or they get the chop

Well actually Andrew got a promotion looking after some of EA's bigger franchises

Users who are viewing this thread