England In India - October 2011/12

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Great to see Bairstow do well. The quality is there in County cricket, they just need a chance to prove it. The new wave is coming, Ian Bell and Samit Patel your time is up and KP needs to up his game too. Hopefully Stokes can get back to bowling fitness and we can get rid of the passengers in this form of the game. For the first time in a long time I'm excited by what this team can do, if we give the likes of Bairstow, Buttler, Stokes, Finn and Borthwick/Briggs a chance.

ferg512

International Coach
Well, what the heck did India expect when they pick guys like Vinay Kumar. I really don't know where India go from here, no doubt BCCI will try and push this under the rug. Its not going to get any easier for them in regards to the bowling. Varun must already have a few enemies or something, there was no reason not to play the guy. Like someone said earlier they'll probably play him in some ODIs on the pancakes back in India and he'll get hammered and they'll do away with him.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors

And you say I'm a Clarke fan boy :D Dravid's been at the very least solid, and at times very good in ODIs. He's a champ.

Following today's win, England leapfrog India to fourth place in the ICC ODI rankings. Awesome.

Yeah that surprised me when I read the headline. The WC winner down 5th already? Are WC games not given extra weight in the rankings? I think they should be. Either way, it's all pretty close in 2nd-5th, so it doesn't really mean too much.

s2sschan

Club Cricketer
Worst Tour

Anyways, good that the tour is over. Now these guys will dash off to the CLT20 and everything will be forgotten until we tour Australia!

Won't be Forgotten at all!

Indian Cricket Team's Worst Cricket Tour!

Looks like in the end they just did not want to be there. Which is fine, if they feel so burnt out they should rule themselves out.

In the 80's and 90's Indian Players used to constantly whine about money.

Now they whine about the schedule and make millions off it.

Deeply disappointed with Indian Cricketers and their lack of strength and fitness.

BCCI ai't the devil it's made out to be. Our Cricketers are talented but mostly slackers.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Well, what the heck did India expect when they pick guys like Vinay Kumar. I really don't know where India go from here, no doubt BCCI will try and push this under the rug. Its not going to get any easier for them in regards to the bowling. Varun must already have a few enemies or something, there was no reason not to play the guy. Like someone said earlier they'll probably play him in some ODIs on the pancakes back in India and he'll get hammered and they'll do away with him.

Our fast bowling cupboard looks pretty embarassing, and we dont want to blood guys at the right time. The way some of us Indian fans clamor for Varun Aaron, other fans have already started feeling as if we are overhyping him. But NO!!! Its because of the team's inability to give him chances at the right time, the clamor for him grows loud. Poor guy, when he comes in, he will face big pressure and probably might not succeed immediately.

We still had bright spots in the ODI's with Parthiv, Rahane, Jadeja & Ashwin. But not blooding Aaron in early is a big mistake.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Congrats to England fans here for fabulous performance of their team and congratulation to Indians for the tour is over :p.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I actually see this tour doing some good to the Indian team in the future. I mean, according to me, these youngsters have played very well. Rahane, Parthiv, Raina, Jadeja, Ashwin have all impressed. It's not only about winning, beating England in England was never going to be easy and doing so after losing the test series 4-0 was even more difficult. Now, even though apart from Raina, the rest young players didn't take part in the test series but still the Indian team was on a low and they were hit by some very poor performances from the players who they really trusted. But these young guys, forgot the test series and played really well. The problem for us was bowling, I wanted to see Indian team batting 2nd in one of the matches as batting was our strength but I don't think that happened. The problem with us was the bowling and not giving Varun a chance was really shocking.

When Dhoni knew our trusted bowlers like RP and Munaf weren't taking the wickets. Why didn't he give Varun a chance? This ODI series was all about trying and testing the young players for future and sadly this didn't happen with Varun. I'm really disappointed with Dhoni's decision about not giving Varun a single chance. We had already lost the one day series and it's the fact that Vinay just isn't good enough for international level at the moment. He just gets a bit too carried away with the match situation. In yesterday's match, he was given a off side field in his starting overs but still he was bowling on the leg side. He has fine pace but his line and length isn't impressive. It's about variations in England, if you don't have variations, you cant take wickets there. The wickets do help the bowlers but they will only help if the bowlers bowl in the right areas and more often than not, the Indian bowlers didn't do that. The only good bowler was Praveen. These mistakes which Vinay made yesterday are unacceptable at the international level. I know, I'm being harsh on this young lad but he has got a lot to learn before cementing his place in the Indian side. He needs to learn some variations.

After this series, the Indian selectors wont back down in giving young players a chance. Look at the current English team, do they have the players who are in their late 30's? I don't think anyone of them is in their late 30's. Not in the ODI's and not even in the tests. They have 16 counties and they can easily find experienced players but this doesn't always work or I should say this doesn't work for all the teams. They are a team full of young talent and all the young players are shining. Most importantly, these players are the future of the English team. I want to see the same with the Indian team. Once Sachin, Dravid, Laxmana and Zaheer retire, the young talent is our future. Giving them a chance today will improve our future or else the same will happen to us what happened to Australia. Mcgrath, Gilly, Hayden, Langer, Warne all retired one after another and suddenly the youngsters were representing their international side. They were certainly under pressure, they were representing the number 1 test and ODI side and they failed to do so successfully. I mean, this was always on the cards. How can young players replace legends like Mcgrath, Warne, Gilly and the others.

So, the young players from India got a good chance to play at the international level in this series. They are being developed for the future and now we know that Rahane, Parthiv and all the other young players who got the chance in this tour (apart from Varun) are good potential for the future. Hopefully, this tour will do a lot of good for us in the future.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
How can someone like Vinay Kumar made it to a International team is beyond me. He was average at best in the IPL. Even Irfan would have been a better choice than him in these conditions.

Owzat

International Coach
Really only a question of who's bowling was most ordinary, a contest India won! England may have gone unbeaten, but that side needs some repair work.

As per usual the pick of England's bowler doesn't bowl out his overs, poor captaincy. Again a nothing trundler bowls more overs than can truly be justified, made to look ok by the lacking bowling around him. What are Patel and Bopara doing bowling TWELVE overs between them, conceding 79 runs which I think is roughly what Larkins, Gooch and Boycott (looked up, 12-0-86-0) got lambasted for in the World Cup final all those years ago......................?

Yet again we can't wait to take the pressure off their batsmen, 20 overs gone at 84/2 we bring on Patel. After three overs of nothing from him we bring on Bopara then bring back Patel. WHY oh WHY oh WHY do England captains focus so much on "muddling" through the middle overs with bit-part bowlers and not as much on taking wickets? By the time both Patel and Bopara had finished giving the batsmen runs and Finn and Swann had both come back, India were 227/3 with the third wicket falling once Swann came back (Finn having bowled at the other end)

When the evidence is clear for anyone who needs supporting evidence, why don't England see it? 12 overs of nothing from one and sometimes both ends, the score going up by 145/1 in 22 overs. In a total of 304/6 off 50 overs, that is half the runs scored in what is supposedly the quieter part of the game. From a score that was in the balance, India had a fantastic platform from which to reach 300 and added 77 in the last eight overs from said platform.

If you take it on face value, we won. If you look at how the same side, bowling etc would fare in the World Cup, look back to the last World Cup. We need to resolve the fifth bowler problem, and the captain needs to stop trying to 'get through' overs with nothing bowlers, sure Patel was our "master plan" because we didn't pick a decent fifth bowler, but we still bowled 12 overs instead of just 10 and we still got that ball rolling in the 20th over when the game was in the balance rather than pushing for a breakthrough or two more. Sure, we can all say "well we won", but at that point it didn't look certain and the Indians might have defended their score better with better bowlers.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Only good thing fro this ODI series for India is that now they have a bigger pool of batsman to choose from. But where the hell are bowlers. There has to be atleast 5 or 6 fine bowlers in a country of billions. We just need to find them. Abu Nechim looks better than Vinay Kumar. Bowls at decent pace. He deserves a chance so does Varun Aaron.

----------

And BCCI need to look after players too while they are chalking up those tour programs. 19 Sep - 9 Oct Champions League. And then from 14th October another ODI series vs England in India. Wow :clap I guess we'll feild India A team for that:facepalm

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Can anyone confirm as to who all are definite to miss out for India, on the return limited overs leg, a month from now? As far as I know, Zaheer's the only certain absentee. Btw, I'm only interested to know the players (absentees) from the World Cup wining squad.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Zaheer is the only absentee that matters. We were doing fine in batting, its the bowling that sucks... Clone Zaheer :p

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
From the WC Team, off the top of my head...

Sachin, Sehwag, Gambhir, Zak, Nehra, Sreesanth, Yuvraj.

Yea.

Oh, and Bhajji.

And no Yusuf.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Now when England will tour India in October I am guessing this players will certainly play the series who missed out in England ODI seres :

Sachin, Sehwag, Gambhir, Yuvraj, Bhajji, Nehra.

In the absence of Zaheer, Nehra will be leading the attack with Praveen Kumar and as a 3rd bowler, I would love to see Varun but I think they will go with Ishant Sharma. Allthough I am pretty sure that they will keep Varun in the squad.

Users who are viewing this thread